What is the most useful minor in the original game?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

What is the most useful minor in the original game?

Post by brianmcfa »

Since I asked about the most useless, I thought I'd go with the most useful. For me, I think it depends on which empire I'm playing. Obviously the Vulcans and the Trill are very helpful technology-wise for when I'm playing the Feds or Ferengi, but I like it when I find the Yridians or another intel based minor when I'm the Romulans or Cardassians. Zakdorn and Andorians are a big help when it comes to training raiding ships for the Klingons.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: What is the most useful minor in the original game?

Post by Martok »

I think most would agree the Trill, Vulcans, and Zakdorn are all among the "first tier" minor races. I've never been unhappy to run into them! :)

Although they're still pretty good, I'm not as big a fan of the Andorians: Their star system tends to be just a very average size -- in my experience, 280-330 seems to be the norm for them -- and their training facility is the least effective in the game (although those who just dispatch their vessels on missions straight out of the shipyard obviously aren't going to care).

One minor I like a lot is the Edo. Obviously they're good for their morale structure, but they also generally have good-sized star systems in my games -- I've very rarely seen their system with less than 300, and 350-400 is not uncommon for them. In addition, the Edo start as Receptive to everyone, so it's easy to get that friendship treaty with them.

For similar reasons, I also like the Bajorans, especially when I'm playing as the Federation. (Not as much when I'm the Cardassians, though. :P )

I find the Ullians are nearly always a very nice minor race to have, no matter who I'm playing as. In addition to their intel attack bonus, they (again, in my experience) are the most likely race to have a very large system -- it's not uncommon for me to see them with populations of 400+, and I've seen them sport a star system with 500+ on a few occasions.

As mentioned in the other thread, I actually like the Mintakans quite a bit as well. They generally have a good-sized system (which at least partially makes up for their having low-technology structures), and of course they often offer to join you right away...especially if you *ahem* encourage them. :grin:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
CommodoreGray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CommodoreGray »

I'd go with the Edo, personally.
*+19% morale everywhere is invaluable--more industry, more research, more credits, all across the board.
*Friendly and easy to recruit with any empire.
*They even have their own home security system built in.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

My personal top 10

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I agree that the Edo are the best race in the game.

They even wanted to kill Wesley! Well, if that wasn't great, I don't know what is :lol:

Their base moral is insane, too, which easily earns them the Crown.

As I started playing this game, I always headed for the tech races. But not all of them are well. I liked the Bandi f.e. but now I don't anymore. I guess it has to do with my playstyle, which changed quite a couple of times. (also their system sucks)

Place #2 is really hard to determine.

It's between Vulcans and Trill imo.

The Vulcans have slightly better ships, tech bonus and often a better system compared to the Trill, who got a higher base moral for all the other major races. Vulcans get their highest moral with the Feds, where Trill don't care about the race at all.

It's really hard to put one above the other, so I'd say it's a tie.

Followed by the Bajorans on #3. I had tough games against the Cards and a race which doesn't like your opponent, is always nice to have (more so when it has ships). I've seen pretty good Bajoran home systems often, too.

Their ships are a joke but fast, which makes them not completely useless.

Zakdorn are awesome with a fairly big system. But you have to be lucky here. The cherry on the cake is, when it's also located in a key sector. A system on the edge of the wall renders the training facility totally useless ofc. However, a big system is always useful but I've seen huge variations. From 250s to a whopping 500ish system. The biggest system I've ever seen was a Zakdorn one, iirc.

They have a huge amount of orbs. It's probably the system with most of them. They're well developed and usually a great race to have.

Imagine a big 500ish Zakdorn system, in a key sector with a SB, lots of Orbs in it and a couple of major fleets... yummy. Might be the system with the most value and easily beat out Edo/Vulcans in its own way. But you have to be really lucky to get that. And this is the reason, why they hold the ungrateful 4th place.

(they're also kinda assholes)

What comes next? That's the big question. ;)

I'd go with Betazoids(#5) and Ullians(#9).

The (dis)advantage of the Ullians is that they don't like the Feds too much. They also tend to have a worse system compared to the Betazoids. I've seen a couple of really good ones but also an awful lot of 230ish ones... this is why I rated them down to #9. Perhaps I'm a bit too hard here to the Ullians...

Betazoids always seem to be in reach of the Feds. When you play them, it's really nice ofc but if you don't, it sucks.

Both have real good moral, not to talk about their internal security bonus. And this is why they belong in the Top 10.

Place 6 is going to be interesting again.

For me it's between Talarians and Tamarians.

Both of their ships can give you an edge in crucial states of the game and are fairly equal. Altough I find those of the Talarians a little bit better. But this might be a subjective feeling. Could be the looks, I can't explain it.

Tamarians are great, when you play Feds, esp. early on. (But) they are (too) friendly to anyone.
You can hail frequencies, while Talariens would attack you right away.
I like the agressiveness of the Talarians. And more so: they hate the Fergs! Which makes them a huge credit-sink for them. They can make a game really interesting, as they hinder the Fergs to spread out too quickly. And this might even give other Empires an edge. But it rarely happens.

Both systems seem to be pretty equal. I can't tell if I've ever seen a really small one. Either race is great to have in a key sector.

The little Tamarian tech bonus might be nice very very early on but pales in comparison to the one of the Talarians.

The base moral for the Talarians is pretty much balanced with an slight edge for Cardies,Klings and Roms.

A really tough decision again.

At the end, the better bonus makes this for me. This makes the Talarians #6 and leaves the Tamarians on #7.

I like the Chalnoth and Nausicaans, esp. when playing Klings.

Chalnoth (8) are hard to get, when you don't conquer them. But either way, the 100% weapon tech is definitely worth it and helps over their shitty system. The tech bonus can give a huge edge in an Empire, which is already good at research. Or help you catch up a little, when you've got inferior tech. Combined with the Klings' Weapon Bonus: a must have imo.

When you add the Angosians and their bonus, it makes for a really nice conquering combo.

I rank the Nausicaans (10) right after the Ullians(9).

Those are my top 10. Feel free to discuss :)
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

I guess I hadn't thought about the Edo. Having a monster that protects the system doesn't hurt any either.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

yup, although I've seen the AI manage to destroy the Edo God on several occasions. (don't ask me how they did it, it was just gone)
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Anyone with science and anyone with intel capabilities are always high on my radar. I tend to stay compact until I have my industry researched up high so anyone who'll help that go by faster is good for me :)
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: My personal top 10

Post by brianmcfa »

KrazeeXXL wrote:I agree that the Edo are the best race in the game.

They even wanted to kill Wesley! Well, if that wasn't great, I don't know what is :lol:

Their base moral is insane, too, which easily earns them the Crown.

As I started playing this game, I always headed for the tech races. But not all of them are well. I liked the Bandi f.e. but now I don't anymore. I guess it has to do with my playstyle, which changed quite a couple of times. (also their system sucks)

Place #2 is really hard to determine.

It's between Vulcans and Trill imo.

The Vulcans have slightly better ships, tech bonus and often a better system compared to the Trill, who got a higher base moral for all the other major races. Vulcans get their highest moral with the Feds, where Trill don't care about the race at all.

It's really hard to put one above the other, so I'd say it's a tie.

Followed by the Bajorans on #3. I had tough games against the Cards and a race which doesn't like your opponent, is always nice to have (more so when it has ships). I've seen pretty good Bajoran home systems often, too.

Their ships are a joke but fast, which makes them not completely useless.

Zakdorn are awesome with a fairly big system. But you have to be lucky here. The cherry on the cake is, when it's also located in a key sector. A system on the edge of the wall renders the training facility totally useless ofc. However, a big system is always useful but I've seen huge variations. From 250s to a whopping 500ish system. The biggest system I've ever seen was a Zakdorn one, iirc.

They have a huge amount of orbs. It's probably the system with most of them. They're well developed and usually a great race to have.

Imagine a big 500ish Zakdorn system, in a key sector with a SB, lots of Orbs in it and a couple of major fleets... yummy. Might be the system with the most value and easily beat out Edo/Vulcans in its own way. But you have to be really lucky to get that. And this is the reason, why they hold the ungrateful 4th place.

(they're also kinda assholes)

What comes next? That's the big question. ;)

I'd go with Betazoids(#5) and Ullians(#9).

The (dis)advantage of the Ullians is that they don't like the Feds too much. They also tend to have a worse system compared to the Betazoids. I've seen a couple of really good ones but also an awful lot of 230ish ones... this is why I rated them down to #9. Perhaps I'm a bit too hard here to the Ullians...

Betazoids always seem to be in reach of the Feds. When you play them, it's really nice ofc but if you don't, it sucks.

Both have real good moral, not to talk about their internal security bonus. And this is why they belong in the Top 10.

Place 6 is going to be interesting again.

For me it's between Talarians and Tamarians.

Both of their ships can give you an edge in crucial states of the game and are fairly equal. Altough I find those of the Talarians a little bit better. But this might be a subjective feeling. Could be the looks, I can't explain it.

Tamarians are great, when you play Feds, esp. early on. (But) they are (too) friendly to anyone.
You can hail frequencies, while Talariens would attack you right away.
I like the agressiveness of the Talarians. And more so: they hate the Fergs! Which makes them a huge credit-sink for them. They can make a game really interesting, as they hinder the Fergs to spread out too quickly. And this might even give other Empires an edge. But it rarely happens.

Both systems seem to be pretty equal. I can't tell if I've ever seen a really small one. Either race is great to have in a key sector.

The little Tamarian tech bonus might be nice very very early on but pales in comparison to the one of the Talarians.

The base moral for the Talarians is pretty much balanced with an slight edge for Cardies,Klings and Roms.

A really tough decision again.

At the end, the better bonus makes this for me. This makes the Talarians #6 and leaves the Tamarians on #7.

I like the Chalnoth and Nausicaans, esp. when playing Klings.

Chalnoth (8) are hard to get, when you don't conquer them. But either way, the 100% weapon tech is definitely worth it and helps over their shitty system. The tech bonus can give a huge edge in an Empire, which is already good at research. Or help you catch up a little, when you've got inferior tech. Combined with the Klings' Weapon Bonus: a must have imo.

When you add the Angosians and their bonus, it makes for a really nice conquering combo.

I rank the Nausicaans (10) right after the Ullians(9).

Those are my top 10. Feel free to discuss :)
I count 11 there. Edo, Vulcans, Trill, Bajorans, Zakdorn, Betazoids, Talarians, Tamarians, Chalnoth, Ullians, Nausicans. Yep, that's 11! LOL.

The only one that I might add would be the Benzites. If you are lucky enough to get them with a big system, you can crank out starships at an ungodly rate.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Vulcans and Trill share #2...
brianmcfa
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by brianmcfa »

KrazeeXXL wrote:Vulcans and Trill share #2...
I wonder if a Trill symbiote could survive in a Vulcan. They'd have to adapt to the copper blood but I suppose anything is possible.

Return to “General Chat”