Forum Pulse: What Star Trek Technology Would You Most Like?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Forum Pulse: What Star Trek Technology Would You Most Like?

Post by cleverwise »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea behind the "Forum Pulse" series is to get a better understanding of those that make up this community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: What Star Trek technology would you most like to see? I realize you would probably like to see almost all of it, if not all of it, but what do you feel would be the most beneficial technology to see?

Lead Off:

I choose the replicator. Of course warp drive, transporters, phasers, holodecks, etc are all awesome. However on a day-to-day basis I would really enjoy a replicator. You just say a word (or words) and out pops a meal, put the meal back in and say recycle, plus need a part or item just speak the word and there it is. No more need for a dishwasher, microwave, stove, oven, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc. Light bulb blew? No problem recycle the old one and replicate a new one! I mean just think of it!
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Forum Pulse: What Star Trek Technology Would You Most Li

Post by Martok »

Holo-deck. ;)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Transporter would be handy for my needs, especially during the summer months when I occasionally have to tow a trailer full of awkward equipment across country. No more hours of faffing around, swearing in several languages at traffic and idiotic sat-navs, just car it all onto the pad and be where I need to be ten seconds later :)

That said and done, if I could get hold of a Tardis though, even better :)
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
knightmaker79
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by knightmaker79 »

Well my wish-list would be more humanitarian... a cure for all of earth's diseases and medical ailments.

Always remember in Star Trek: The Voyage Home - Dr McCoy gives a kidney dialysis patient a pill to take and moments later the "medical staff" are astounded by her recovery. Would be bloody awesome to be able to cure cancer, HIV, Aids, liver disease, obesity, ME, MS and other diseases...

Other than that, a Starship to explore the cosmos!!!
"He's dead Jim" ~ McCoy to Kirk
"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative... at least on paper" ~ Captain Montgomery Scott to Lt Cmdr Geordi La-Forge
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

knightmaker79 wrote:Well my wish-list would be more humanitarian... a cure for all of earth's diseases and medical ailments.

Always remember in Star Trek: The Voyage Home - Dr McCoy gives a kidney dialysis patient a pill to take and moments later the "medical staff" are astounded by her recovery. Would be bloody awesome to be able to cure cancer, HIV, Aids, liver disease, obesity, ME, MS and other diseases...

Other than that, a Starship to explore the cosmos!!!
Even medical science has limits: i am still amazed they were not able to cure male baldness in the 24th century! Look at Picard and Sisko. :roll:
If i had to chose it would be FTL.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I have thought a while on this and still am not sure what technology I like best. Not only there are alot of techs in star trek but all have their downsides too.

What do I want with a warpdrive and travel across the galaxy all day long. It sounds awesome at first but I guess it soon would become pretty boring cuase in reality there's not near that much exciting stuff to find like you see in star trek.

A replicator is fine but the real interesting thing of creating lifeforms or body replacements is not possible in star trek and the rest you can also get without. Yeah it is handy to get all you want on demand but actually even that is not entirely true in star trek. You just get what is programmed and it can synthesize.

A transporter is the most horrible tech in Star Trek I can think off. They always say it's safe but anyone believing so must be pretty silly. Just think of disassembling yourself on atomic base. This is like instant death and on the other end just a copy gets replicated again. This is the real transporter tech I tell ya! :lol:
And even if not, take a shuttle and it would just take some little longer.
Also I'd not just choose a simple transporter if so, cause in Voyager I remember an episode where some species could travel many light years with their transporters.
But why travel that far.
However assuming it is safe, there is one episode I remember that gave a complete different use. That is in Rascals by accident they de-aged ppl back to childhood.
So if you just need to patch the transporter a little to transform it into a de-aging device that would be really awesome!

The Tricorder is a nice gimmick, but think on the Weapon the Vidiians had. It is far more advanced than the tricorder but when that means you have to mess with the phage, hell no! :lol:

I think the holodeck is one of the best inventions in star trek. However, by now I already can think of better techs becoming possible in not that distant future.
Right now we're still at a very early stage of virtual reality tech. E.g. there already exists tech to stimulate the eye's retina for people that lost sight (or never had), and sound signals can be transmitted to the brain direct also by now. Think hundred years or so ahead and people might ran around with borg-like implants enabling virtual reality like in eXistenZ , great movie btw.
Thinking on Unimatrix Zero and one independent borg colony we saw in Voyager before they entered borg room, in Star Trek there is far better tech than the holodeck.

Another great tech would be dimensional and time travel. For sure much more exciting than FTL. But it does cause me too much headaches to think on all the paradoxons I might cause and even though I'd hope for some better alternative realities, I guess I'd end up in some horror reality I'd just survive a few seconds and be dead.

Some interphased cloaking device would be awesome too, but only when it's mine alone. Already enough spies around in the world. :roll:

As long the de-aging device is not possible I think I'd choose either some advanced virtual reality tech like what the wadi used for the chula game or I think in one episode there's also been a headsup device for virtual reality though not sure what limits there are, or I'd choose the memory implant device of the Baneans. :)
If for the borg implants not half the brain would get replaced and I'd keep my free will and control the tech rather than it controls me, I'd pick that for virtual reality, health and all that.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

adi wrote:Even medical science has limits: i am still amazed they were not able to cure male baldness in the 24th century! Look at Picard and Sisko. :roll:

Roddenberry addressed this issue in an interview once. I can't quote it word-for-word, but he said something along the lines that by the time of the 24th century, no one would *care* about male-pattern baldness anymore. (Thus, whether or not a cure had been found for such would be irrelevant.) :)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Martok wrote:
adi wrote:Even medical science has limits: i am still amazed they were not able to cure male baldness in the 24th century! Look at Picard and Sisko. :roll:

Roddenberry addressed this issue in an interview once. I can't quote it word-for-word, but he said something along the lines that by the time of the 24th century, no one would *care* about male-pattern baldness anymore. (Thus, whether or not a cure had been found for such would be irrelevant.) :)
You are right, i remember reading about that somewhere; and also right about no one giving a *** about it; i know i don't; i just enjoy all the advantages (no need for hair product, for hair dryer, more aerodynamic ...)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote:I think the holodeck is one of the best inventions in star trek. However, by now I already can think of better techs becoming possible in not that distant future.
Right now we're still at a very early stage of virtual reality tech. E.g. there already exists tech to stimulate the eye's retina for people that lost sight (or never had), and sound signals can be transmitted to the brain direct also by now. Think hundred years or so ahead and people might ran around with borg-like implants enabling virtual reality
check this, I see Matrix coming, but first the Cyborgs: http://www.theprovince.com/health/Scien ... story.html
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

@Flocke: Rule of Acquisition #328: "A borg is a borg is a borg."
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Ah.... But what came first the Borg or the nanoprobe? :grin:
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Dr_Breen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Dr_Breen »

I'd pick the Matter-antimatter reaction.

it would solve all our problems.
Enough power to:
- run any car or transportation system
- run any device or machine
- produce enough drinking water out of salt water
- produce food (thanks to drinking water produced)
- produce heat or cold

> for everybody.

it perhaps even opens possibilities for Star travel.

check out ITER:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

really intresting project.
Public BotF / EF2 Teamspeak 3 Server: 83.169.13.55

Return to “General Chat”