A Few Questions

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

dwawilson
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

A Few Questions

Post by dwawilson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:01 pm

I bought the game when it first came out. I played one game and decided I didn't like it so I put on the shelf and forgot about it. I was looking at game forums on Steam and saw something about BOTF. I downloaded the multi-installer and tried the game again.

This game is actually quite good. The economic model is unusual and take somw getting used to but it is not as bad as I first thought.

After a couple of games I have some questions:

1. I attacked and invaded the Mintakins which were part of the Klingon empire. I was not given a choice to free the minor race when I invaded. From then on the Mintakins were listed as subjugated by me (Federation). I think the problem may be that the Mintakins had joined the Klingons by a membership pact rather than being subjugated by them. Is this why I couldn't free them? Is there anything else I can do?

2. When I invade an enemy system the inhabitants don't like me. I have to continually invoke matial law. Even then it only takes the morale to disgruntled. Will this ever improve?

3. The Klingons put a starship in a sector next to one of my colonies. The ship sat there for several turns. I finally brought a warship down. When I moved into the sector the Klingon ship moved that same turn. Hmmm, nothing like the AI knowing exactly what the human player is doing. Any suggestions on how to trap the enemies so I can eliminate some of there ships? I was at war with both the Klingons and Ferengi and found it nearly impossible to intercept their ships.

That's all for now. Thanks for your input. Live long and prosper.

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Re: A Few Questions

Post by cleverwise » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Well to the community! Yeah BotF is an awesome game. Sure it is dated but you can get really detailed with your strategies and tactics and it does matter!

As for questions:
1. I attacked and invaded the Mintakins which were part of the Klingon empire. I was not given a choice to free the minor race when I invaded. From then on the Mintakins were listed as subjugated by me (Federation). I think the problem may be that the Mintakins had joined the Klingons by a membership pact rather than being subjugated by them. Is this why I couldn't free them? Is there anything else I can do?
Correct. The minor must have joined the Klingons as a member and were not conquered. That is why you weren't given the option (unless a bug happened which can occur). You can find out the status of a minor by viewing the "Relationships" tab. That isn't secret information.
2. When I invade an enemy system the inhabitants don't like me. I have to continually invoke matial law. Even then it only takes the morale to disgruntled. Will this ever improve?
Well that's no surprise. Who wants to be conquered? However you can over time increase morale. As you win battles, add new members to your empire (conquer other systems for non Federation empires), liberate other worlds, and build structures that increase morale the conquered system's morale will improve. I have gotten conquered systems to fanatic many times. It just takes time and planning. For example if you want to conquer a system do it BEFORE membering that system that worships your empire.

See my thread on improving morale of the Federation (it will work on previously conquered systems too) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2774
3. The Klingons put a starship in a sector next to one of my colonies. The ship sat there for several turns. I finally brought a warship down. When I moved into the sector the Klingon ship moved that same turn. Hmmm, nothing like the AI knowing exactly what the human player is doing. Any suggestions on how to trap the enemies so I can eliminate some of there ships? I was at war with both the Klingons and Ferengi and found it nearly impossible to intercept their ships.
It can happen. If the enemy ships are in your space place your ships on intercept. Often you'll be successful but not every time.

Also are you playing any mods as things can change a bit.
Trek On,

Jeremy
Pssstt... I got a cute Tribble for you.

adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:33 pm

dwawilson wrote:
After a couple of games I have some questions:

yes; they were member-ed not conquered; you only get to free conquered minors/majors.
dwawilson wrote: 2. When I invade an enemy system the inhabitants don't like me. I have to continually invoke martial law. Even then it only takes the morale to disgruntled. Will this ever improve?
it will; you need to build +1 morale structures. morale it's tough with feds. might want to pause a few turns from conquering if they get rebellious; when a system rebels i think it's a negative morale event for feds it will bring down morale on all system; might get cascading; disgruntled is safe from rebellious bunt if you have systems at 50-sh morale and you want to keep them skip conquering for a few turns. Colonizing, signing peace treaties with major and wining battles are positive morale one time events. +1 morale structures are every turn. conquering is a negative morale event for feds;

There is a morale cap; you get some morale penalty by default depending on your current morale. Don't know the exact values, but it's something like this.
Let's assume you have a +1 empirewide; and a local +1 morale;

if your morale is below 75 you get 0 morale penalty; so every turn you're up +2 (plus or minus other events like battles and colonizing)
if your morale is >75 < 100 you get -1 morale penalty; so every turn you're up +1 (plus or minus other events like battles and colonizing)
if your morale is >100 < 125 you get -2 morale penalty; so every turn you're up +0 (plus or minus other events like battles and colonizing)
if your morale is >125 < 150 you get -3 morale penalty; so every turn you're up -1 (plus or minus other events like battles and colonizing)
if your morale is >150 < 195 you get -4 morale penalty; so every turn you're up -2 (plus or minus other events like battles and colonizing)

So once you reach 125 you're capped until you get more +1 morale structures.

The is a topic about this somewhere.
dwawilson wrote: 3. The Klingons put a starship in a sector next to one of my colonies. The ship sat there for several turns. I finally brought a warship down. When I moved into the sector the Klingon ship moved that same turn. Hmmm, nothing like the AI knowing exactly what the human player is doing. Any suggestions on how to trap the enemies so I can eliminate some of there ships? I was at war with both the Klingons and Ferengi and found it nearly impossible to intercept their ships.
I noticed that too; it's probably a bit of a cheat from the AI; what i do sometimes is put a scout on avoid combat in their range; they will move in the scouts's sector but since it was on avoid there will be no battle this turn; next turn it will be a battle so i move my war fleet there too. If i move the scout away most times they also leave the sector like they would know.

CommodoreGray
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CommodoreGray » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Welcome to the board. :grin:
dwawilson wrote: 1. I attacked and invaded the Mintakins which were part of the Klingon empire. I was not given a choice to free the minor race when I invaded. From then on the Mintakins were listed as subjugated by me (Federation). I think the problem may be that the Mintakins had joined the Klingons by a membership pact rather than being subjugated by them. Is this why I couldn't free them? Is there anything else I can do?
As noted above, this means they joined the Klingons willingly. There is something you can do, though, especially with the Federation's tons of cash and diplomacy bonus; if you send gifts at a minor that's affiliated or membered with another empire you'll make them like you more; then when they like you enough--Worshipful, basically--you can use a request to get them to leave the empire they're with, and then you can recruit them yourself. I use this every time I'm fighting someone with a membered minor race when I play as the Federation, rather than losing morale from invading the place.

But be warned of the Minor Race hidden from diplomacy bug, as it can prevent you from interacting with a minor race for the rest of the game:
viewtopic.php?f=241&t=1066

It's worth noting that a couple Minor races have a chance of offering to join you if you leave a ship in their sector a turn or so after meeting them; I've seen it with the Mintakans and the Mizarians.
It is worth noting that the Federation are a fairly poor representation of playing as other Empires; the others gain a bonus to morale when they conquer a system but the Federation gets a rather large penalty, so the others going on a conquering spree will placate the systems taken earlier but the Federation is just making things worse. Also, conquered homeworlds of the playable empires are even more troublesome than normal. Once you play as the other empires you start to really feel the morale pinch the Federation can have when it comes to winning wars.

The main things you can do are to keep the Federation Council or it's equivalent built and running as soon as possible; they will atleast prevent non-homeworld systems from breaking off without a catalyst and let you stabilize morale in them in the 60+ area (it depends on which race is living on the system; Ferengi and happier being Federation citizens than Romulans, for example) and prioritize recrutiing the Edo and the Bajorans if you see them; both have structures giving a Morale boost to every system you control. Definitely read cleverwise's Federation morale thread; it's got good info. One thing worth noting is the amount of morale you get for winning a ship battle is basd off the percentage of your fleet used, so sending half of Starfleet to smash one outpost is a great victory that can help people get over invading a system.

The Cardassians and Ferengi are both quite good at controlling conquered systems, being able to get +2 morale to them (the Cardassians are the only race without a Global morale boost structure, though).

Horrible secret: morale-wise, the Federation are possibly best off killing everyone on a planet through bombardment (use lots of ships to get it done as quickly as possible), then re-colonizing with loyal humans. Obviously not in the spirit of what the game intended, though, and you can miss out on upgraded infrastructure, so productivity will generally be lower in your new systems even when you factor in the morale penalty for conquered peoples. But the system is much quieter, especially if you have a Private Farm there.
Aside from using the Intercept command (it's more effective with Destroyers or equivalent in the taskforce), you can ignore enemy ships that aren't flying over one of your systems; if they move over it then attack them. If they were going to attack the system the battle should begin before the bombs fall.

Return to “General Chat”