Impossible things

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

kabataddab
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Impossible things

Post by kabataddab »

New to the boards, but I'm an experienced player, who's played a ton of games off the CD. Recently found the site and was excited to be able to play again on my Windows 7 machine.

I've been playing a game on the Impossible game mode in the vanilla version and am experiencing bizarre things that have never come up for me before. There are systems that have no planets, which should. For instance, when I found Selay it is an uninhabited system, with a star and no planets. I'd assume it's the Borg, but when playing off the CD, my experience is that the Borg leave behind all the planets as Class J Barren worlds and you can see the Borg scar marks on them. One turn, I was in a Ferengi system with a fleet of ships, had about 150+ scanner range. The system had a population of 245 over 4-5 planets. I hit turn, destroyed a couple of Ferengi ships, and then the next turn the system was uninhabited with no planets. No indication that the Borg or any other random event was present. What?! Also, I found Antede pretty late in the game. The system is uninhabited with several lush planets, but only one is terraformed. I might assume that the computer wiped out the population in an attack early in the game and nobody colonized it, but the one terraformed planet is a Barren world (no Borg scars) and my experience is that Antede always starts with Oceanic planets. Again, how cane this be?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? And if so what is going on?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Impossible things

Post by Flocke »

welcome kabataddab,
weird game but with random events active things can go crazy.
the systems with no planets, do they all have red stars? if so it's been the super nova event
systems with no population like you say can happen by bombarding
further the minor race evolution progress is coupled to the difficulty level
with a lower level it generally takes longer for them to evolve and can be beyond 100 turns
and yeah antede should have an oceanic planet but with random events on there can be climatic shifts by orbit change
nothing abnormal :)

cheers
kabataddab
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by kabataddab »

Hi Flocke,

Thanks for your explanations. Makes sense. Yes, all the systems with no planets do have red stars. I didn't even realize supernova's were one of the random events in the game. Maybe I knew at one time and forgot. When I was playing off the CD, I got so sick of the Borg showing up every game that I started turning random events off most games. I guess I should be lucky that none of MY systems have gone supernova yet. It's funny because right now I have the forces to stop the Borg, so I'm actually hoping they DO show up.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hehe yeah I always loved fighting the borg, most random events suck though
the Borg can be turned off easily in stbof.ini by adding the line
BORG=OFF
for the other events, in the Stuctured Modding Index somewhere you can find info how to disable or change them with some code fixes

Return to “General Chat”