Crash to Dektop

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

malishious_intent
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Crash to Dektop

Post by malishious_intent »

Hello all,

I am a loooong time fan and still have my BOTF CD-ROM hanging on the wall in front of me. I love some of the mods that are available here such as UDM and BoP. I have tried several times to mod my own vanilla game to make it according to my likes. However, I always seem to have issues with crashing to desktop once entering combat it seems. I use the most up to date editor to add ships to the game and I also adjust planet frequencies and populations. What are the most common reasosns to cause the crash to desktop bug?

Some more information to better assist:

WIN XP SP3
Installed from multi-main installer
New ships added from ship packs directly overwriting current models in vanilla. (I know there are ship limits so I replace some stock ships and I also play without aliens and replace their ships and those of the minor races and I play with random events off.)
I like Tethy's phasers and planets but havent added them yet.
Are the % size scaling of the ships cauing the issues?
I also like to make ships longer lived as I increase their hull and shield amounts and reduce number and damage of weapons. (not reaching hard limits here)

Any suggestions?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Crash to Dektop

Post by thunderchero »

malishious_intent wrote:I know there are ship limits so I replace some stock ships and I also play without aliens and replace their ships and those of the minor races
monsters/aliens are hard coded, I do not suggest changing them or using their slots. if you want to make them easier to deal with, change their stats lower.
malishious_intent wrote:I always seem to have issues with crashing to desktop once entering combat it seems.
make sure you are using "software" mode. also when this happens (and it normally will happen at same point entering combat screen) press the "tab" key on your keyboard as soon as combat starts. this will skip the rotate of over head view. then if crashing during combat action, use arrow buttons to rotate screen.
The reason I suggest this is, I am not sure if it is due to models or combat screen it self but it is one angle/view will cause crash.

thunderchero
malishious_intent
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by malishious_intent »

Thank you for your fast reply thunderchero. I will avoid replacing the monsters/aliens from now on. I remember reading somewhere that the scale of a model that is being replaced makes a difference. is this true? Should I be rescaling the new models before I add them to the game?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

malishious_intent wrote:I remember reading somewhere that the scale of a model that is being replaced makes a difference. is this true?
only if the model you are adding is sharing a slot with another ship, then scale and phasers must match before it can be added.

thunderchero

Return to “General Chat”