Are the Ferengi "lucky"?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Are the Ferengi "lucky"?

Post by Martok »

So here's something I've long wondered...

I've noticed for years now that when playing as the Ferengi (or the Dominion in a total-conversion mod like UM5/UDM3) that I generally seem to have a noticeably better early game as compared to playing the other four powers: I usually seem to find more good systems for colonization, and even the minor races I run into early on seem to be more likely to be the "better" ones. (It's currently happening to me -- yet again -- while playing a Dominion campaign in UM5, which is what spurred me to post this.)

It's not universal, of course. I obviously still get bad starts as the Ferengi/Dominion, just as I do with the Cards, Feds, Klingons, and Roms. But I'd swear there's an imbalance here: Far and away the largest percentage -- and maybe even an outright majority -- of my "Monty Haul" campaigns have been as the Fergs/Doms.

Given that, I'm just wondering if any of you modders have ever found anything in the code indicating that perhaps the Ferengi get some sort of bonus or "leg up" regarding the star systems surrounding their home system goes. Yes? No? Am I completely mad? :roll:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Are the Ferengi "lucky"?

Post by KrazeeXXL »

The funny thing about the human brain is, that esp. when it comes to randomness, we're trying to see patterns when there are none.

So, you might've gotten lucky 9 out of 10 times as Fergs when it was just 1/10 as Cards. But due to randomness it doesn't really mean anything. You could get lucky 100 times in a row. Or you could get unlucky a dozen times. It's all subjective.
cochran556
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Are the Ferengi "lucky"?

Post by cochran556 »

I'm sure there's a rule of acquisition somewhere that says if you're not cheating you're not trying lol ;)

Return to “General Chat”