ST still is...

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

ST still is...

Post by KrazeeXXL »

in our hearts:

http://whatistng.ytmnd.com/
(this fad looks funny but truly isn't... - just posted it for the old times sake)

Seriously. JJ was the downfall. I defended "it" before it came out. I didn't think that ST could be killed.

But now we're here. :(

ST is pretty much dead at this point. All of us know that it's pretty much dead. But you know - whatever will be - ST will be in on our hearts!

Could you do me a favour and write a few words about how ST influenced your life or what it still means to you?

I'm on a brink. Life-long ST fan and idealist. At least I thought so. But as times are changing, my views are, too. It's hard to keep up the ST philosophy in real life. Too much black and white going on and too much framed discussions. I just miss the old days. I don't say that they were more simple because the just weren't. They were different.

So how to keep the spirit of ST alive? I'm aware that we're idealists here. Realists, too. Perhaps too much for our own good. But what can we do? ST pretty much died and I totally pushed it away. Probably, I'm not the only one who did so. We were idealists, utopists... idiots. (?!)

I just feel empty and this place reflects it as it got empty, too. We were an interesting bunch of people over here and I know that I said some things that pissed people off. But hey, that's the internet. And I'm only one side of the story... We're mature; have to deal with worse shit.

Are we - the people I knew to be the true ST fans - gone? Did JJ just flipped the bird and pushed us away?

Or are you still here from time to time? How are you doing? Give me a live-sign. Even if I blocked you on facebook or whatever. Heck, even if you don't like me or I pissed you off in the past. Let me hear what you have to say about all of this. We grew older and I hope our discussions will be wiser. This is an attempt. Lets see were it'll lead to.

Lets talk about something ST. I miss it. But please keep it civil. We've feelings and beliefs (and shit).

We got to know each other. We hurt each other. We pretty much killed the community. You can blame me if you have to. And I admit that I definitely did my part. What I've shown here of myself wasn't the person I always wanted to be. But all of us have to deal with reality. We just aren't Geordy or Spock even if we wanted to. They're inhuman role models and we're just humans of the imperfect 21st century. We've to solve our problems and this forum was often used as an outlet.

So yea. Let me know. Esp. if you're lurking or almost forgotten about this, our place.

kind regards

K
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Re: ST still is...

Post by captaindusk »

Oh dear pal...I really hope you're ok...this post concerns me a bit. And even if I am more of a lurker and reader when it comes to Internet Forums in general I feel the need to respond to it. For various reasons.

First one is that I can fully relate to your feelings. Even if I speak little on here I know exactly what you mean. When we arrived here in early 2009 there were a heck of things going on here. Tourneys, a sheer endless amount of mods that took hours to install them (at least if someone was a freak like me who always had them all installed parallel to each other thanks to the multi installer) :-D, and breakthroughs in game mechanics at every corner of the board.
We all had several interesting discussions, helped each other out, and started pic, music or funny video threads and laughed our a**** off bc of them. We discussed episodes, wondered what direction ST would take and challenged each other with our knowledge of this amazing franchise.

I don't think ST is dead. And that is simply because of the same thing that McCoy said at the end of ST II about dead Spock. Something like:

"He ain't really dead. As long as we'll remember him".

My feelings concerning ST have changed as well. But I don't see it that negative. The possible future Star Trek showed us will always be unique and the tons of people who got influenced by it will keep the spirit alive.
Regarding TV shows in general I think that their makers surf on a wave of darkness and dystopia atm. There are a ton of drama series out there atm that get more effed up and darker as the seasons progress. (Breaking Bad, GoT, The Walking Dead, Dexter and so on). And while I like some of those series and also watch them regularly, i think that at some point the audience will be fed up with the darkness and dystopia and that's the point where it will become positive again. Just think of Sam Beckett and Al Calavici besides Star Trek. Or all the other shows that had the core message that the world can be a better one if people help each other out and keep friendships and communities strong and going.

I really appreciate your attempt of tying this community on here back together and I hope that some more peeps other than me will respond to it. I am certain that this is still a place that can create friendships and good memories. One just has to make the first attempt. Which you just did. I personally am grateful for that. And for every conversation we have. We also have pissed each other off multiple times, sometimes severely, and I am also one of the peeps that blocked you on FB. But in the end, no matter what, I ended up missing you dude. We are strong characters, we make mistakes, but we are also able to apologize and make each other think. And therefore we are friends.

Peace and see ya soon!

cd
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well you raised several different topics.

1) ST isn't dead and far from it. Is the official ST what we grew up with and many think of ST well no but in some ways that is okay. The idea of ST is timeless: growth, expansion, discovery, the future. Those topics aren't going anywhere. CBS has announced a new ST series that will come to TV. So the official ST does and will live on.

As for ST as a whole it is in better hands than ever. You have more and more fan based productions like Axanar (and there are many many others) that are allowing ever increasing stories based in ST to be told. Axanar is trying to be very true to traditional Trek cannon. I mean just look at the production quality and loyalty toward cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

ST is actually becoming a story told by fans to fans. What can be stronger than that? Like my discussions about Linux ST won't be forgotten or contained. It is and will be forked and retold and inspire new stories by new people.

2) What ST means to people is obviously a very personal experience. To me it represents hope, expansion, and discovery. So many modern technologies are because of ST. The actors in many videos talk of doctors, scientists, engineers, and others saying I got into my profession because of ST and those people are making real life changes. That impact does and will continue. ST continues this inspiration and the vision is far from dead.

3) As for this specific community some have dropped away and some have joined. It is because of the power of ST and BotF that it even continues. The light has the power not the dark. Dark never wins against light. When you turn on a light the dark must and does give way. Dark can only return when light stops itself and the dark is ready to give way immediately when light returns.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi KrazeeXXL and everyone else,
KrazeeXXL wrote:Are we - the people I knew to be the true ST fans - gone? Did JJ just flipped the bird and pushed us away?
as you said we are still here, just a little older, a little wiser, and a little busier dealing with real life
I see many still visit but most just read and move on to their twitter feed or what ever they are currently into.
KrazeeXXL wrote:ST is pretty much dead at this point. All of us know that it's pretty much dead. But you know - whatever will be - ST will be in on our hearts!
I disagree, I look at JJ's universe is for the new generation of trekker. and most of us here don't like it. but the new generation of trekker see Star Trek and visit site and maybe they will someday see star trek as we do.

As for the game, when we fix all of the issues plaguing this game there will be more activity. (I still believe this is possible)
Also I have been working with SCT on update of ECM 4.0, and I just discovered a fix suggest by Joker that SCT read about many years ago. The fix mainly only effect vanilla style game using original hobs. it fixes the nasty evade/retreat crash and they are all but gone. The problem was the graphic engine would lose focus while switching texture for lod (level of detail). A major hob edit is necessary a.hob set to only use a.gif then create copy of edited a.hob and rename to b.hob and c.hob, now the switching crash is almost eliminated (I have not seen one since change) plus we can return the using the better 512 x 512 textures. I have been working to improve some of the original textures and replacing others.

and to everyone out there, Keep reading you never know when a break though might happen. :wink:

Edit;
How ironic this was my 5000 post :mrgreen:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

A late answer from me. I've been busy lately and didn't expect any replies. So, at first I'd like to thank you for taking your time answering me.
captaindusk wrote:Oh dear pal...I really hope you're ok...this post concerns me a bit. And even if I am more of a lurker and reader when it comes to Internet Forums in general I feel the need to respond to it. For various reasons.
haha, no need to worry. I guess it sounded more dramatic as I meant it to be. Well, for one part it's bad to get ST ripped out of my life. Feelsbadman.jpg

However, I hoped to lure you out of the shadows with my post, pal. :P It's been a while and there's no need for concern. I'm totally fine. These are tough times, and rewarding ones, too. They're fun times, amazing times and difficult times for all kinds of different reasons. But lets talk about this in private when you find the time.
captaindusk wrote: I don't think ST is dead. And that is simply because of the same thing that McCoy said at the end of ST II about dead Spock. Something like:

"He ain't really dead. As long as we'll remember him".
Great analogy. :)

I like to think so, too, when it comes to dear missed people in my life. I should do the same with ST.

captaindusk wrote: My feelings concerning ST have changed as well. But I don't see it that negative. The possible future Star Trek showed us will always be unique and the tons of people who got influenced by it will keep the spirit alive.
Regarding TV shows in general I think that their makers surf on a wave of darkness and dystopia atm. There are a ton of drama series out there atm that get more effed up and darker as the seasons progress. (Breaking Bad, GoT, The Walking Dead, Dexter and so on).
well, there you're raising an interesting point. While I like GoT, the story and characters and pretty much everything about it, it's just dark. Perhaps people got so desensitized that shows (and computer games for that matter) got more brutal over time. The bar needs to be raised obviously and GoT, BB, Dexter and so on did that well.
captaindusk wrote: And while I like some of those series and also watch them regularly, i think that at some point the audience will be fed up with the darkness and dystopia and that's the point where it will become positive again. Just think of Sam Beckett and Al Calavici besides Star Trek. Or all the other shows that had the core message that the world can be a better one if people help each other out and keep friendships and communities strong and going.
Quantum Leap was pretty much the pinnacle of doing good things and saving the day. In a different way ST did, though. Both represent an entire era. And it not only feels gone. It pretty much is. (I'd happily be called "Often Wrong" about this)
cleverwise wrote: The light has the power not the dark. Dark never wins against light. When you turn on a light the dark must and does give way. Dark can only return when light stops itself and the dark is ready to give way immediately when light returns.
With all the (light) pollution it got really hard to visit the stars. I love your analogy, though.
captaindusk wrote: I really appreciate your attempt of tying this community on here back together and I hope that some more peeps other than me will respond to it. I am certain that this is still a place that can create friendships and good memories. One just has to make the first attempt. Which you just did. I personally am grateful for that. And for every conversation we have. We also have pissed each other off multiple times, sometimes severely, and I am also one of the peeps that blocked you on FB. But in the end, no matter what, I ended up missing you dude. We are strong characters, we make mistakes, but we are also able to apologize and make each other think. And therefore we are friends.

Peace and see ya soon!

cd
Thanks for your post and sorry for my inadequate reply. When I started this topic I was in a melancholic mood which I'm not at this moment. This makes it a bit hard to answer. Also, I should've answered earlier.

thunderchero wrote:and to everyone out there, Keep reading you never know when a break though might happen. :wink:

Edit;
How ironic this was my 5000 post :mrgreen:
Wow. 5000 posts and then it happened in my thread, too. It's great to see you and SCT still working on this game. I'm glad, that you got busy with other things, too. As captaindusk was worried about me writing this topic, sometimes I got worried about you, too.

ST and forums are great places to escape to. Well, I'll check in from time to time as I always did. I'd love to see some stability improvements. No need to make breakthroughs. Little, steady steps will lead somewhere and won't be that exhausting. I hope you'll continue to watch over this community. With cleverwise you have good support on the technical server side. Good to know that this site and the game are in such capable hands.

thunderchero wrote:I disagree, I look at JJ's universe is for the new generation of trekker. and most of us here don't like it. but the new generation of trekker see Star Trek and visit site and maybe they will someday see star trek as we do.
An optimistic opinion. I'd like to borrow it if you don't mind.

All of you made some great points. Sorry, if I didn't answer each and every one specifically. You'd definitely deserved some better answers. However, I didn't want to start discussions. Mainly, I just wanted read what you think.

So... what I take from you guys is positivity, a bit rationalism (can't hurt) and a good dose of light to brighten up the black hole "into darkness" left in my heart. Seriously, that did more to me than a billion of Jar Jar's lense flares could've ever done. So, I have to thank you. ;)

cleverwise wrote:ST is actually becoming a story told by fans to fans. What can be stronger than that?
:up:
Weedwacker
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Weedwacker »

I'm still here, breathing....Looking to make some headway in the world again
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I pop in on occasion as well. More lurking than anything else right now. True RL gets in the way for all of us at times but I will never forget my passion for Trek. I grew up watching TNG, DS9 and Voy. I sat in the dark at my grandmother's house watching the 3 episode mini marathons of TOS at 2am on PBS as a young boy before I ever knew anything about Trek. And of course my friends here in AFC, those years were fun times and you all are a great bunch of people. See, Star trek didn't die, it evolved and it's underlying mission of discovery, equality and togetherness have never been more prevalent than in this community here. :)
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

Here, an article a friend of mine put together for the 50th Anniversary. He makes some real good points.
http://fanfest.com/2016/09/08/why-today ... star-trek/
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
HsojVvad
Commodore
Commodore

Post by HsojVvad »

JJ didn't ruin it, or flip the bird. Star Trek Insurrections and Nemesis did that or the writers and crappy directing ruined Star Trek. It was ruined way before JJ got his hands on it.

As for what Star Trek influenced me or means to me? I don't think it influenced me at all. I was what 7 or 8 years old. I loved Star Wars but it was a movie thing and Star Trek was on TV where I could watch it every day or was it every weekend? Damn 43 years ago was a very long time. :P

I loved science fiction when I was a kid. So I loved watching Star Trek. While it was nerver as great looking as Star War (what did I know I was 7 at the time and I didn't know Star Trek came out before by 10 years or so) but even the cheesy graphics it was still good. While being a nerd, no wait wasn't smart enough to be a nerd, not cool enough to be with the cool crowd, that would make me a geek? Star Trek would give me a few hours a week away from real life or reality and could be in a fantasy/sci fi world. While I could only watch Star Wars every 3 years once in the theater, Star Trek was there every week. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
zozozo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zozozo »

nah JJ did kill it. Insurrection was a decent film. Nemesis sucked, but we can all forget one bad film. It was the people who hold the franchise who decided to re-market it to the teen action sci-fi crowd like Star Wars, that killed Star Trek. They retconned everything lol and tried a different direction.

But it's ok. It's not like they can erase the past. We'll always have that.

Star Trek is an idealist fiction. It doesn't really affect me much irl, apart from influencing my idea of who I want to be maybe. There are periods of years where I don't watch any episodes or have Star Trek in my mind at all, but I'll always appreciate the works of art they are and their influence on my youth watching the shows as a kid.

And they'll always be a yardstick that I'll measure other shows by cos some of series' were amongst the best tv ever. Old trek shows were thematically deep and full of messages, like Brechtian theatre, but on at primetime.

Trek lives on in all the people who saw it before and were touched by it's ideals and good storytelling. I like to think of BSG as something that was influenced by Trek. As long as the show has a positive influence in the world like that then it'll never really be dead.

And in the meantime I'll just wait for something else.
T'Amana
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by T'Amana »

Hi KrazeeXXL-
I just joined here today, but hopefully that statement proves there's still life in the ST world? I think that once again trek will live in the fans hearts until the powers that be think they can turn profit from it again...When the Great Bird died, the franchise fell into hands that couldn't or wouldn't follow Gene's vision.
I will say I HATED all the TNG movies- It's taken many years to successfully banish them from my mind. The Reboots are brain dead but with all the thoughtfully provided lens flares I couldn't really see how bad they were- lol.
Anyways I've been a trekker (trekkie) for decades and the TNG books helped me so much. I am from a small town and never really had friends who were into science or sci-fi. Additionally I did not get satellite until I was 15 and NBC didn't carry the franchise- so books it was. Reading all those technical jargon filled sentences actually helped me get the highest reading comprehension scores in my high school on the ACT in four years. So, thanks to all those TNG books I may not always know what your talking about, but if you write it down and give me a sec or two- I'll figure it out.

As of now- JJ didn't flush the series, he was the plunger after all the tp got stuck. When TOS first came out society was willing to look at itself and see the problems and (kicking and screaming) was willing to solve them. Nowadays people are too afraid to confront to do what is needed to change (with good reason). You will not get writers creating a race based on a real world people or religion to confronts issues - they would be labeled racist, imperialist, or some other 'ist'. Gene explored social issues with theatrical make-up- all the studios want is pretty and flashy with no substance. (7 boob of 9, T'Pol- are catsuits that tight really logical?)

Really, honestly ST has been stalled a long time- didn't a bunch of writers for TNG leave for stargate? Anyways Kaiidth: What is, is.

Live Long and Prosper
~T'Amana

Return to “General Chat”