Mod suggestions for new player

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Redhanded7
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Mod suggestions for new player

Post by Redhanded7 »

After starting to listen to "The 50 Year Mission" audiobook, go the itch to finally get around to trying ST:BotF. I have my original copy still sealed (although the box is fairly beat up now) so it was great to be able to get the the multi installer version, updated for modern OS systems.
I would like some suggestions on which mods I should consider based on the following:
1. Fixes for bugs and glitches for vanilla BotF
2. The Dominion as a major race.
3. Stability of mods and how well they play with other mods used
Based on what I've read on the mod descriptions, looks like either the AFC or Error Correction 4.0 and/or the Balance of Power mod used with either the Galaxies, Ultimate Dominion or Ultimate mod. Or if you think I should try some other variation there of, feel free to recommend that .

Thanks in advance.
Redhanded
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Mod suggestions for new player

Post by Martok »

Welcome to AFC, Redhanded7! :)

From what you've said, either the Ultimate Dominion Mod 3 (UDM3) or Ultimate Mod 5 (UM5) are the mods to recommend to you.

Galaxies also has the Dominion as a playable race. However, it's not as balanced or polished due to still being in an alpha/beta state (and unfortunately is no longer being updated, as the mod's creator stopped working on it).

Mods cannot be mixed together, so one can't combine the Balance of Power (BOP) mod together with UM5, for example.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Redhanded7
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Redhanded7 »

Glad you pointed out the one mod at a time rule to me. Think I'll give UM5 a try first. Thanks for the recommend and the welcome!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy the mod (UM5 is one of my favorites)! :D
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

Hi,

3 best mods, imo, are BOP, UM and UDM. I prefer BOP over the others, except for the problem of invasion being so difficult, because the design goal of having the factions feel different while maintaining a kind of balance has been achieved, though the faction balance is definitely not perfect. I also like the Ferengi voice acting. But no Dominion. UDM is probably the most balanced, but this was achieved by making all of the factions almost identical; it's probably the best choice for MP. The factions in UM are only slightly more differentiated, and are not balanced: Dominion is by far the worst and the Klingons are slightly but definitely the best.

Anyway,

Ken

Return to “General Chat”