Star Trek Discovery (SPOILERS)

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

eber3
Captain
Captain

Star Trek Discovery (SPOILERS)

Post by eber3 »

Last edited by eber3 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Martok »

Nope, still don't care.

Between CBS putting the show on their for-pay "All-Access" service and (perhaps more importantly) the way they screwed over Axanar -- and by extension, all other fan films/projects -- they can suck my left nut.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Yeah, I don't blame you. From everything I'm hearing about the show, it doesn't sound very promising to me... however I'm still somewhat interested in seeing it and hopeful that it's good. That said, no way am I going to pay extra to watch it. I already pay for satellite tv which includes CBS, which is where it SHOULD be airing in the first place. I'll just wait for it to be available on dvd then watch it from Netflix.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Yeah my interest in CBS and Paramount ST has gone down hill after the Axanar lawsuit. However I also feel like that team sold out. Axanar higher ups talked all big about fighting to the end then just said we surrender.

Now granted they are a small team VS the giants of CBS and Paramount but still all that talk about fighting for years if needed and then just say nah we quit. That took a lot of the wind out of the sails for Axanar IMO. Plus now they are going to change it in major ways so it won't conflict with ST yet they are still trying to say it is ST. Nope.

Axanar's interest, for me, was building on the ST lore before Kirk arrived and expanding the ST universe. Now that they will change it in major ways it is just another sci-fi ST knock off.

ST seems to be finished. CBS and Paramount have done a great job at killing it.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Well I'm glad you're still able to look forward to Discovery with at least some degree of optimism, eber. I wish I could say the same for myself, but I'm with cleverwise; I think that Star Trek on TV/movies is done, at least in a form I could recognize/enjoy.

cleverwise wrote:Yeah my interest in CBS and Paramount ST has gone down hill after the Axanar lawsuit. However I also feel like that team sold out. Axanar higher ups talked all big about fighting to the end then just said we surrender.

Now granted they are a small team VS the giants of CBS and Paramount but still all that talk about fighting for years if needed and then just say nah we quit. That took a lot of the wind out of the sails for Axanar IMO. Plus now they are going to change it in major ways so it won't conflict with ST yet they are still trying to say it is ST. Nope.

Axanar's interest, for me, was building on the ST lore before Kirk arrived and expanding the ST universe. Now that they will change it in major ways it is just another sci-fi ST knock off.

ST seems to be finished. CBS and Paramount have done a great job at killing it.

Some excellent points, cleverwise.

Yes, CBS/Paramount have taken the completely wrong approach to Axanar (and fan projects in general), but it was sorely disappointing how the Axanar people suddenly decided to give up and roll over after all their brave talk. Perhaps they had very good reason(s) to do what they did, but if so, then they shouldn't have been constantly talking about "fighting the good fight" in the first place. As it is, I suspect a lot of folks (especially those those who were donors) feel betrayed/screwed over by them almost as much as by CBS/Paramount.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Martok wrote:Well I'm glad you're still able to look forward to Discovery with at least some degree of optimism, eber.

I'm not sure how much Optimism I have. More like wishful hoping... kind of like hoping Santa Claus comes on Christmas Eve even though I know he doesn't exist... but gee, wouldn't it be neat if he DID show up?

Anyway, here's the second part of this guys video....

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n8lnCB ... e=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

If those are really Klingons, then I think they've already ruined the show before it started, they look like reptile humanoids. We've already got two styles of Klingons, we definitely don't need more. These look more like the Remans than klingons. I hope whoever said they are Klingons is just wrong or purposely misleading people. (See it's not Optimism!!!! It's just wishing REALLY REALLY hard that this show won't suck!)
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM[/BBvideo]

Well... the special effects look pretty good... but they look WAY to advanced for the time period they are set in. Supposed to be ten years before the original series, but the tech looks more advanced than Voyager. They didn't even use the old style transporter effect. The Klingons look completely ridiculous. They don't look Klingon at all, they look like a Xindi race from Enterprise. The acting, not that we see a whole lot of it here, seems very flat and two dimensional. So far it appears this series would have been better off as a new scifi series, rather than trying to call it Trek.... just like the Jar Jar Abrams movies.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Yeah, that was pretty much my impression(s) from the trailer as well. A pity, but not that surprising. :( Oh well; it's not like I ever had high hopes for this one anyway.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

here some new ST Discovery cast photos. Looking good imo.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/new-st ... de-images/
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Eh, the uniforms look ok. The emblems should be cloth since this is pre TOS, but that's a very minor nitpick. The ships still look more advanced than Voyager, and the Klingons still look horrid. Still looks like Jar Trek to me.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

lol @Jar Trek.

I read that Jonathan Frakes will direct an episode of Discovery and he'll also direct an Episode of the Orville. Sounds cool to me.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

I agree with Jar Jar Trek. For me Discovery can be wrapped in a single word: "Nope!"

Orville looks more Trekkish than Discovery. I mean why go ten years before Kirk or try to claim original time line? Ridiculous!

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

About the "horrid" looking Klingons. I guess the same was said by the TOS fans as Worf appeared in TNG. At this point we know nothing about the story. What I know is that Klingons changed in the past and they now look more warrior"ish".

I'm a bit stunned about the negativity towards the new series. I think we should be glad that ST is continued.

The TV landscape has changed dramatically in the past years. Now, anyone can raise criticism. All of the ST shows were on the brink of being cancelled. Don't forget that. They probably have to take a different approach this time.

And as it was with JJ's movies, I'd rather watch the new show open minded and with a positive mindset than dwelling in negativity before it even started.

There's enough time for negativity in the future.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well to each their own, however my biggest issue with Discovery is their claim to stick to the prime canon and then totally disrespect it.

As I stated they should have either just did a total series reboot like Battlestar Galactica in the 2000's or simply gone forward 200 years or something and then they could pretty much do what they want in the prime canon.

However nope. This is right before Kirk yet they totally with no real reason make major changes while trying to pretend it is prime canon.

Frak that and them!

TNG didn't say we are 10 years before or after Kirk! Nope. They went almost 100 years after Kirk where the time line was extremely open.

Besides why must all Trek shows be around the Federation. Why not create a show around another major power where the field is almost totally open even in the prime canon.

At least we still have the other Trek shows. :-) It is a real shame CBS destroyed Axanar.

Jeremy
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I'm going to watch the first episode of the Orville now. Not sure what's going to await me. I'm looking forward to it :)

Return to “General Chat”