Cardassians, does AI hate them?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Cardassians, does AI hate them?

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I have been running many TPT tests and on almost every test so far the AI will eliminate the Cardassians first. My current streak is 7 tests games with each time cards gone first, most of the time before turn 200.

I just thought it was funny, maybe I should start testing playing as the Cardassians? lol
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Cardassians, does AI hate them?

Post by Martok »

If we're talking about the vanilla game, then yes the Cardies generally get taken out first in my games as well. This is especially true on Tech 1 games, but even on higher settings they still tend to be eliminated before everyone else.

The empire that gets eliminated the second-most often are the Romulans. I'm guessing that since they're more or less the "jack of all trades" race (pretty decent at everything, but not great at any one thing), the AI just doesn't know how to play them as effectively.

The Klingons are a distant third. It seems like how well they do in a game (when played by the AI) tends to be situational: A poor starting position will likely sink them, but given a decent starting position (or even just an average one), they can be downright formidable. I've had plenty of games where Qo'nos ended up being my main rival. :)

Unless I'm the one that takes them out, I rarely see the Feds or Ferengi eliminated by the AI (although it *does* happen -- just not often). I can pretty much count on one of these two empires being my main rival more often than not.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Yup, Cards are probably the worst. I remember only two or three games where the AI was "successful" in playing them.

Perhaps the AI has too much focus on intel buildings combined with higher ship costs.

Iirc ship costs were balanced out this way because of the stronger hull. They took a bit longer to build, too.
Not sure about the exact numbers. Haven't looked in UE nor played the Cards for a very long time.

The AI might mess up build orders as well and may not be able to pump ships out as fast as it really needs to compete.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

I think it mostly due to the fact that the Cardassian AI are always trying to sabotage everyone at once, though never really focus agaisnt agaisnt one empire typically. They end up accomplishing nothing, except pissing others off.

Also, doesn't help that they don't build Heavy Cruisers, at least in Vanilla.
Final Run
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Final Run »

But sometimes... (Turn 303)

(Turn 413)

Playing on the ECM
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but every once in a while the Cards get big in a game. It's always fun to see when that happens.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

Final Run wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:54 pm But sometimes... (Turn 303)

(Turn 413)

Playing on the ECM
Nice!
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Yeah, the Cardies always seem to get trashed by the other empires especially if you play with a low development level. The Ferengi seem to be like a disease that propagates rapidly across the Galaxy and the Klingons have also have had strong games where they are an unstoppable force.

If it wasn't for their sabotage, I'd prefer a strong affiliation treaty or alliance with them. The Klingons are to untrustworthy and the Klingon AI player seems to lose its mind and break treaties whenever they decide I have no honor. The Romulans even seem to be more stable than the Klingons. They are either on your side or not.

I wish we knew more about why the AI acts this way with specific factions, if its a bug or it was intended to be that way. I also noticed that whenever I am seeded in the middle of the Galaxy, all of the other factions try to eliminate me first.

Fortunately with Ultimate Editor you can give the Cardies more orbital batteries so they last a bit longer against the other empires. I can also hold out with the Federation because I edit the ship stats to make them a bit better than they are in Vanilla. Most of the Federation ship stats are garbage compared to the other factions with the exception of the Sovereign, Defiant and Constellation. I give the Klingon ships cloaking.

Return to “General Chat”