Thank you for ten incredible years

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Thank you for ten incredible years

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I feel after ten years it's time for a big thanks to this amazing community, especially thunderchero, for taking over the matters as main admin after the demise of the old forums on Apr 25, 2008.

When logging in, from time to time one can see many of the long time members still popping in(albeit most of them not posting). Alone that shows what value this page still holds for them, although the most vibrant times 2008 - 2010 belong to the past.

But what do I know? I wasn't around when phaser-hero DCER got the phasers to work (2006 I think), nor later when the great QuasarDonkey contributed outstanding work like his BotF-patcher.

After my last quest for the AI ram code, for my part, I see pretty much no undiscovered scientific riddles in the BotF assembly code anymore (wrt ingame mechanics at least). EDIT: My IDA-notepad still notes: Tactical Combat -> Status -> 'Beam' and 'Field' unknown.
I even investigated mystic hints like the surrender of single AI empires(but unless Martok was playing a special edition, there is no code for such a thing).

At the same time, I hope AFC can keep the great legacy, and at least a low level progress, of BotF and successor projects for the years to come. :up:

Way back, Gowron asked me to visit this community even after my most active period from time to time. And I'll make it so. :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Thank you for ten incredible years

Post by Martok »

Cheers to a great game, and a great community!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Visiting time to time and seeing this community still active brings joy to my heart.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

If there was one game that really got me soaked up, it is BotF. And even after all these years I still feel related to this game as well as to this community. And I'm sure this counts for many of us.

For keeping the game and this site alive and the many participation up to the current date I thank all the members and contributors just as well.
And even when there has been some trouble and disputes in times I have lots of respect with special thanks to you SCT, QuasarDonkey, Thunderchro, Gowron, DCER, AFC, Joker, Jigalipuff and all you great modders and artists I in a large part never have met or forgot. Ofc not to forget Cleverwise for his contribution on the webpage.
But also the many long time players like e.g. RuthlessFerengi I still see online from time to time that made a large part in these forums. When I first started to play this game online it was like a whole new game to me and it's not half the joy if there was no mp.

Lets see what time brings. To me the BotF code is still full of riddles, even though maybe not in the logical game design part. But already to catch up on all the SCT discoveries I guess I could spent a year.

Kudos to you!
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Best game ever! To this day this game still holds the top spot IMO.

I too appreciate all the work that has gone into this community from so many. Thanks to all! :)

\\//_
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

cleverwise wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm Best game ever! To this day this game still holds the top spot IMO.
I second that.

So many have already thanked all the modders and coders (they have my thanks as well :wink: ), we all like to see advancements, new code and mods and it maybe slow at present. but with new member we will always have new opportunities for advancements.

But the core of this forum are the members who download, lurk, test or just still play the game. These are the member who keep the forum alive. And I hope to still be here at 20 years.... 30 years... :smile:

thunderchero
jonboylondon
Captain
Captain

Post by jonboylondon »

cleverwise wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 pm Best game ever! To this day this game still holds the top spot IMO.

I too appreciate all the work that has gone into this community from so many. Thanks to all! :)

\\//_
I have to agree with that.

Thanks AFC, Thunder, Spockscuddlytribble, Flocke and any one of the many other who have contributed in both time and effort making this still my go to game when I'm a bit down...
Monks: Pie Jesu Domine, dona eis requiem
[bonk!]
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

It has been a blast, thank you all, and TC in particular. UDM mod in MP on large epic map.... man, there is no limit to possibilities...:)
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Definitely a big shout out to everyone who's worked on UDM, EC mod, and MPR++. Without them I'd still be flying Mirandas with no rollbars and Ambassadors that couldn't take on a Ferengi Light Raider. Now my Ambassadors are a true heavy cruiser thanks to DCER's Ultimate Editor and the Excelsior-class is part of my mainstay. :)
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

I want to use this opportunity to say thanks to Code Master Spocks-cuddly-tribble, host thunderchero, who makes this all possible and to DCER, who made the great UE.

The modifed BotF is still one of my favorite games and I'm very happy with all the improvements. :up:

Return to “General Chat”