5 New star trek shows in the next 5 years

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

5 New star trek shows in the next 5 years

Post by chestermike »

It's quiet on here, let's get a bit of discussion going. I know the people obsessed with Canon are going to not even give these shows a chance, and I think we are suffering from having far tooany prequels, I am still excited we are going to explore more of the star trek universe. In a goofy, flash before bang, modern way of course, probably trying to emulate marvel comics, by what are people's thoughts???

Personally, I think the Starfleet academy series could have been brilliant, but I'm seriously worried that the people doing gossip girl are running it. The young Khan series sounds interesting, and the stargazer series narrated by Patrick Stewart could be amazing. Not too bothered by the animated series.

Thoughts???
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Re: 5 New star trek shows in the next 5 years

Post by cleverwise »

Well Star Trek is becoming to Star Wars'ed. It is now a lot more about action and things blowing up than about quasi-science and good stories.

The 90's era type Star Trek is obviously dead. The shows that would explore leading scientific theories and develop interesting story lines. Now people like JJ Abrams just want to blow things up and railroad decades of Star Trek history.

While I am not saying new shows and movies need to follow the exact layout of "traditional" Star Trek it is unfortunate that something important has been lost.

I personally would have liked to see developing shows from other POVs. Why not follow the Klingons or Romulans? Have a series that shows the traditional STNG and DS9 worlds from that POV with modern twists of course. A show like that wouldn't even need to touch major events from those past shows. Thus avoid annoying the loyalists.

There are ways to bring new people and generations to Star Trek without ticking off mass numbers of the old guard. I know you can't please everyone, however Star Trek Discovery, is appropriately named: STD. What a frakking cluster thing.

Anaxar was very promising but instead of getting behind the project the powers that be killed it. The current management is at war with the Star Trek fandom old guard.

I have zero interest in new Trek. The leadership has totally failed IMO.

Why destroy Vulcan JJ Adrams?!!!
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by chestermike »

Great reply and I agree with most of what you said. The story in discovery wasn't bad on the whole, and I enjoyed watching it, but it didn't feel like star trek. And I'm the whole it wasn't. It was just set in the star trek universe. Why did the people making it feel the need to redesign the Klingons, uniform, ships, bridges to such a ridulous degree I don't know. Why a have tech that was not invented yet showing up I don't know. You could have told the story included in discovery, which I hold was good, without annoying everyone who holds Canon close to heart. It reminded me a lot of star trek the motion picture, where showing off the productions values was far more important than anything else.
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by chestermike »

What i am desperate for is for someone to take the story on, we are suffering from tooany prequels and reboots. Someone please do a story about after the dominian war, doesn't have to be set on ds9. Something like it's 2385, and the new joint starbase built by the alpha quadrant alliance has just been finished in the gamma quadrant.....or......it's 2390 and the borg who survived the Janeway pathogen and the civil war decide to restart the collective in the beta quadrant where Romulus used to be.......or......it's 2400 and after the federation help the romulans rebuild the empire after the destruction of Romulus, they let the federation through their space to explore the beta quadrant further, and we find out what the pressing matters that made the romulans disappear for 50 years before the tng era.

Just a few ideas from a complete amateur.

PS please get Nicholas Meyer in to write the script....please....
PTRACER
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PTRACER »

cleverwise wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:19 pm Well Star Trek is becoming to Star Wars'ed. It is now a lot more about action and things blowing up than about quasi-science and good stories.
Agree with this. Well, more like Marvel/DC'd. For me there is only one Star Trek universe, one canon. But now it's the JJ Abrams Universe, the Roddenberry Universe, and no idea if any of the other series are considered to be a 3rd or 4th universe. I know it's only a TV show but I'm not really interested in alternate universes and it just seems to be each writer's excuse for exercising their ego. The best way to make an impact is to continue the canon that was already established.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

The OG ST had morals, ethics and encouraged people to think and to feel. The new ST encourages the people to eat Popcorn. No substance, no depth, no legacy. It's just not wanted. They rather pump out something now and pump something out a couple of years later.

The will just isn't there to carry the legacy or even help it back up. It's a tragedy really. Maybe at one point it will be picked up again. But I won't hold my breath.

I haven't watched ST - or what I'd consider ST - in a long time. I still have all the DVDs. But not really an option to play them xD

I like the new SW shows, though. They get the essence of what SW is about and capture it quite nicely imo. Looking forward to more of that. The movies were godawful, though. And of course Jar Jar Abrams was involved. The dude did LOST which had a good first season and had the most expensive pilot at the time and somewhat got elevated into spheres he wasn't supposed to be.

I'm not bitter or something. I actually stopped caring after Picard. well, at least I gave these shows a chance. But they're not memorable. I'm gonna watch the new stuff probably. But I won't expect anything what we were used to. Hype more often than not leads to disappointment. And I stay away from that for quite some time now. This way I can't get disappointed.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:51 pm I haven't watched ST - or what I'd consider ST - in a long time. I still have all the DVDs. But not really an option to play them xD
If you have a computer with a DVD-ROM in it, you can install the K-Lite Codec Pack and VLC Media player and it will be able to play DVDs.
https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I actually use my old XP laptop as a glorified portable DVD player so I can enjoy watching movies on my screened-in back porch in nicer weather (it's winter in Chicagoland).

Most versions of Windows can play DVDs without installing extra software, but even if they don't come with it, that's what K-lite codec pack is for. You used to sometimes need to install Divx separately as well, but I haven't needed to since Vista.

If you don't have a DVD-ROM on any working computer (even Windows 95 or 98 computers can play DVDs if you find older versions of VLC and K-Lite), Amazon and E-bay list some external USB DVD-ROMs for as low as $10.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

VLC Media player that I downloaded a few years ago had DVD capability from start, it can play blu-ray too when you add some needed files to it, at least it did on win10, haven't tried it on 11, I use a different player for b-r:s

Regarding the new series, speed is an issue sometimes, you have to watch those episodes at least two or three times to get full hang of them.
And, as in all beginning seasons of any series of star trek, there is a bit too much overacting, even Patrick Stewart did that in TNG:s first two seasons, the last season, well, they fit like a glove in those roles back then.
But, as I have watched the second season of Discovery, it's conspicuous, at least on Burnham, maybe Saru a bit, Sonequa Martin-Green's role might be one reason to blame, she's supposed to be the hero. Those cool guy-roles, like Captain Pike, it does not strike as much.
Impress the Empress.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

K-lite codec pack. Now that is a name I haven't read about in a decade. Cool, that it's still around. Personally, I'm using an open source version of MPC-home classic. It's on github and maintained by one guy alone for years now I think. It's working flawlessly and recently he even added darkmode :)

Drives got dirt cheap, yep. I wouldn't buy used, though. I got rid of my LG burner when some copyright protection mechanism of a newly acquired rare Audio CD (thanks BMG) bricked the thing for good. Seriously, there's some nasty DRM stuff out there which alters firmware of drives. Now, I also got rid of the drive because I've a lot of media on HDD anyway. I threw away a lot of CDs and DVDs in the process because they were just collecting dust and taking up space.

Not ST, though. The other thing is that I'd watched this show a couple of times too often I'm afraid. At some point in time I could probably recite entire episodes. So, it's not really a priority to re-watch it for at least a couple of years until my memory is a bit more dimmed again. xD
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

One thing about these new series, particularly the holo-screens, well, they aren't exactly practical in any sense and they don't even look cool.
Imagine trying to read or view something from them when there's a circus happening behind them, they need a black or at least some simple and fixed background for clarity.
And as fixed I mean a still surface, may it be holographic or not.
Like a computer screen, that is taken off a monitor and hovering in the air.
Impress the Empress.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Yea, I'm not a big fan of the holographic screens either. Maybe we're just flooded with tech and futuristic outlook these days that nothing looks "cool" and next centuries anymore. Reminds me a bit of car designs and how rarely I find something to be iconic these days. I'm not a huge car guy by any means but I've some favourites.

Another thing is that we're probably not that far off from neural interfaces. Perhaps a couple of decades. Kinda hard to predict.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

Another thing caught my eye when watching Disco season 3, those detached nacelles, ships held together with high hopes and good faith, seems utterly pointless to me to see nothing holding ships together, and those nacelles even attach themselves to the Discovery before jump.

But... The spore drive navigator "hand goo"-thing is actually a good one.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

An idea:

If there are going to be new Star Treks, Enterprises B and C are unused storylines, they could be shown more deeply.
Impress the Empress.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Axis wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:09 amEnterprises B and C are unused storylines, they could be shown more deeply.
But prepare for the funny/strange retcon refits your request/idea might invoke...
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Axis
Captain
Captain

Post by Axis »

I think they can't ruin them if that's what you mean, those two in question are two of the better designs of Star Trek ships, so by making slight alterations in the outer appearance and adding that grey surface which seems to be popular among these new series, they shouldn't become too bad.
Impress the Empress.

Return to “General Chat”