Picard is back in a new Trek series!!!

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: Picard is back in a new Trek series!!!

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

It's because it was made in the binge-watch era, were we're meant to watch all of them at once. I watched ALL of The Expanse Season 4.

Last episode of Picard I watched was the one where pickedonalot and socky went to where Riker and Riker were living on a world with their daughter.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Indeed @binge-watching-era.

I did the exact same thing with the Expanse season 4. While I enjoyed and re-watched 1-3 a couple of times I don't feel the urge to do the same with s4 of the Expanse.

Ah well Alex, I mean it's ok to stop watching the show. I'd highly recommend finishing it, though. The special effects inside the Borg Cube were amazing.

For the future, I hope they'll develop the characters a bit more.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the new show of the mirror universe evil emperor ass-kicking chick from Disco. I liked her a lot.
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

Watch the Red Letter Media review, if you haven't already. I expected a lot of comedy but it actually made me sad. I haven't watched any Star Trek show since 2009 but even without any expectations I am still disappointed.
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

I have to say that I too am disappointed with the direction this franchise has followed.

The Abrams movies are nothing more that Star Wars in Star Trek clothing. Star Trek Discovery lost me when I saw what they had done to the Klingons and their ships. And now Star Trek Picard seems to be doing the same thing to the Romulans.

How did the Romulans acquire an intact cube? And where is the offensive and defensive technology they would have acquired from it? The adaptive shields and more powerful disruptors, torpedoes and ablative armour? Not to mention transwarp technology. Can you imagine uprated warbirds with all these new improvements? Where are the new designs replacing the Valdores and D’deridexes?

Yet what do we see in ST Picard? A Romulan fleet of over 200 ships made up of what look like green bats, being faced down by a Federation fleet. Really? This, from an empire that went on the offensive across FIFTEEN sectors in the Dominion War and saved the Federation/Klingon alliance from imminent defeat?

For me, canon Star Trek ended with Nemesis. Romulus is only destroyed in the Abrams timeline. If that timeline and subsequent series like Discovery and Picard are invalid, then so is the destruction of the Romulan homeworld. In my view, Romulan society does not collapse after Shinzon’s attempted coup. Sure, the Senate and Praetor have been eliminated, but the military is still intact. Donatra and the other admirals would have been quick to install a military government until a new Senate and Praetor were elected. Donatra did indeed aid Picard in fighting the Scimitar, but he was just a useful tool in her revenge on Shinzon after he spurned her advances (if hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, then a scorned Romulan female invites a supernova)! And with Donatra’s subsequent less than friendly view of humans, I wouldn’t be surprised if she bumps off Sela (who is after all half human).

Star Trek has always looked at current social issues in its episodes. With the covid 19 pandemic
raging across the world, Star Trek writers could easily have developed a story line about a virulent space plague sweeping across the galaxy and afflicting all the major empires. How this affected individuals and whole societies and how by eventually putting aside their differences (after many hurdles), previously antagonistic governments could have worked together to find a cure. And bring about a feeling of hope for the future. That is classic Star Trek.

Instead, what we now get is best flushed into the sewers.

Regards
Geon
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

geon wrote: Star Trek has always looked at current social issues in its episodes. With the covid 19 pandemic
raging across the world, Star Trek writers could easily have developed a story line about a virulent space plague sweeping across the galaxy and afflicting all the major empires. How this affected individuals and whole societies and how by eventually putting aside their differences (after many hurdles), previously antagonistic governments could have worked together to find a cure. And bring about a feeling of hope for the future. That is classic Star Trek.

Instead, what we now get is best flushed into the sewers.
The show was made prior to this crisis. I guess we may see something in season 3. Afaik only Mandalorian season 2 was already shot and in post production prior to C19.

Every now and then, dangerous viruses were a topic in Trek. Mostly, how they miraculously found a cure through their efforts. It'll be interesting to see how pop-culture with all its television shows and movies will be dealing and trying to cope with the C19-crisis in the distant and not so distant future.

Man, picard fighting those flowers at the end. That was something... not sure what those guys smoked when writing this but it probably wasn't of best quality...
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

geon wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 pmHow did the Romulans acquire an intact cube? And where is the offensive and defensive technology they would have acquired from it? The adaptive shields and more powerful disruptors, torpedoes and ablative armour? Not to mention transwarp technology. Can you imagine uprated warbirds with all these new improvements? Where are the new designs replacing the Valdores and D’deridexes?
By no means defending the show as you guys have seen my rants in this thread haha.. however you're forgetting your TNG mate. While it wasn't seen it was said in 'Descent' that when Hugh returned to his cube everything went to hell and they lost their link to the collective.. fighting broke out over what to do, Lore showed up and a whole bunch of them escaped in that weird smaller Borg ship (known as an Adaptor in Armada).

In between destroying characters and ruining the TNG universe the Picard writers obviously took note of that little story thread and decided to expand on it and establish that around the time Hugh returned to the cube they passed near Romulan space and captured and assimilated a romulan ship and they infected the ship and borgs severing their connection. Romulans inherit a free borg ship lol. Was a cool idea.. pity about all their other ideas lol.
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Blake00 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 pm pity about all their other ideas lol.
the space flowers, man... the space flowers. I can't get over them. Fracking space flowers, man!

Some of you may like to desintegrate me for saying that I like season 3 of Discovery so far. :mrgreen:
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

I must admit to being really disappointed with the new show.

There were some truly good parts in it, but I hate to say it, Sir Patrick is just too old/frail to play a leading role like this now

I Was hoping at the end of Season 1 his character would've died off and instead of him coming back in his original aged body, someone else could've taken up the mantle with his consciousness/memories.

And what happened to all the different styles of ships? Why did all the federation and Romulan ships look like a CTRL+V job on screen?

I seriously doubt starfleet in 15? years decided to scrap all their different classes of ships and made one single ship design.
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:21 pm
Blake00 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 pm pity about all their other ideas lol.
the space flowers, man... the space flowers. I can't get over them. Fracking space flowers, man!

Some of you may like to desintegrate me for saying that I like season 3 of Discovery so far. :mrgreen:
Giant Space flowers that can bring down a Borg cube.. made in a little lab by an android doctor. Totally plausible. ;)

Haven't made the plunge of Disco 3 yet. I enjoyed Disco 2 but all the things I liked (Pike, Spock, No 1, Enterprise) are not in S3 (thankfully getting their own show though) so I worry lol.
Deimos wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm And what happened to all the different styles of ships? Why did all the federation and Romulan ships look like a CTRL+V job on screen?

I seriously doubt starfleet in 15? years decided to scrap all their different classes of ships and made one single ship design.
Yeah the copy and paste ships is a popular topic in the communities.. talk about running out of money right before the important stuff needs to get done lol.

Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Yea I saw various comments about it in youtube videos, but it's just silly. Even the Romulan ships looked identical.
Again, there's just no way they trashed all their warbirds and Scimitar class ships.
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Hi Blake00,

You wrote..
"By no means defending the show as you guys have seen my rants in this thread haha.. however you're forgetting your TNG mate. While it wasn't seen it was said in 'Descent' that when Hugh returned to his cube everything went to hell and they lost their link to the collective.. fighting broke out over what to do, Lore showed up and a whole bunch of them escaped in that weird smaller Borg ship (known as an Adaptor in Armada)."

No, I haven't forgotten my TNG. The ship that Hugh returned to in 'I Borg' was not a standard sized cube.

PICARD: What is it, Number One?
RIKER: We've picked up a vessel on the long range scanners, headed this way.
PICARD: Analysis.
DATA: The vessel is traveling at warp seven point six. Mass two point five million metric tons. Configuration, cubical.
RIKER: The Borg.
DATA: Its dimensions indicate that it is a scout ship similar to the one that crashed. Interference from the star's radiation will shield us from their sensors. We should remain undetected until they enter the system.
PICARD: How long do we have?
DATA: At present speed they will arrive in thirty one hours seven minutes.
http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/223.htm

The vessel is referred to as a 'scout ship' similar to to the vessel Hugh was found in. The small cube seen on the planet's surface has a crew of at least 5. Now, if the rescue vessel is of a similar type then the crew is obviously far larger (to explain all those Borg seen in TNG Descent). Either that, or the extra Borg are assimilated natives from the planets they have visited. This may be supported by Geordi's statement in TNG Descent..

LAFORGE: I've scanned three different star systems within sensor range. There is evidence of at least two advanced civilisations but I'm reading no life signs. But there are indications that plasma weapons have been fired in those systems recently.
http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/252.htm

The ship used by Lore and his Borg is also subject to some debate. While some see it as a previously unseen Borg type (citing its similarity in shape to the multi kinetic neutronic mine seen in Voy Scorpion), others view it as an alien design taken over and enhanced by the Borg. Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter view.

Now, while it's possible that the Romulans may have come across a disabled cube that was say battered by an ion storm, the idea that Hugh was instrumental in it's incapacitation must be discarded for the simple reason that Hugh (and his fellow drones) were totally disconnected from the Collective. If they had somehow reconnected, they would have been immediately eliminated (as seen in Voy Unimatrix Zero)

Regards
Geon
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Yea, sadly, the c'n'p fleets of the feds and roms didn't add much re-watch value to the finale of the season. This makes me appreciate DS9 even more. Every major battle was different and unique. Sure, they recycled a bit here and there but this level of quality back in DS9 days even before internet-criticism...
geon wrote: The ship used by Lore and his Borg is also subject to some debate. While some see it as a previously unseen Borg type (citing its similarity in shape to the multi kinetic neutronic mine seen in Voy Scorpion), others view it as an alien design taken over and enhanced by the Borg. Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter view.
Well, I think I might've seen that ship in some other games. F.e. Armada 2. But I don't consider that canon at all.

Solely restricted to the TV-shows, I'd say from an aesthetical pov, it's meant to project the clearest cut from a "traditional" Borg cube-design. It's meant to outline the difference of these Lore-Borg to the Borg from the Collective. They're in some kind of development and the ship reflects that perfectly imo. It seems unfinished and asymetrical.

In comparison, the Borg scout in one of the later VOY episodes (where Kim beamed the torpedo on board).
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Regarding the end of Picard when all the copy/paste ships show up, there's a couple of really cool fan edits which use the TNG and future era ships instead, it actually looks really cool, the first video features the Odyssey (Enterprise F) class ship as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201soFDmZw

Another with the sovereign class/defiant etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

geon wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:57 pm No, I haven't forgotten my TNG. The ship that Hugh returned to in 'I Borg' was not a standard sized cube.

The vessel is referred to as a 'scout ship' similar to to the vessel Hugh was found in. The small cube seen on the planet's surface has a crew of at least 5. Now, if the rescue vessel is of a similar type then the crew is obviously far larger (to explain all those Borg seen in TNG Descent). Either that, or the extra Borg are assimilated natives from the planets they have visited. This may be supported by Geordi's statement in TNG Descent..
I never said the rescue ship in I Borg was the full cube lol. I was making the point that the vessels we saw or heard about in both I Borg and Descent were probably just various types of scout ships launched from a much larger cube similar to how we've seen Sphere's launched from cubes. Either way I see nothing in the original shows that contradict the possibility that these smaller ships came from a larger cube. Eg the scout ship with Hugh returns to the big main cube, bad things happen, connection to collective lost, fighting breaks out, Lore shows up, he+Hugh+a whole of bunch of Borg jump into the scout ship and set off on their own quest for perfection.
Deimos wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:03 pm Regarding the end of Picard when all the copy/paste ships show up, there's a couple of really cool fan edits which use the TNG and future era ships instead, it actually looks really cool, the first video features the Odyssey (Enterprise F) class ship as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B201soFDmZw

Another with the sovereign class/defiant etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED-YjeKywZc
Oh man thanks for posting these.. makes me both happy and sad to see as THIS is what it should have been!!!

I haven't watched season 2 yet cause yeah.. read previous posts of mine here haha.. but I was very pleased to hear they used authentic well know ships for the opening episode. Step in the right direction!

Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Blake00 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:32 am I haven't watched season 2 yet cause yeah.. read previous posts of mine here haha.. but I was very pleased to hear they used authentic well know ships for the opening episode. Step in the right direction!
Indeed, although the ships that were copy/pasted at the end of Season 1, are no longer anywhere to be seen in season 2.

Whilst it was satisfying to see all the old classes upgraded, instead of combining the ship types from Season 1 with the older ones, they simply didn't show them at all, which seems odd.

Season 2 was just one big disappointment for me though.

Return to “General Chat”