BOTF on Android using Exagear?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

bateman1982
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

BOTF on Android using Exagear?

Post by bateman1982 »

Hi all,
has anyone had any success with getting BOTF to run on an Android device?

I can see another thread on this topic where it is thought it may be possible using Crossover but wouldn't that be Chromebook devices only?

The only other option I can think of is perhaps the Exagear emulator.

I tried copying the vanilla folder from the multinstaller version onto my android tablet and running trek.exe via the Exagear app but no luck.

There may be scope for it to work if I rename the exe file to a more compatible game according to this forum thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/hp-tou ... d-t2939072

I'll try some of the workarounds in the above linked thread but just wondered if anyone had already managed to succeed with running BOTF on Android using this method or some other means.

Thanks
bateman1982
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: BOTF on Android using Exagear?

Post by bateman1982 »

Quick update - I've tried using Exagear Strategy to run trek.exe but it fails with the error shown in the attached file.
Exagear error
Exagear error
Screenshot_20181212-185734~2.png (28.48 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Clicking for further details just crashes the app unfortunately.

I've tried all of the workarounds in the article linked above.
I've copied dsound.dll into the game folder but it made no difference.
I've also tried renaming trek.exe to some of the other game exes that the emulator recognises such as:
Discipl2.exe
Heroes3.exe
Civilization3.exe

But I get the same failure message for each exe.

I can safely say I've found about 6ways that definitely don't work!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

what are you trying to run? cd install or all in one? are you using Dxwnd to start trek.exe?

I suggest installing all in one on a computer, tools, (for DxWnd fullscreen) and mods you want. then just copy folders 'Tools" and installed "mod" to Android device. next you would need to change path for DxWnd to start trek.exe.

This is if DxWnd would even work on Android device. It is possible BOTF on Android device may not even need DxWnd.

I have never tried to run BOTF on an Android device. or if it is only possible.
bateman1982
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by bateman1982 »

I'm using the all in one version. I've installed it on a pc and then I copied the "vanilla" folder onto my android tablet and tried running trek.exe via the Exagear emulator.

I'll try the dxwnd options to see if that works.

Thanks for the reply and for your excellent work getting this classic game running on modern systems
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I looked at the developer's site of Exagear and found 3 unanswered posts about other games that required DirectX not working. so if you are lucky and configure DxWnd to correct path it might work.

DxWnd would need to be ran in Exagear, then DxWnd would run trek.exe

you would need to "modify" path and launch and save.
example below is to add Mudd cheats, but uses same screen for editing "launch" and "Path"
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3509#p47019

good luck and let us know the results
bateman1982
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by bateman1982 »

Thanks for the tips. I've managed to launch dxwnd using Exagear but it's proving difficult to navigate the interface using android touchscreen.

Might have to dig out a mouse I can plug in and try again to see if that's any better.
jous54
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by jous54 »

Basically, ExaGear strategies use a unique technology developed by Eltechs and, theoretically, is capable of running almost any Windows application or software on Android devices. However, results may vary. In fact, they've got a list of officially supported games.
leraaka
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by leraaka »

"Birth of the Federation" (BOTF) is a PC game that was released in 1999, and it was designed to run on Microsoft Windows. It may be challenging to get this game to run on an Android device due to compatibility issues and hardware limitations.

There are a few ways you can try to run BOTF on an Android device:
  • Emulation: You can use an x86 emulator like ExaGear Apk to run the Windows version of BOTF on your Android device. However, this may not work smoothly due to the limited resources and hardware constraints of most Android devices.

Wine: Another option is to use Wine, a compatibility layer that allows running Windows applications on other operating systems. However, Wine is not officially supported on Android, and its performance and compatibility with BOTF may be limited.

Ported version: As far as I know, there is no official or unofficial port of BOTF for Android. However, some game developers have created unofficial ports of classic PC games for Android, so it is possible that someone may have created a port of BOTF for Android. You may want to search online forums and communities dedicated to classic PC games to see if anyone has attempted to port BOTF to Android.
In summary, running BOTF on an Android device may be challenging, and there is no guaranteed method to get it to work. Your best option would be to search online for any existing ports or methods and try them out, but keep in mind that they may not work smoothly or at all.

Return to “General Chat”