Hello to all and a question

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thebritwriter
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Hello to all and a question

Post by thebritwriter »

Hi everyone was on here a long time ago under a different name (might have been 'luc' or similir) but so long was I offline my account was lost so created a new one. I try to be chatty and check out out some of the stuff on other forums but still birth of federation is my number 1 game even surpassing my like for xcom. Still with this small introduction comes two questions, one is out of curosity and the other is a pain in the ass to put it mildly.

The first question is regarding the birth of federation map, was it a template based of Master of Orion. I played that game on steam and noticed several systems named from star trek. It could just be a homage but as both were under microscope I wondered if the map was possibly recycled.

The second question is in relation to ultimate editor and the games downloaded. Very different to how I used it years ago and have to say downloading the mods with the UE was pretty much straight forward, however whenever I accsess UE and try to open a save file under a game such as 'Planet mod' it says i can't access the file. Any pointers as to where I'm possibly going wrong?

Also a big thanks to all those keeping the spirit of BOTF going.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Hello to all and a question

Post by thunderchero »

Hi thebritwriter,

welcome back. I don't know about Master of Orion. but BOTF maps are randomly generated. But it would not surprise me that they re-use some planet names.

UE, will it open/edit stbof.res? if so the saved game maybe read only?

note; editing saved game tend to corrupt the save game and is not suggested.

thunderchero
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I believe some of the system names are actual real-life stars.
It is also possible that the creators of Master of Orion threw in some homages to Star Trek with the names of the stars. I'm not familiar with Master of Orion so I can't say what is or is not there.
ObsidianOrdersPizza
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by ObsidianOrdersPizza »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:48 pm Hi thebritwriter,

welcome back. I don't know about Master of Orion. but BOTF maps are randomly generated. But it would not surprise me that they re-use some planet names.

UE, will it open/edit stbof.res? if so the saved game maybe read only?

note; editing saved game tend to corrupt the save game and is not suggested.

thunderchero
I have a memory of reading on this site that there are a large but finite number of BOTF maps.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

ObsidianOrdersPizza wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm I have a memory of reading on this site that there are a large but finite number of BOTF maps.
BOTF uses a 10 digit value (billion) so I would say that is enough not to ever duplicate any map exactly in your life time. :grin:
ObsidianOrdersPizza
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by ObsidianOrdersPizza »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:42 pm
ObsidianOrdersPizza wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm I have a memory of reading on this site that there are a large but finite number of BOTF maps.
BOTF uses a 10 digit value (billion) so I would say that is enough not to ever duplicate any map exactly in your life time. :grin:
I don't know, I've played a lot of BOTF! :eek:

If you had the correct "map number" then you could replay a map?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

ObsidianOrdersPizza wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm If you had the correct "map number" then you could replay a map?
yes if you used command prompt to load game

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2181#p30244
QuasarDonkey wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:23 am -n fiddles with the random number seeding, so you always start off on the same galaxy every time you run BotF with a given StartingSeed.

Return to “General Chat”