Dominus Galaxia (Master of Orion like game)

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Dominus Galaxia (Master of Orion like game)

Post by Blake00 »

I spent endless hours playing Master of Orion 1 in the 90s (which of course fueled my love of BOTF) so this sounds good! Pretty much a love letter to MOO1.. infinite techs.. dynamic AI.. wormhole/starlane game or not.. super customizable UI & gameplay. What's even crazier is that he's released the latest build (not just a demo) of the game for free on his kickstarter. Do you like free stuff? I like free stuff! :P

https://explorminate.co/dominus-galaxia ... -launched/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jwG4D-fCsg
[BBvideo=853,480]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jwG4D-fCsg[/BBvideo]
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Dominus Galaxia (Master of Orion like game)

Post by Martok »

I'm a Kickstarter backer. I've been following the dev's progress with Dominus Galaxia for a few years now, so it's exciting to see the game finally make it to this stage. For all the crowdfunding "fatigue" that exists out there (which the developer openly acknowledges), I'm actually looking forward to this one. :)

The beta version available for download is already pretty fun to play. Definitely worth checking out!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Looks cool! Will check it out.
Thanks Blake!
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

Sadly it looks like it probably won't get funding in time.. got pretty close too. ​​​​​​​:(
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:(
It's the same guy that was making Remnants of the Precursors, right? The MoO1 clone/tribute/whatever.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Blake00 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 am Sadly it looks like it probably won't get funding in time.. got pretty close too. ​​​​​​​:(

As a matter of fact, Dominus Galaxia did get fully funded! A late surge in the final 36 hours of the campaign put it over the top. :D

Iceman wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 am :(
It's the same guy that was making Remnants of the Precursors, right? The MoO1 clone/tribute/whatever.

They're actually different projects, run by different people (although I know they've sometimes "talked shop" over on the Explorminate forums).

Remants is pretty much a straight-up remake of MOO1, just with more modern visuals, UI, and improved AI. In contrast, DG is more of a spiritual sequel (albeit one that's strongly inspired/influenced by MOO1).
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah I really thought it was in trouble there but he just made it over the line. :)
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah I've spoken with the guy behind Dominus Galaxia a few times as he gave programming advice to the team I'm a part of working on the Starflight Remake Project. He's a super talented programmer and very good with AI stuff. Apparently he did an AI overhaul on Pandora First Contact which is on my steam wishlist as the only reason I didn't hit the buy button was seeing people complaining about lousy AI. So i'll have to check out his mod!

I was glad to see that Dominus Galaxia got funded in the end!

Speaking of which I've found yet another love letter to Master of Orion except this one is more MOO2 like! Has anyone here tried Interstellar Space Genesis? If so was it good? Was it stable? Apparently the indie team behind it consists of only 2 people haha! It looks pretty awesome so am thinking about trying it out now that it's finally on sale (it's normally pretty pricey lol).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984680/Interstellar_Space_Genesis/

Last edited by Blake00 on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yay for DG!

Re ISG, I had heard about that one some time ago, but haven't checked it out yet.
Looks cool! And if it's like MoO2, then it can only be good. :wink:
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Interstellar Space: Genesis is definitely worth getting, especially in its current state (and at the current sale price ;) ).

It's not the "greatest game ever" -- yet -- but it's quite a lot of fun. ISG sticks fairly close to the standard 4x formula, yet it still innovates some and includes some pretty cool features (such as Space Culture and the remote exploration mechanic). You can tell the guys at Praxis Games really put a lot of thought into their game design (drawing on their experience from when they ran Space Sector, their old website dedicated to space/4x games), and have made a genuine effort to avoid a lot of the flaws & pitfalls common to so many 4x games.

The AI is also pretty decent, and is something the devs have made a priority; AI improvements are a big part of almost every patch/update. Artwork & visuals is a bit uneven, but overall quite good; in fact, the game received a major visual upgrade in the massive 1.1 update that came out back in May. The devs are also very responsive to the fanbase; and while they obviously can't include every improvement/feature requested, they're honestly very good about responding to player feedback. There's no question ISG is clearly a labor of love for these guys; I would support them for that alone!

(And no, I promise I'm not being paid to say all this. I just honestly enjoy the game. :D )
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

I played this, was it a beta version, but I came to the conclusion that the easy setting was way too hard compared to the others, the mainstream game company made games.
When expanding on a large galaxy, you'd bump into enemies quite quickly, and have to move against overwhelming power so soon in the game, never giving enough time to build up, also, the placing of these empires was a bit dumb, they always were closer to mine than each other, while there was enough space to be elsewhere.
Impress the Empress.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

If you haven't played ISG since it was in beta, I recommend giving it another try, as the game has come a long way since then. The devs have tweaked & fixed a lot of things in the last year.

Also: There's a larger galaxy size now. ;)
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I meant Dominus Galaxia. :oops:
Impress the Empress.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Ah, I see. In that case, then yes, I would generally concur with your assessment. :) DG looks promising, but it clearly still has a ways to go before it's ready for "prime time".
Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah in the end time was running out on the steam sale and the general response I was getting in most places I asked was either silence or 'never heard of it so I don't know if it's good' haha.. However I watched this dudes let's play series below and that sold it for me.. so I hit the button too lol!

As expected it’s graphics aren’t exactly revolutionary lol but damn is it addictive and fun to play. Last few days I've barely eaten, slept, worked.. it’s all gone to hell haha!! There's room for improvement though so I've been posting lots of feedback on the steam forum as the devs actually read your comments and respond which is a rarity these days haha!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdpJ2HQi_lY[/BBvideo]

Return to “General Chat”