Be safe everyone

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Be safe everyone

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

i saw this one on facebook and had to share.
kirk.jpg
kirk.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Be safe everyone

Post by Martok »

Haha, that's pretty good. :D Hope everyone is doing okay so far!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Everyone stay calm and chill out. There has been a misunderstanding. Thunderchero is NOT implying that our regular afc swinger parties are canceled. Because of course we don't. So please stop throwing those tricobalt grenades in his garden (especially the upset long time member from the Buckingham Palace). Thank you. :wink:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I thought they were put on hold until the virus scare was over.
Just like my job has been put on hold. I've been furloughed for the next 3 weeks.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

SOCIAL DISTANCING.... suddenly I'm normal?!?!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

slickrcbd wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:35 pm I thought they were put on hold until the virus scare was over.
Just like my job has been put on hold. I've been furloughed for the next 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear that, man. I truly sympathize.

The hospitality company I work for just shut down 4 of its 6 properties in my area, including 3 hotels, 1 restaurant, and the conference center attached to 1 of the hotels. Over 90% of all staff has been laid off, with me being one of the only people lucky enough to still be working (I'm the front desk supervisor at the 1 hotel that's still open). Part of me is grateful to still have a job, but it breaks my heart a little that so many of my friends & colleagues aren't as fortunate. I miss not seeing/talking to them everyday. :(
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Laid off or furloughed?
Laid off used to mean the same thing, but now it means you lost your job through no fault of your own.
Furloughed means an involuntary, non-disciplinary unpaid leave of absence, but I will have a job in a month or so to go back to.
They shut down the buildings, had whoever could start telecommuting (including having a bunch of people take their computers home), and put the rest on unpaid leave and advised to stay home until the crisis is over.

Oh, and yesterday the Governor told everybody to stay home. Illinois is under a "stay home" order.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I stay at home and take care of my family. Dad had a stroke and youngest brother is mentally and physically disabled.

Wife runs a tax service and after the computers are networked she rarely needs me. I take our daughter to the bus and meet her after school, which is canceled now.

I play in a local band and the bars closing has ended our shows... so now we're all home binging youtube and BotF!

It's going to be interesting, everyone stay hydrated!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Play BotF, keep safe!

Post by Flocke »

The current virus threat feels like a bad joke invisibly lurking next corner. I'm glad I'm not much affected myself. We're having a contact ban here in Hamburg meaning that no more than 2 people should be together in open public except families. Food stores are kept open with access control but most other stores I think closed by now. Myself I'm working in homeoffice now.
Well, springtime is about to come. Yesterday we already had one warm sunny day after all the cold clouded and rainy days this winter. I better get some curtains I guess. Depression. :(

So far here in Hamburg and I think in whole germany the situation seems mostly relaxed. Sure there is less traffic specially when using the city train. Stores closed and people with mouth protection aren't seen as a paranoid any longer. But people go out to get some breath and there is no panic other than some non-sense bulk buying causing some buying restrictions.
True, a few regions in southern germany have stronger restrictions but that's mostly by politic decision.

Fear mostly is medical support in the upcoming weeks and months in case the virus keeps spreading this rapidly. At least politics start to show some solidarity in the EU by now. Shameful to see China, Russia and even Cuba providing more support to Italy lately.

Hope you all keep healthy and we're soon surprised by some anti-virus virus turning things normal again!
From the news they at least start to make progress with mass-testing the people.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Cheers, Flocke. Glad you're doing okay so far (stress notwithstanding). :)

From what I've read, Germany has done a much better job of dealing with the coronavirus than most nations (including & especially that mass-testing you mentioned -- it can make a huge difference). Setting aside the obvious joke about the famous/stereotypical German efficiency, it seems like you guys were just generally way better organized & prepared for this.

I wish the U.S. had done even half as good a job, but the truth is we were caught almost completely flat-footed. A big part of that was a failure in our government's leadership (but hey it's Trump, so no surprise), but I think Americans' collective mentality left us unprepared as well. I'm at least lucky enough to live in a rural area, so we shouldn't be hit as hard by this, but it's still frightening.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Martok wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:14 pm A big part of that was a failure in our government's leadership (but hey it's Trump, so no surprise),
The people where I live are acting as this is a vacation, even with a "stay at home" order and Closure of non-essential businesses. The number of infected is doubling every 2 -3 days and they are only currently testing those who need to be in hospital or severe symptoms. At this rate it will only take 2 weeks to infect half of the population here.

I dread going to the grocery store, you now have to wait in a line 6 feet apart for sometime 2 hour just to find most of the shelf's empty.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

In the news here first it was the toilet paper that some crazy people started to hog. Suddenly all the people wanted to get more toilet paper empying the stores in fear it could run short. Then it was pasta given there was a picture seen of a super market having no pasta due to a price war with some pasta manufacturer. Followed by wheat flour, milk and some other staple food. But beside wheat flour the stores are already filled again.

Rather ridiculous we're running short on wheat flour now when you know on the german civil reserve, having about 500,000 t wheat in store... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fYRer-kVQ (german)

I am sure the run at the grocery store will normalize soon again. Some products might keep short for a while but not the staple food.
Can't imagine that'll be different to the U.S., although having to wait 2 hours really is tough. Here I'd have to wait maybe an hour to get to a DIY market, given all the people suddenly find time for some renovation projects.

Can't say germany was prepared or organized for a pandemic like this. We have a rather strong health system compared to most other countries I guess. But when you have seen they even let in tourists from china without any control but filling some bureaucratic papers even after the virus started to spread in italy, and when you got to hear the hospitals started to run short on breathing protection only a few days later given they keep no reserve on the imports, I rather think we are lucky that there's not been any hidden large spread in the past months like it is assumed for italy by now.

True there are alot of laboratories testing for the virus, but still people are sent back given they can't catch up. But from what I've read, given the success in south korea they enforce to massively increase the testing by now. Further there are more and more companies that develop some speed tests. The last I read was from a company in the U.S. that got a 2.5 5 minute test done ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapse ... irus-test/ ). Will take some time to mass produce the test kits I guess, but at least there is some good progress.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

For another glimmer of hope, will ivermectin bring the turnaround?
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main ... key=229893
http://theconversation.com/head-lice-dr ... -it-135683

Got some wheat flour by now by the way, but there is still shortage in part. A larger issue seems to be the missing harvest workers from our neighbour countries. A non-issue if we'd be willing to pay the price.
Barella
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Barella »

Martok wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:14 pm Cheers, Flocke. Glad you're doing okay so far (stress notwithstanding). :)

From what I've read, Germany has done a much better job of dealing with the coronavirus than most nations (including & especially that mass-testing you mentioned -- it can make a huge difference). Setting aside the obvious joke about the famous/stereotypical German efficiency, it seems like you guys were just generally way better organized & prepared for this.

I wish the U.S. had done even half as good a job, but the truth is we were caught almost completely flat-footed. A big part of that was a failure in our government's leadership (but hey it's Trump, so no surprise), but I think Americans' collective mentality left us unprepared as well. I'm at least lucky enough to live in a rural area, so we shouldn't be hit as hard by this, but it's still frightening.
I heard that Spain was doing pretty much in terms of what they faced during the 1st wave. It was shocking for them so now they are increasing financing medicine especially Covid-19-related funds. Coronavirus is a very serious test for any country's healthcare system. The other day I stumbled upon an article https://virtoproperty.com/info/spanish- ... for-expats that we will not get back to our normal life till the end of 2021. Time will check this forecast.

Return to “General Chat”