All in One 2.0.0 beta 2 available for testing

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: All in One 2.0.0 beta 2 available for testing

Post by thunderchero »

correct you don't need them they are only helper programs that can cause issues.

But everyone should know the dangers of giving out your IP
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

If that gets rid of some of the crashes and sync issues it may be a game changer. We'll give it a try.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Westmensch wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:09 pm So you don't need Hamachi or Gameranger at all ? We never tried it without those.
Depends whether you have an ipv4 address, it doesn't change while you play and whether you know to configure your routers and firewall for it.

Note that even when you have an ipv4 at least for the host it must be externally reachable. As far I know some providers do some on-demand mapping of ipv4 to ipv6 to share their limited ipv4 pool for multiple users. That way you get shown an ipv4 and can establish a connection with your ipv4 but actually it might be mapped to ipv6 for external communication or it is just temporarily assigned on demand once you send out a message. While that might work for clients, the host might not be reachable that case.

In the end it might reduce network issues but it also might introduce new ones. I used Hamachi 10 years ago I think till it became unstable for me, and then switched to Warzone that was similar to the MSN gaming zone till it closed. While Warzone worked great for me that time and basically just establishes a direct ip connection, I found countless people having large trouble to get their connection and port forwarding and firewall settings sorted. Some spent days or weeks and didn't get it work. Some failed given their provider delivered router not even allowed to configure port forwarding.

Best luck and great fun with your MP games though. :up:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Btw, hiding your ipv4 isn't worth much of protection. There exist ip scanners that scan through the whole range of ipv4 addresses within minutes. See e.g. the ZMap project.
"On a computer with a gigabit connection, ZMap can scan the entire public IPv4 address space in under 45 minutes. With a 10gigE connection and PF_RING, ZMap can scan the IPv4 address space in 5 minutes."
Oh and yes they are scanned frequently. So just hope it doesn't scan for security holes in the old directplay6 layer. :lol:
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

We are just trying it now. Without fiddling with the ports we can't see the game but there are still some things we can try. Hamachi works anyway but if it increases the stability it's worth a shot.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

one thing to check when you can't see the game press the windows key (game will minimize to task bar) to see if you have a windows firewall message.

not sure if Hamachi requires it open.
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

I deactivated my firewall anyway. Only the router has a firewall. Hamachi worked without any port forwarding.

Oh fug, it worked. What is this magic.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

we are getting off topic here, but you mentioned "sync issues"

I can not emphasize this enough,

joining player must click turn first, host clicks last. (Host processes turn and sends to other players) you don't want host to start processing before other player have finished turn.

never double click turn button, it will process a second turn on one player and cause sync error.
Westmensch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Westmensch »

Yeah, back to topic. Sync errors are much more frequent than CTDs. We are following your advice about having the host click the turn button last but in our current game in 2.0 we started getting a sync error about every five turns and we are in turn 180. We also tested this without Hamachi and the problem still persists. What's surprising to me is that in this game we put the AI on easy and there aren't any major conflicts taking place. In our last 2.0 game by that point I was at war with two AIs on normal fighting more than 250 ships at my border. Sometimes game just work really well and then you get these really small annoyances. Fights also seem affected by this. Had a crash after 5 rounds with 60 ships whereas in the last game I had battles with 150+ ships being stable over more than 10 rounds.

Update: We played about 5 games to round 300 in UDML III MP. Playing without Hamachi works great btw. The only thing different in 2.0 that I noticed so far is that the AI seems to fall apart more easily. Doesn't matter which difficulty. We tried easy, normal and hard but once you decimate the AI fleet by about 50% or 70-120 ships it seems to stop producing ships all together. The fleets are not rebuild or made out of thin air again and the AI seems to idle around. The statistic also has the AI decline rapidly until it reaches the bottom. One thing I noticed about the FED AI was that even after producing a couple of Ambassadors after some rounds a single Constellation stays above a single star system. Happened in 2 of the games so far. Dunno if this is helpful, forgot to keep the save anyway but the current game also has the AI lose its fleet and so far it hasn't rebuild anything.

Return to “General Chat”