Diplomacy Tone

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

FIXbotfPLEASE
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Diplomacy Tone

Post by FIXbotfPLEASE »

Hi guys

when you send diplomacy message you choose between 3 tones, i am wondering what is the difference in effect between each tone ?

Thanks !!!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Diplomacy Tone

Post by thunderchero »

in my opinion not much but it can come in handy as feds, example use negative tone if you are wanting other race to declare war on you to prevent morale loss.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Has anybody written a guide detailing what races are affected by what tone and how it affects diplomacy? The best I saw was one of the guides on Gamefaqs.com saying that "Scientific races like the first option, more warlike ones like the second option. Some of the intel races like the third option". With no table detailing what race likes what, and it makes it unclear what morale granting races like the Bajorans and Edo prefer, nor the Benzites.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

there are 5 personality types
Warlike
Peaceful
Pacifist
Deceptive
Spiritual

And many mods will change these so a guide would be tough. You can review these setting in edit/AI/minor race attitude.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

thunderchero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:16 pmAnd many mods will change these so a guide would be tough. You can review these setting in edit/AI/minor race attitude.
Sorry, with MOST games, you assume vanilla or there in a few rare cases there are some virtually required mods, like the Circle of Eight mod for Temple of Elemental Evil (two bad bugs and the font size is too small, especially on modern computers) or Baldur's Gate series and the Baldurdash mods (succeeded by the G3 Fixpack) although in the latter they are just unofficial bug fixes.

So, of course mods would change things, but a handy-dandy reference chart I can display on another computer or another monitor that says how to talk to a given race would be nice.
One that might go

Code: Select all

RACE       diplomacy option  special structure  effects
Andorians   OPTION 2       Training Academy   Produce Regular ships, +25 xp/turn training.
Vulcans     OPTION 1       Science Academy    +50% Bonus to science.
[code]
Pegasus
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Pegasus »

For diplomacy you need three things: 1. Credits. 2. Credits. 3. Credits.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

slickrcbd wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:10 pmHas anybody written a guide detailing what races are affected by what tone and how it affects diplomacy?
Yes, thunderchero did it above: :wink:
thunderchero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 pmin my opinion not much
Amen to that! Diplomacy in BotF is a bad joke. Don't get me wrong the developers really tried to create something great, but microprose couldn't give them the time & resources to get it done.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

Sorry for the necro res.
It's a shame Diplomacy in this game is so poor, but I find regardless of how I play, I always end up with all the major powers being Enraged (2 bars of opinion) and it doesn't matter what I do, or don't do, they never seem to act normally.
Does having a friendship treaty and thus trade routes, increase their opinion over time, like it does for minor races?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Deimos wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:21 pm Sorry for the necro res.
It's a shame Diplomacy in this game is so poor, but I find regardless of how I play, I always end up with all the major powers being Enraged (2 bars of opinion) and it doesn't matter what I do, or don't do, they never seem to act normally.
Does having a friendship treaty and thus trade routes, increase their opinion over time, like it does for minor races?
EDIT; ignore my post, :roll:
read post below
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

there is a bug "enraged antedean" vanilla and some mod still has this bug present.
bug happens when minor race names do not match exactly between files and trek minor list.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

He is talking about AI empires. :wink:

It's a complex matter, trade routes help a bit but have no stockpile effect for AI empires as for minor races.

ECM 5 has many broken AI codes fixed to improve diplomacy of AI empires.

But there is many prerequisites: min fleet strength, subdued colonization behavior, no OP score... + a common enemy is always good.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
rogerif
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by rogerif »

Pardon my 2 cents, after a while I stopped using the other tones, now, I use the default tone that comes up when I enter the diplomacy screen. And yes, as someone said, you need credits, so I buy the loyalty of the minor races. Those that I can't buy, no matter if they worship me, due to they are firmly entrenched in some other empires BS, I end up utterly destroying or conquering their world. I've never noticed any real difference in effect when using the other diplomatic tones.

Return to “General Chat”