Life on Venus?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Life on Venus?

Post by Iceman »

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Life on Venus?

Post by Martok »

Yeah, I read about that as well. Pretty cool!

Even if it eventually turns out there's *not* life on Venus, it would indicate there must be another way that particular gas can form, which would still be a remarkable discovery. :)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I think it's time to upgrade the definition of life. Currently mold growing on a loaf of bread is life... but it ain't living it's BEST life.

It's breathlessly anticipated to find "life" out there and they are fully prepared to orgasm over a fairy circle of mushrooms on another planet.

Honestly, if it can't shoot back, is it alive?
Barella
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Barella »

Dewbacca wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:08 pm I think it's time to upgrade the definition of life. Currently mold growing on a loaf of bread is life... but it ain't living it's BEST life.

It's breathlessly anticipated to find "life" out there and they are fully prepared to orgasm over a fairy circle of mushrooms on another planet.

Honestly, if it can't shoot back, is it alive?
Unfortunately I can't thumbup your post. Great question :smile: The other day I read an article in which the author was wondering why scientists are searching for life on other planets instead of searching for methods of improving living conditions on the Earth. A lot to be thought about.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

The answer to the question why we fund weapons/space/ SETI research is simple. It pays dividends to civilian life.

The space race gave us global telecommunications, GPS and accurate maps, real time weather analysis, ect...

The Apollo mission gave us mylar plastics, Tang (cheap portable vitamin C), digital flight controls, ect...

Despite popular myth, paper doesn't beat rock, and pick axes have a very difficult time as well... but war gave us explosives, and unlike paper, explosives beat rock. War gave us medical protocol that saves lives daily, gave us reliable air transport, command of both sea and air, all of the way to space.

Deplore war as you should, but it paid dividends. Space exploration is all of that progress without the devastation to land and lives.

Edit:
Well... we'll save what happens when we find an indigenous species for a later post.

Return to “General Chat”