How do you do set up your Configuration?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

mdstrek
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

How do you do set up your Configuration?

Post by mdstrek »

Okay y’all, how do you like to set up your configuration prior to the game starting? In particular, what levels do you set the races at? Whatever race I choose, I want winning to be a possibility but not a forgone conclusion. Just like everyone else, I can outsmart the AI of the other races, so I generally like to start off at a level below the Civilization Level of the other races. So, for example, I might start out on level 4 as Federation while setting all of the other races at 5. But I’ve found I win with that configuration pretty much every time. On the other hand, if I configure it so that every race starts out at level 1 or 2, the AI for the other races CHEATS (this is a known issue), making ships for the other races at a much faster rate than you can and making invasion of your home world pretty much inevitable in most set ups. So I’ve tried all sorts of combinations over the years, but I haven’t found the perfect balance. Has anyone else?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: How do you do set up your Configuration?

Post by thunderchero »

I mainly do quick games so I use,

advanced (highest tech) all races, impossible, max minors, no randoms, no borg.

as for starting a tech below, I have found the AI will not start cheating until you have caught up. :wink:

The AI tends to try to match your fleet/strength when it cheats. but will stop expanding systems at around 20 systems. they may have more systems sometimes, but it is due to conquest of other AI majors systems.

but if you want a challenge do nothing for 100 turns or until first contact lol.
mdstrek
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mdstrek »

Thanks. Do you do large galaxy? I do small, and I've definitely found the AI cheats right away on levels 1 or 2. By turn 30 or so they have a 9-ship fleet. If you start on level 3 or higher (which it seems you do), the AI will not cheat.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

mdstrek wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:22 pm If you start on level 3 or higher (which it seems you do), the AI will not cheat.
the AI cheats though out the game on any level especially on impossible.
mdstrek wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:22 pm Do you do large galaxy?
since I play mainly mods and the maps have been edited I play 48 x 24. and most of my game are over by turn 250 - 300
mdstrek
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mdstrek »

Thanks. I know there's a mod where all races start with larger population system sizes. To make it both challenging and not too tedious, I like to start at a lower civ level than the other AI races but have larger systems to compensate. Sometimes I need to do multiple set ups to get it right. Do know if there's a way to do that automatically on vanilla? Or even with a mod where ONLY your race has bigger population systems?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

no
mdstrek
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mdstrek »

Okay, thanks.

Return to “General Chat”