End game diplomacy

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Caranub
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

End game diplomacy

Post by Caranub »

Hi all,

Just been thinking about things in BotF after smashing a couple of games out this week.

When I'm winning I like to basically decimate an enemy empire down to one low population system with no dilithium, essentially making them a weak minor race. After this the AI is set to 2 bars of reputation and "enraged" and no matter how much cash I throw at them they don't get any happier (not that I really blame them). Is this intentional or a bug? This often happens in any game I'm doing really well in even before I've "neutered" the enemy.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: End game diplomacy

Post by slickrcbd »

I've found that unlike minors, throwing money at majors doesn't seem to have the same effect that it does on minors. Sometimes it just seems to be a wasted effort, other times it will flip them from icy or even despised to cordial in a few turns and to enthusiastic in another.
I haven't figured out why, just that it isn't directly proportional to the amount of cash you throw at them like it is with minors.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

I rarely bother with diplomacy in BOTF, they declare war one minute, then sue for peace the next, then immediately declare war again a turn or two later.
But I've had the enraged 2 bar status as well with the major races, there never seems to be a way to appease them when it's stuck there.
If I give them money or territory, they just send a sarcastic message back a turn later.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Deimos wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:09 am I rarely bother with diplomacy in BOTF, they declare war one minute, then sue for peace the next, then immediately declare war again a turn or two later.
But I've had the enraged 2 bar status as well with the major races, there never seems to be a way to appease them when it's stuck there.
If I give them money or territory, they just send a sarcastic message back a turn later.
I agree with that, but I'd rephrase it as "I rarely bother trying diplomacy with majors in BOTF". I use diplomacy with minors all the time, even as a Cardassian. On the other hand I rarely try with majors unless they start out as friendly, especially when playing vendetta. Then I might try for an alliance due to the way the computer cheats as it means one less front to worry about. If they go hostile, well, the game is every race for itself.
Still, more often than not I don't bother, and I never say yes to demands as it never seems to work for making them friendly and willing to trade, it just wastes money. It's not like the computer is actually limited by their factories and credits when it comes to making ships and structures.

Return to “General Chat”