A Review of BOTF in 2021

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Sisko
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

A Review of BOTF in 2021

Post by Sisko »

Hey guys, I want to share with you our latest review. For it we had a nice long talk with Thunderchero. He could tell us a lot of informations about the history of the game and it's community.

I also want to thank again Thunderchero for take some time for us!
We had a lot of fun talking with him and I hope you will also enjoy what he had to say to us :)

Youtube: https://youtu.be/0m-DBPiCr_E

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: A Review of BOTF in 2021

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Nice work! Respect to Sisko and Thunderchero for their efforts. :up:

Without having seen the whole 1 hour and 15 minutes due to internet troubles and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmGrR9a818&t=211s :wink:

Some small remarks/dementi by myself:

- No point in using Horga'hn torpedoes with higher 'shield-penetration', this feature was never finished by Microprose.

- The Supremacy download by Iceman does not come with a voucher for Tiramisu ice cream, that is a malicious deception.

- AFC is not secretly taking over small companies like Apple, Amazon and Microsoft with embezzled remains of donations.

- Thunderchero and Sisko are not hiding with Edward Snowden, Julian Assange and Katharine Gun in a bag of rice in Indochina to escape justice for betrayal of secrets.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:32 am - The Supremacy download by Iceman does not come with a voucher for Tiramisu ice cream, that is a malicious deception.
ROTFLMAO!

The voucher is a well kept secret, one of the many easter eggs in Supremacy. :cool:

Nice review, Sisko! I have not watched the entire video, but a reasonable part.
Kudos to TC too for the interview and the shoutout to Supremacy! :up:
Sisko
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Sisko »

Thank you both. I really looked forward to get some ice cream, but I guess I have to wait for another version with a new voucher :razz:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Great talk! Sometimes I wonder too, what other strange guys might be lurking around here. :)

At first, by the title I rather expected some lengthy, boring and all too often failing introduction on how to play the game. I am lucky it is not!
Already from the start it rather focuses on technical background and stuff. That is far more interesting indeed. :up:

I agree it is sad that nowerdays this awesome game is not available on GOG or somewhere official. Actually I've seen a request on there one time but it was turned down. Beside that it is not known who actually is in hold of the ip for this game, one needs to keep in mind that there is another issue with the Star Trek license. As far I know, that license is time limited for maybe two years or so, and once elapsed it either must be renewed or the game must vanish from market. So whoever wants to get the game back to the stores would need to aquire a new Star Trek license for it, and that most likely isn't much tempting.

Probably the most amazing aspect on this game really is the large interest it raised in doing it better. Be it mods, sequels, code fixes or whatsoever. Same time the game is known for having been rather unsuccessful in market with all the countless bugs and issues, and all the complexity and incompleteness it has. To what I experienced, it never really had a huge play community, and those that played rather were tough for messing with game mechanics, micro-management, long thinking pauses and frequent retry. Might be that this way the game already filtered for people with a desire for headache working through all that coding mess. :roll:

That it is still alive also shows that there is still desire and no strategic Star Trek game out there with such a depth and replayability. If never played and not frightened by some little flaws this dated game has, I think it is still a great pick, even the unmodded vanilla version!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

A most excellent video!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

An interview well done. You guys definitely covered all the angles here. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the entire video. :up:

Return to “General Chat”