Is it possible to kill an empire via bribing?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Is it possible to kill an empire via bribing?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Can one bribe an empire's last system (free minor) into terminating the membership treaty and eliminate the empire thereby?

I remember I repeatedly failed with this, regardless of used credits (vendetta I think). But this was about 20 years ago and I never retried.

There might be a code blocking this event, same as some of the three rebellion events are disabled for major home systems and for last system held.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Is it possible to kill an empire via bribing?

Post by Iceman »

You mean if the last system the empire holds is a minor race's homesystem?

If so, as an *opinion*, that situation shouldn't even be possible - the empire should be dissolved immediately when it has no more native systems. Again, it's an opinion on what would make sense in my view.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Yes, I believe I've done that before, but I can't swear to it.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

eber3 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 pm Yes, I believe I've done that before, but I can't swear to it.
Same for me, but too much time passed by that I could tell for sure.

But if I remember right, the problem was not that I couldn't bribe the last minor, but that there didn't happen any empire extinction notification and I didn't get the morale plus when at war. The empire just vanished without notification. So I preferred to always conquer last system.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Yeah, the 'eliminate empire' morale bonus code checks for the new owner of the last system held and is skipped if independent minor or independent rebel (or if system killed).

However, there is four cases for minors terminating their membership treaty:

1. getting conquered
2. rebellion
3. accepting bribe to terminate membership treaty
4. membership offer from a minor who is free member of another empire

In case four the new owner is an empire, so it should trigger the 'eliminate empire' bonus.

Often three and four require some gifts beforehand, but sometimes minors like the mizarians or mintakans have the strange habit to offer membership while being part of another empire i.e. accepting this will cause them to terminate the old membership and join the new empire at the same turn.

My initial question referred to the third case, albeit triggering four should work too. Since the code for this AI behavior is implemented in a very intricate way, there is no fast lookup of the involved factors and limitations.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Confirmed, I just did this in a New Mirror Universe game. Eliminated all the Cardassian planets except for the Gorn homeworld which I then bribed away causing the fall of Cardassian empire.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

eber3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 pm Confirmed, I just did this in a New Mirror Universe game. Eliminated all the Cardassian planets except for the Gorn homeworld which I then bribed away causing the fall of Cardassian empire.
at least some one is playing my new mod :grin:

lol
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

eber3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:07 pm Confirmed, I just did this in a New Mirror Universe game. Eliminated all the Cardassian planets except for the Gorn homeworld which I then bribed away causing the fall of Cardassian empire.
Did you member them (4) or bribe them to terminate their membership (3)?
And did you get a notification message on the fallen empire and receive the moral bonus or not?

And _oft_ how does the Mirror Universe mod play? :D
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

thunderchero wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 pm at least some one is playing my new mod :grin:

lol
Yeah, I've been enjoying it. :up:
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

Flocke wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:55 am Did you member them (4) or bribe them to terminate their membership (3)?
And did you get a notification message on the fallen empire and receive the moral bonus or not?

And _oft_ how does the Mirror Universe mod play? :D
I bribed them to terminate their membership. Yes, I got the message that the Cardassian Empire had fallen. I assume I got the moral bonus....

The New Mirror Universe mod plays very well. Some mods I've had very long turn processing when playing the large maps, not been much of a problem on this mod.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

eber3 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 pm The New Mirror Universe mod plays very well. Some mods I've had very long turn processing when playing the large maps, not been much of a problem on this mod.
*off topic*

What density are you playing? 15%, 20%, 25% or 30%. Lower density will be a little better on turn processing.

Also lower tech starts help on turn processing since ship range is lower.

I also noted in another topic, if ship range is re-set to vanilla it would also improve turn processing by as much as 50%. plus it did not effect AI that much, they still expanded very well.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

thunderchero wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 pm What density are you playing? 15%, 20%, 25% or 30%. Lower density will be a little better on turn processing.

Also lower tech starts help on turn processing since ship range is lower.

I also noted in another topic, if ship range is re-set to vanilla it would also improve turn processing by as much as 50%. plus it did not effect AI that much, they still expanded very well.
I always select max density and number of minors. I pretty much always select starting levels of 1. I've found, in my opinion, that Ultimate Dominion and All the Ages mods get so slow they are effectively unplayable at the large map size in later turns. For whatever reason, New Mirror does a much better job of turn speed.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

eber3 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:02 pmI bribed them to terminate their membership. Yes, I got the message that the Cardassian Empire had fallen. I assume I got the moral bonus....
The fallen empire message (default 'a day long remembered') you get even for unknown empires and has nothing to do with morale. This would be a second message about some celebration on this occasion and morale +50 empire wide.

thunderchero wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 pmat least some one is playing my new mod :grin:

lol
Well, actually we bribed eber3 into doing so.... :wink: :wink:
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:51 pm Well, actually we bribed eber3 into doing so.... :wink: :wink:
yeah but giving him 1 dozen tribbles was more of a penalty, since now he has 500+ (this number is growing by the minute). :grin:

It would be helpful if you had a saved game before they were bribed?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:28 pmIt would be helpful if you had a saved game before they were bribed?
Never mind, pointless in this case.

Return to “General Chat”