Starsector - A must have $20 game

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Verbitz
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Starsector - A must have $20 game

Post by Verbitz »

I have not been here for awhile but wanted to share another jewel of a game with the BOTF Community.
I did not find this when I did a search and wanted to share.

Game is called Starsector - Website is https://fractalsoftworks.com/

Short Review
    Game has been in development for about 11 years.
      The game has a lot of qualities like BOTF, but you start with a single or small group of tiny ships. Later you can have a whole fleet. Or system with lots of fleets. With Officers & Administrators.
        You can colonize planets. Intel is carried out by you, with raids and such. Mods have Agents you can do things like......
          There are many factions and and endgame (Redacted)
            Huge amount of mods, changing everything, including ship styles, weapons, and gameplay, I have about 40 or so mods running at the same time. About 12 of the added mods are factions, with another mod that makes all those added factions blend seamlessly.
              During battles you control shields, weapons (You can chose to fire certain ones, and make rest autofire), maneuvering, and give commands to other ships that are engaged. It is difficult at first, but greatly satisfying. Once you figure it out, you can take on larger fleets and get a victory by being smart and using strategy.
                If you use a lot of mods, you can update the amount of useable RAM to use more memory, makes game run better.
                  Graphics 10/10 - Sound 10/10 - Gameplay 10+/10 - UI 9/10 - Story 8/10 - Stability 9/10

If you have more time I highly recommend you check out this review, it tells about all the things you could do a year ago... the new update added a ton of new things.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acqpulP1hLo

Here is a video of what some of the fighting looks like (polka music included)
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvCOdf8W98

This game may be one of the best uses of $20 I have had in my life.
                  Deimos
                  Lieutenant-Commander
                  Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Starsector - A must have $20 game

Post by Deimos »

Game has been in development for about 11 years.
                  Unfortunately, that's what puts me off of buying it, how long until it's actually released as a finished product? another 11 years?

Development is just too slow and I can't even imagine why it's taken 11 years to reach Alpha release state.

I've made the mistake of buying into early access/pre release games in the past.

Return to “General Chat”