The new Star Treks...

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

The new Star Treks...

Post by Tethys »

I do not like them. I watched the first episode of Picard, and absolutely hated it. I have not watched even one more episode since.

I watched more STD than i did STP, almost made it through the first season, but I had a massive loss of interest for some reason I now cannot remember. Prequels are usually a very bad, VERY BAD, idea (as we saw with Enterprise, although with todays content, its looking better and better). Picard is.. idk, they waited too long in my opinion. Stewart is gonna kick the bucket like, yesterday, and what are they gonna do.. Paul Walker him into the rest of the series? Cmon, man.

The stories are just not thought provocative enough for me. I remember back when I was a young boy, waiting for the new episodes of DS9 and Voyager... that was all that mattered. More fun than playing with friends, more important than doing homework... video games even get turned off when it was time for Star Trek on UPN 44, and later on the CW.

I REALLY wish they would have brought back the Star Trek everyone knows and loves, instead of trying to pander to the smaller audience of scifi enthusiasts that only care about light shows and explosions. Something not new, not fresh; but something tried, and true.

I feel like I am living in the Mirror universe now or in some alternate timeline where everyone has bad taste except me. :cry:
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: The new Star Treks...

Post by Deimos »

Saw a comment on a youtube video earlier about "The Burn" from Star Trek Discovery, I think it sums up that entire series perfectly:

"The burn, like everything in this series, is based on someone having an emotional breakdown."

I find I'm forcing myself to watch Discovery (and Picard) because I love Trek, but I find myself rolling my eyes at it in nearly every episode and fast-forwarding through the boring emotional/drama scenes.
It was nice seeing the Enterprise show up and do battle, but I find myself not liking any of the characters in it.
I watched a 4-minute video from TNG when the USS Yamato explodes due to that Iconian virus and that 4-minute video was more emotional and thought-provoking than the entire Discovery series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ_Y_5bQhS8

I often watch this guy's channel for reviews on things and he reviews both Picard and DIscovery in his videos.

Discovery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyMHkkB5gXg

Picard - https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCriticalDr ... ery=picard

I really wanted to like Star Trek Picard, because I love Sir Patrick and loved TNG, I really thought it was going to be themed or produced in the same way as TNG, after all, it's about Picard!
Sadly no.
As much as I love Patrick, he's just too old and frail to play a lead role now, he was so frail in the series and I genuinely felt sorry for him.
I was hoping he would be "reborn" at the end into a new body, with a new actor who could take on his role, with cameos from Sir Patrick dotted throughout the subsequent season(s).
And now season 2 is on the way and it looks like more time travel-based crap, oh yay!

I honestly have no idea who their target audience is, but I'm just glad I'm not one of those audience members!
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

The problem with these new treks, especially the Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto etc. movies is that they have become something like a sports competition, there's just too much speed sometimes, and everything must be shot or beaten up, which part is low quality entertainment just as sports are.
Last edited by Axis on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impress the Empress.
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Deimos »

One of the main, perhaps picky issues I have with ALL the latest films, is just how weak the Enterprise is vs any enemy.

The shields in this new era of films seem to be non existant, you see debris hitting the hull and causing damage in the first film, despite the claim "deflectors are holding!" and you see the Vengeance tearing right through the hull in Into Darkness when using phasors, then the shields have zero effect against those mining drones in ST Beyond.

I get it, the ship was facing stronger enemies in all three films, but even in the old TOS era films (at least in the last one), the Enterprise only had a scorched hull when multiple torpedoes hit the shielding, it's only when the shields collapsed, did a torpedo breach the Enterprise's hull.

I think the last film just put me right off paying to watch any future ones in the cinema.

In the time it took Christine Chapel to run from medical to the bridge, the Enterprise had journeyed from Klingon space to Earth's orbit, what?
And during that very short transit, the comms were down, so they couldn't contact Starfleet, erm?
And when they do finally arrive right next to the moon, the comms are suddenly working again, but they can't contact Starfleet or any ship or station in Earth's orbit, but they can contact Prime Spock on New Vulcan, light years away?

There have just been so many tedious issues with the new films that I just can't accept and I'm genuinely surprised that Simon Pegg who's supposedly a huge Star Trek fan and had a direct hand in writing and/or directing these films, didn't do it differently.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I am very close to creating a new Memory Alpha site for purists, dedicated to classic Star Trek.

It would be exactly like Memory Alpha was before all the alternate timeline and NuTrek confusion was added. Could be a lot of work if someone gets mad and tries to delete it or alter the content. It could spell war...
Robbs
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Robbs »

Lower Decks anyone ;)
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

And they did have to destroy the Enterprise... AGAIN, I think they have some kind of loser problem there, the Enterprise must be destroyed.
Of course it brings drama, but it's just a bit too sad and boring thing to see again and again.
Last edited by Axis on Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impress the Empress.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I downloaded this today, just need to figure out how to use it...

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Me ... e_download
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to make a new ST wiki. I haven't visited memory-alpha in quite some time. So, not sure if much has changed there. The old TV-shows we know and love can't be edited away by some people, however. So, I'd pick my battles wisely and focus my energy on worthwile projects.

###

Discovery season 2 was the pinnacle of blowing shit up and fast shots. I can't even remember what the story was about. But damn it was stressful to watch.

With Picard I only remember space flowers and copypasted final battle. Ah yeah and the Borg Cube was nice. But that's as memorable as it got for me.

Perhaps all of this is still the aftermath of the writer's strike.

I think a good way to approach this is just to expect trash at this point. Like yesterday when I knew we were going to watch a trash horror movie and not to expect anything of it. And it was a fun experience.

It's all about exploiting of what was and fast gainz nowadays. There's not really a long term game in place. The supply with shitty and quick shows is pretty much unending and the majority of the viewers are gobbling them up like fast food. Netflix is a good example of throwing neverending shit at the wall and trying to find out what sticks.

Tidbits of progression, story, lore and worldbuilding placed here and there, literally no sustenance and the audience is left wanting for more.

It's for the masses. And it's a reflection of what's going on socially.

Thinking is hard and being challenged by a TV show? yea, that's nuts. I just wanna sit there and relax and consume. Computers are too difficult to use for me, too. I just wanna sit on my couch and play games by the push of a button. /s
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:03 am I'm not entirely sure why you feel the need to make a new ST wiki. I haven't visited memory-alpha in quite some time. So, not sure if much has changed there. The old TV-shows we know and love can't be edited away by some people, however. So, I'd pick my battles wisely and focus my energy on worthwile projects.
Really dude??? If you are trying to trigger me.. just say the NuTrek is canon... :lol: I cannot even fact check for my mod changes now, because there is a ton of WRONG and MISLEADING information. Ah, did I mention that the website now has more ADVERTISEMENTS than content? Yeah. It is actually quite imperative that a new ST wiki is created ASAP to preserve the purity of Star Trek canon and relevant information to the 5 series and 10 movies. <- We all know in our hearts and our brains this is how it should be.

Check out THIS link.. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Barzan

where is the Barzan from TNG?

It's been changed around, moved, and edited so much that so much data is missing or buried underneath all the CRAP!!!!!!
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bhavani

The Benzites appear safe, for now... https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Benzite
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I was definitely not trying to trigger you. I haven't been on ST wikis (alpha, beta) for years now.

I'm not a huge fan of wikis in general. I think for wikipedia in general there's a rule that older users have authority over newer ones. A lot of manipulation can and does take place there. And the amount of people parroting information because wikipedia says so is staggering.

So what's going on @memory-alpha nowadays? At first glance it looks like some people desperately tried to fit Discovery in there. I can't imagine a lot of people accepting it as Canon, though.

Fitting this one side-character in this page looks really odd and forced. Esp. at the very top of the article. She could have an entry under 4.5.2 as known Barzan people or something but the very top is just silly.

What I can imagine is that a lot of people just left Star Trek for good. That left a space which is now filled with the ones that actually like the newer shows. And they can steer the narrative and what is found however they may please.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:25 amFitting this one side-character in this page looks really odd and forced. Esp. at the very top of the article. She could have an entry under 4.5.2 as known Barzan people or something but the very top is just silly.

What I can imagine is that a lot of people just left Star Trek for good. That left a space which is now filled with the ones that actually like the newer shows. And they can steer the narrative and what is found however they may please.
This is exactly my point, and the reason why we NEED a legitimate Memory Alpha with prime canon ONLY. People have left Star Trek because it's now a clusterf*ck of a dumpster fire right now, and they don't want to be associated with it. And I totally understand, because I feel the same way.

I guess my goal is to establish a place where Primeline™ (just made that term up :P) Star Trek fans can feel at home with some type of familiarity. Nobody likes conflicting data and misinformation, unless you are trying to change a narrative to suit your beliefs. It is truly a disgrace and I can't even describe how terrible it makes me feel inside. Star Trek was a safe space, and now it's been ruined :cry:

I would call her,

Memory Alpha: Prime
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Prime reminds me of well, Amazon.

I always have a hard time with naming, so I sadly can't offer an alternative at this moment.

A wiki is a long-term project and lives by the contributors. I can imagine it to be time consuming, too. Esp. when only a few people maintain it and write articles in the first place. There needs to be commitment or it will crumble fast.

The download you linked above seems interesting. But I'm not sure if one could just set up a pre-Jar Jar Abrams wiki without at least some implications.

I mean the articles were written by other people, probably tens of thousands if not more edits over the years since the inception of memory-alpha itself. Not sure how people would feel if this data collection is suddenly hosted somewhere else without their permission. But then again it's largely a collection of information, so there shouldn't be any ownership issues.

I also don't know who is behind memory-alpha and if they would allow or fight a step like this. This is better cleared up beforehand.

I'm clearly no expert on these issues and perhaps I'm overly cautious. But then again ignorance is no excuse.

Personally, I see quite some unknowns here.

However, don't take this the wrong way. I like the idea.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:22 pm Prime reminds me of well, Amazon.
Yes, me too. But not sure what else to call it lol
KrazeeXXL wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:22 pm I also don't know who is behind memory-alpha and if they would allow or fight a step like this. This is better cleared up beforehand.
I don't think it matters. There's no legal rights to deal with. They freely posted their backup database, public domain. I am just talking about removing the JJ crap and the stuff from NuTrek. The complete backup includes all backups from every day since they started doing backups of MA. I'd say one of them should have what I'm looking for. But I have literally no experience with wikis. :(
KrazeeXXL wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:22 pm However, don't take this the wrong way. I like the idea.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

One thing bad about these new Treks are the look of the ships, from the days of TMP, they've become filthy-looking, yeah, I know they have "realism" in their minds, but does it always contain the idea that they have to look ugly? :dwn:

Here's a better looking USS Discovery, made by Colourbrand: :up:
discovery__my_version__by_colourbrand_ddcvx9s-fullview.jpg
discovery__my_version__by_colourbrand_ddcvx9s-fullview.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Impress the Empress.

Return to “General Chat”