Windows Update strikes again

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Windows Update strikes again

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Well, here's the thing. The mouse is off ;) It's wireless and has a button to turn it off completely.

Despite the iso mats I've here for sports which should reduce vibrations, it's probably me stumbling around in the morning, though :lol:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Strange but still some other part of the hardware might still cause a micro impulse due to vibrations, if it's just a shakier plug or internal wire....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Not just laser mice, some ball mice did that.
It was an issue when I worked for Walgreens a decade ago. The computers in the repair lab/workshop were running XP even in 2013. Most had PS/2 keyboards/mice.
Often we did not need the computers for a given piece of equipment as we were using the registers or something else entirely, and sometime the equipment could be serviced on its own without hooking it up to something.
An issue was that the computers would often wake up seemingly on their own, or when somebody came by with a cartload of equipment they were bringing back to their workspace (basically a cubical or desk, but technically they were long counters with divisions like cubicles that we called workspaces). Heck, given how often somebody performed percussive maintenance, even if that was just banging something to try to get a panel loose, the computers would wake up all the time and drove us nuts.

Anyways, testing was done by unplugging the mouse and found the computers no longer woke up randomly.
Unfortunately, the PS/2 mice did NOT have the "power management" tab appear in Device Manager.
We never really did solve that problem, but most USB mice DO have a way to fix this.
BTW, here's a link to when I posted on answers.microsoft.com about the problem.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d9ab4059cd

As mentioned there, most USB mice DO have an option to stop them from waking the computer.
  1. Log in as an admin
  2. Open Device Manager
  3. find the mouse in question under "mice and other pointing devices"
  4. get properties
  5. Click on "Power Management"
  6. Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"
  7. Click "OK
  8. Close Device manager.
  9. You're done.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Hey there!

Well, like already mentioned, in the past year my PC started to turn on as soon as I switch on the power adapter switch and when instead I forgot to switch it off, the PC sometimes even turned on out of a sudden despite that it was shut down completely and startup after power loss or any bios startup events were disabled.

But given the PC also was crashing from time to time and Win 8.1 is nearing support end, and given I already collected items to build another PC a while ago, the past days I decided to finally do the move and do both a fresh Winows 11 and a Linux Mint dual install. Despite carrying over my PSU the issue is gone for now and suprisingly, putting in my old BeQuiet PSU - that I already deemed broken for the very same issue - to the older PC, the issue there is gone for now as well.

Right now I have the suspicion that at least in my case the issue is related to my aging motherboard and some dust cleanup or removed components that drained additional power. I further believe that my power adapter might cause some load peaks given the power switch light is flickering from time to time.

So when your PC turns up out of a sudden while you enter the room, it might also be related to your coffee machine you turned on a few minutes before or something. But I agree unexpected PC wake-ups are an annoying matter.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

The computer turning on when you turn on the power bar sounds like a common BIOS setting. It's called different things depending on the brand but is designed to turn on the computer automatically after a blackout. It is intended for servers or computers accessed remotely where the person might be going away but need access to the computer via the internet and won't be able to just physically go there and turn it on.
It's called different things like "Restore on AC Power loss" or "AC Power Recovery" or something along those lines depending on the brand. Note those are actual options on two of my older computers (since I don't feel like checking my modern system as that requires a reboot).
Also apparently some systems have a BIOS setting for "PS2 KB/MS wakeup" although if you turn it off I'm unsure how you are supposed to wake up the computer.

I would look at the BIOS options
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Another thing I miss about the ninetees. Remember these massive switches with metal springs in them? When you pressed the switch it was audible and it was absolutely sure that power was off for good. No S0-S5 sleepstates for all kinds of situations. Just a simple killswitch.
slickrcbd wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:18 am As mentioned there, most USB mice DO have an option to stop them from waking the computer.
  1. Log in as an admin
  2. Open Device Manager
  3. find the mouse in question under "mice and other pointing devices"
  4. get properties
  5. Click on "Power Management"
  6. Uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"
  7. Click "OK
  8. Close Device manager.
  9. You're done.
Thanks again, slick. I haven't looked into device manager for quite some time now. I've couple of double entries for the two mice I use, so I deactivated everything nonetheless. I usually wake the PC up by pressing a key anyway.

Now, when it comes to keyboards however @device manager, I've tons of multiple entries for the same devices. I think this happens when another USB port is used and a driver gets installed again or something. I've also a couple of old hubs which might contribute to that.

Here, take a look at the sheer insanity: xD

I think, I'd cleaned that stuff up a couple of years ago when I ran into trouble with my Garmin smartwatch. Not sure what I did. I think I used some tool or something. For some versions, I had some major trouble with that watch and getting any kind of connections. Whether it was bluetooth and my phone or USB on PC.

Anyway. I just checked my BIOS. It's been just a couple of weeks since I last updated. I've found the AC option but it was disabled. However, wake-up on lan was activated. And that's usually a setting I make sure to deactivate. Guess I couldn't be arsed last time. Usually, I like updates, but damn it's been a ride with Gigabyte. Not quality wise or something but just the sheer amount. Counted 22 different versions. xD
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

KrazeeXXL wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:04 pmAnother thing I miss about the ninetees. Remember these massive switches with metal springs in them? When you pressed the switch it was audible and it was absolutely sure that power was off for good. No S0-S5 sleepstates for all kinds of situations. Just a simple killswitch.
For that reason I use a power board with illuminated on/off switch for my home office hardware.
Looks like crap but solves said issues (not for temp sleep mode).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Actually, if you look farther down in Device Manager there is "Mice and other pointing devices" under Windows 11. In earlier versions it was often just "Mice".
You'll want to look under that section for the power management options.
Also they ONLY appear if you are logged in as an admin.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

slickrcbd wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:23 pm I would look at the BIOS options
That's been my first thought as well, but it's all turned off and like said in my case it looks to be related to aged hardware and dust, that's all. The initial power fluctuation when I turn on the power strip switch then is enough to turn on the PC despite it is set not to power up after power loss.
The phenomen occurance also slowly increased over the year and now that I finally changed some components and cleaned some dust the issue is gone for now. :wink:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Flocke wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:38 pmnow that I finally changed some components and cleaned some dust the issue is gone for now. :wink:
I don't use desktop computers for some time, but some of my older mainboards and PSUs had jump switches for named power settings (often with nonconforming manuals :mad: ). This leads back to vibrations, repeated 'percussive maintenance' (or unobservant cleaning) sometimes loosened a shakier small jumper leading to changed system behavior.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

slickrcbd wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:37 pm Actually, if you look farther down in Device Manager there is "Mice and other pointing devices" under Windows 11. In earlier versions it was often just "Mice".
You'll want to look under that section for the power management options.
Also they ONLY appear if you are logged in as an admin.
As I wrote, there were some double entries there (5) but that's about it. I made the screenshot of the keyboard part because of the sheer amount of devices listed there.

Btw, something prevented the PC from going to sleep again. I checked powercfg requests and nothing there. I also checked eventviewer and got multiple messages for a wrong Update Size of Gigabyte's SSD Toolbox. A rather useless app which I just de-installed. It's supposed to be able to make firmware updates and trim but those options never worked for whatever reasons.

Now, what I've noticed recently is that Windows itself got way more strict when it comes to app access and usability in general. Example: I was just using notepad++ and couldn't save simple *.txt files anymore. Same even for Word and Excel 2019. Teracopy wasn't working anymore either. I had to allow all kinds of everyday apps under Windows Defender/ransomware protection to get some basic usability back. Defender is the only AV I run btw and it likes to push updates outside of usertime. But it wasn't responsible for the sleep-prevent.

Since it's almost 3am and I'm highly awake, I have to say that I'm sick and tired of this stuff happening.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I had something like that happen a couple months ago and it turned out that "Controlled Folder access" was the problem.
Use the Windows Security icon in the notification area (lower-right corner of the taskbar next to the clock) to open "Virus & threat protection"
Scroll down to "Virus & threat protection settings" and click "manage settings"
Scroll down to "Controlled folder access"
Click on "manage controlled folder access"
turn it off.
See if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't, it's possible you have some malware that is messing with your security settings. I'd run a full scan with Malwarebytes.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

It's been some time. I heeded your recommendation once again, slick, and turned that ransomware protection off. It got annoying at some point basically preventing pretty much anything.

Standby seems to be working now as intendend. Computer turns off, stays off. Though I had to deactivate the mice again @standby. (was re-activated for whatever reasons).
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:32 pm
KrazeeXXL wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:17 pmLets start with the weird one (1.).

1. PC is in sleep-mode. I walk by and it wakes up as if it would get an input by keyboard/mouse to get out of sleep again. I'd describe this as some Cylon-level shenanigans and have no idea what makes the PC wake up. It's like it can sense me.
It can, the vibrations of your steps can activate some laser mice (depending on floor structure). Your issue 3 might be related to other external vibrations?

Try to disconnect mouse (e.g. usb) in sleep mode. :idea:
I think I mentioned this, but for 99% of standard 3-button USB mice, you can goto Device Manager (must be running as admin. type devmgmt.msc into the search box and right-click to run as admin if you are logged in as a standard user), find "mice and other pointing devices" and get properties on everything under it. Find the "power management tab". There uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer". Again, you probably need to do this for everything if there are multiple entries, which sometimes happens for reasons that baffle me.

I posted about this solution and it not working for PS/2 mice back in 2012, but the info here should also work for figuring how how to do it.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d9ab4059cd
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Mice still woke up the PC even with this option off. ^^ And I disabled all the USB devices and there were a lot. Just insert a dongle into another slot and you get a new entry xD

Due to new sysdrive, I had to re-install a couple of days ago. Now it's back to square one wrt to standby. The superficial power plan settings do nothing when it comes to standby. Right now it's as standby isn't even enabled.

I tried out Win 11, though. What a mess this OS is. Just wow. Lots of questionable changes which just add up and up. So, I'm back to Win 10 ^^

edit: got it working quickly this time, though

Return to “General Chat”