Does anyone here play Stardrive 1?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Does anyone here play Stardrive 1?

Post by Deimos »

I think this is my favourite space game of all time now. (It's a bit like Master of Orion, but real-time, vs turn-based).

The game came out in 2013 and the base game itself is, well, buggy and deserves the status of the mixed reviews on Steam

But, like BOTF, it has a modding community, not only that, there are a dedicated few developers who've basically ripped apart the default game and upgraded/updated the code over the last few years.

They've added significant improvements, features and squashed a lot of bugs.

It's a little on the pricey side for a game of its age and state, but once you install the BlackBox addon (which replaces the core game and it's functions) and install the combined arms mod, it expands the game significantly.

The best feature by far for me, is the ship customization screen, you can basically customize everything on your ships and you have a ton of different weapons, shields and aux modules to play with.

Ship combat is also very satisfying, with lots of types of weapons firing and all sorts.

My cruiser class ships engaging a Remnant mothership (these are automated drones that seek to exterminate all life, bit like the drones in Star Gate Universe).
20220521212758_1.jpg
20220521212758_1.jpg (327.47 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
This is a zoomed-in shot of the mothership, with the internal components showing, as each component is damaged, it changes colour from greenish to black (destroyed).
20220522023553_1.jpg
20220522023553_1.jpg (512.75 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
The ship customization screen, I've only researched the basic levels of tech but already have an overwhelming choice of options to choose from.
20220522022720_1.jpg
20220522022720_1.jpg (559.66 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Does anyone here play Stardrive 1?

Post by Martok »

I own both Stardrive games; a pity the developer abandoned both. I was actually a Kickstarter backer for the first one.

I know about the Blackbox and Combined Arms mods for Stardrive 1, but haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. I know they get a lot of praise, and that the mod creators have done a *lot* of work on them.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Deimos
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Does anyone here play Stardrive 1?

Post by Deimos »

Yea, the developer has effectively abandoned every game he's released (3 and counting).

It's a shame because the core game itself (SD1 at least and SD2 to some degree) is a lot of fun, but he just releases things in what I'd consider an Alpha state and considers it acceptable.

The team behind the black-box mod or rewrite, has spent a considerable time rewriting and adding things to the base game.
Combine that with the Combined Arms Mod and you've got a very enjoyable experience.

Return to “General Chat”