Demands. Sounds crazy but I can't find any explanation about them here.

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

PTRACER
Ensign
Ensign

Demands. Sounds crazy but I can't find any explanation about them here.

Post by PTRACER »

I've found various threads where the code is discussed but nothing specific about the gameplay itself.

1. Why do the AI request money?
2. What happens if I pay up/ignore/reject?
3. Why do I want to demand money from the AI (besides for the money), what effect does it have and under what circumstances will they pay up?

I tend to go with the ignore option and have hardly ever paid them. I prefer to spend the credits on myself (and usually paying up means taking a huge hit on my funds anyway).

So what's the deal with this gameplay mechanic?
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: Demands. Sounds crazy but I can't find any explanation about them here.

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

There is the the viewable regard value and also hidden counts for good/bad experiences vs each empire.

Pay up + ignore/reject -

In most cases paying AI requests increases the chance of them not attacking you and/or teaming up with another empire against you.

But if your empire is too weak, military wise, it won't really help (unless they are at war with other empires). So only pay if you want a treaty with that empire.

They will pay you depending on regard, your military strength and wars with other empires.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I rarely get the computer to accept a demand.
The only use I have for it is to make the computer mad and break a treaty so I don't get the morale hit.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Payment & no payment helps to balance relations. Sometimes it's good to accept a demand to send a higher one back soon thereafter. That works when you have no contested border but a common enemy or established trade routes. When they are at war with another empire, help either side and ask for payment. You however need to have a strong fleet for them to accept.

It's a bit tricky, but under the right conditions you can gain a decent amount of credits with it. That specially works when they both are in fear to fight you and same time you have some treaty, a war pact or other balancing factors that raises the relationship again.

When your fleet is strong enough and you fight the Ferengi, in later games you might also get lucky for them to offer you a few 100k credits in exchange for a peace treaty. I remember I once had an offer for 500k credits or something. But when you are in a good position, also with plain demands you can easily make a few 100k credits.

I however never reliably found the right condition and messed my relations pretty soon.
PTRACER
Ensign
Ensign

Post by PTRACER »

Thanks for the answers all. So if I send a demand to another race, will it reduce my relationship bar?
Last edited by PTRACER on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Most of the time they get mad at you.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

PTRACER wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 amSo if I send a demand to another race, will it reduce my relationship bar drop?
A bit (more if they accept IIRC) and the bad experiences count increases. You can do something 'good' to compensate like attacking ships of their enemies.

The same happens if you send frequent proposals and get rejected (also with minor races).
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:50 am
PTRACER wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 amSo if I send a demand to another race, will it reduce my relationship bar drop?
A bit (more if they accept IIRC) and the bad experiences count increases. You can do something 'good' to compensate like attacking ships of their enemies.

The same happens if you send frequent proposals and get rejected (also with minor races).
About that, going off on a tangent, what do you do if you're the feds and your relationship bar with a minor is maxed, but they keep rejecting your affiliation treaty?

I've been there a couple times, and it's usually either with the Mentakans or a race who I really want access to their shipyard/spaceport to extend my range because there's a hostile power nearby and building an easily destroyed outpost would be asking for my ships to get cut off if war breaks out.
Yes, I know I could sacrifice two transports for a starbase that would probably cost less than bribing the minor, but then I risk the minor coming under the hostile power's influence and letting them extend their range into my territory without having to build outposts.
Last edited by slickrcbd on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

I recall the situation. It mostly happens if there is a bribing/bidding war with another empire i.e. some hidden counts are not in your favour.

Might also be a glitch (one time I failed to turn a minor even after more than 30 maximum possible bribes) or special codes for certain minor races/personalities.

One the other hand, for treaties with other empires it's quite common. But I suppose you meant affiliation with minors not alliance (empire only).
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I mean both, however the major empires tend to be much less straightforward than the minors when it comes to diplomacy.
With the minors, they are like the Ferengi should be. Strictly transactional. You pay them money, they start to like you more in proportion to the bribe. Get your rep high enough and they will accept your offer of friendship/affiliation/membership.

However, bribing the major powers doesn't do a simple increase in how much they like you, and often they might refuse treaties even if your rep is near max.

Return to “General Chat”