Error Correction Mod Version 3

Error Correction Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Storko
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Re: Error Correction Mod Version 2

Post by Storko »

Wow, what speedy service! Thanks.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Error Correction Mod Version 2

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I have replaced installer for this mod, there were no changes made to the mod, only the version was corrected in registry. This was allowing conflicts in mp games.

so most of you will not need to reinstall But if you play this in MP games I suggest downloading and reinstalling.

Error_Correction_mod_3.0.exe

thunderchero
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Re: Error Correction Mod Version 2 test version

Post by ruthlessferengi »

does it still cause sync error in mp though?
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
thunderchero

Re: Error Correction Mod Version 2 test version

Post by thunderchero »

ruthlessferengi wrote:

does it still cause sync error in mp though?
This was disabled in one of the version 2 updates. I just had a test game on version 3.0 with zerochance a couple weeks ago and we had no sync errors though 50 + turns

thunderchero
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Re: Error Correction Mod Version 3

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

--> The enabling of some unfinished/ broken features leads to drastic changes in tactical combat. E.g. the "Hold" command can be used in order to keep ships cloaked i.e. to counter the one-uncloaked-ship tactic/exploit; and also the fixed command ship feature renders fast aggressive expansion (blitzkrieg) much more risky due to the lack of tactical options without slow & short ranged command ships.
Having the hold command is good, but I use UE to adjust the range values of my command ships so they aren't slow. Any chance you could make a change to the hard code so cruisers and fast attack have their solo commands available? Otherwise this mod would be great.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

JeanLucPicard1 wrote: Any chance you could make a change to the hard code so cruisers and fast attack have their solo commands available? Otherwise this mod would be great.
If I understand your request correctly, this should do the trick.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: If you want to disable the command ship solo-targeting restriction in one of your mods, just replace 75 with EB in my replacement code at the position below:

Code: Select all

4A6728  0xa5b28    75 10               JNZ SHORT 4A673A
thunderchero
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

I know a few things about hex editing and I have Ultra Edit 32 for a hex editor. How do I want to setup Ultra edit to display the hex values like that?
I did search->goto line a5b28 but it didn't come up.

I also found a bug in ECM 3.0. When liberating a minor race that was formerly a member of your empire from subjugation, you can't build their special
structure anymore i.e., Yridians Intelligence Service.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

JeanLucPicard1 wrote:goto line a5b28 but it didn't come up
you must use go to 0xa5b28

I would have to look in to bug but might be awhile

thunderchero
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

A few quick questions about this mod...

Are there any improved models over the ones currently in the game?
By improved I do not mean to slight these models at all, but just know there is discussion about reworking textures on models, lowering poly counts, meshing with MPR++, and some other things beyond my full understanding in the forums.

I'm merely asking about improved or more widely compatible vanilla models than those currently in this 3.0 ECM.

Another Question would be to confirm if this is a currently accepted mod to BASE a new mod from. I have seen some references to such but wanted to confirm this publicly for myself, as well as any others that might wonder as well.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Dewbacca wrote:Are there any improved models over the ones currently in the game?
models no, only the textures were edited/replaced. MPR++ is a completely different story. :wink:
Dewbacca wrote:Another Question would be to confirm if this is a currently accepted mod to BASE a new mod from.
this all depends on what you are planning. personal mods, do what ever you want. But if you plan on a public release of your mod you need to ask permission for use of materials.

But that being said I have granted permission to base mods from ECM a couple times already. but with the creation of QD patcher there is really no need to do this any more.

you might want to refer to this post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=651

thunderchero
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

That post was where I started. Then I found myself in another post telling someone that 3.0 was the better place to start than 1.0.2 and in reading this thread there was this:
However, if there is a demand for then members of the community might get permission to use ECM as base for an independent multiplayer release
so again... pardon the confusion, some of it is carried over from a few lost posts.

I'll be honest, I'd say that pretty much every mod coming out will need some sort of approval, permission or well deserved credit to the community regardless of where it starts out or winds up if it is publicly released.
but with the creation of QD patcher there is really no need to do this any more.
I suspect this as well, but can't confirm it until I get that tool working. I'm hoping modifying the batch files will simplify my editing the trek.exe.
ETB
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by ETB »

THANK YOU for this wonderful mod! I find myself playing the game in the same manner I did when I first got the CD all those (many many) years ago! This is definitely a great mod and my gratitude goes to all of you who made it happen. I am very pleased with graphics in ECM as I had previously played only "vanilla" BOTF. I love the moons orbiting some of the planets and casting a shadow on the planet too. Cool!

While playing this mod, I noticed a pattern in game crashing that I had not previously detected when playing "vanilla" BOTF (but this error may not be specific to ECM). Specifically, the game consistently crashes when liberating (not conquering) some minor races. I have observed this type of crash during various games when attempting to liberate three minor races - the Vulcans, Yridians, and Zackdorn. I have attached a gamefile from my current game where the Zackdorn are supposed to be liberated but the game crashes instead. However, if I replay the turn and change the commands for the troop transports to conquer (not liberate), the game will proceed without crashing. I have only observed this type of game crash (and work-around) with these three races and only when I attempt to liberate them from an AI.
Attachments
game0 - ZakLibError ECM3.sav
Game will crash only if you attempt to liberate Zackdorn.
(176.02 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
I am beginning to see the appeal of this simulation!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

looks like that game is over..... :grin:

but I did look into error and it looks to be an error in saved game. UE flags 2 errors and corrects 1, but when you find any error it is normally fatal to saved game.

if you can by pass error, I would go that route.

thunderchero
ETB
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by ETB »

thunderchero wrote:looks like that game is over..... :grin:
Yes, but it was an entertaining game! The Ferengi started out with the advantage (Level 5) and I couldn't really help the Cardy's before they were forced out of their union and into the Ferengi Alliance. I was able to help the Klingons fight the Ferengi, which eventually led to an alliance with my Romulan Empire. It seemed quite odd to me to have Romulans and Klingons in an alliance, but then I demanded only honorable behavior from my Commanders! After achieving victory, I went back one turn and (behaving more like a true Romulan) declared war on my ally (just so I could have a few more glorious battles)!
thunderchero wrote: if you can by pass error, I would go that route.

thunderchero
Definitely! I find most errors can be bypassed by simply replaying the turn (and not changing anything). Otherwise, I can normally change something to continue with my game (attacking and destroying Ferengi Scout Ships seems to solve many of my combat-related game crashes).
ETB
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by ETB »

As a follow-up, I WAS able to liberate the Vulcans in my last game. I know I had a series of ECM games where liberating Vulcans, Yridians and Zackdorn always caused a game crash, but those errors were probably due to some unusual glitch during download or installation (or perhaps between the keyboard and chair!).
I have not observed this particular type of crash since I re-downloaded and re-installed ECM3 (and MPR++).

Return to “Error Correction Mod”