Merging Error Correction Mod w/other Mods

Error Correction Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Jourin
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Merging Error Correction Mod w/other Mods

Post by Jourin »

I found my BOTF CD a few weeks ago and thought I would reinstall and play again. I remembered I needed to load a patch and needed some kind of editor to fix the ships so I did a WEB search and found this site. ALL I can say is WOW!

After reading through a lot of stuff, I think the ECMod is the base patch/mod for me, but would like to play some of the other Mods like UDMod, all ages mod, prime directive mod, and borg mod. Do any of these mods already include the ECMod? The new UDmod 5 beta implies but the documentation is not complete so not sure. None of the other mods even reference the ECMod. If they don't include the ECMod fixes, then how can I merge the ECMod with any of the other mods? I ended up manually merging a lot of the prime directive mod manually to the ECM except for the shiplist (which I need some help to understand how) but I can't really do that for the other mods? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated! Also to everyone who has supported this game for the last 10 yrs - just WOW you are all awesome and you have made this pretty good old game feel like a great new game. Thanks!!!!
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Re: Merging Error Correction Mod w/other Mods

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Welcome, Jourin! Always good to see people still playing BotF, even if it is a buggy piece of crap. :eek:

You can't really merge or stack mods as with some other games. But ECM is mostly just patches and fixes to the game, so you may be in luck.

I actually have a program for installing Trek.exe patches here. It includes all the patches for ECM, plus a few more. The tool will also show which of the patches are already installed to Trek.exe (at least the ones it knows about). That way, you can tell if the mods are based on ECM.

I'd advise against just blindly installing all of them, because some patches conflict with others. And I have no idea if the patches will be compatible with other mods. When using the patch tool, potentially conflicting patches will appear red, so those just leave those alone and you'll probably be okay.

Also, if you keep a backup copy of Trek.exe, you can experiment freely and see what works.

This post contains the list of patches used by ECM.
Jourin
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Jourin »

Thanks for the quick reply. Thanks for the link. Question: why is the patcher not in the standard download section? I just read all the files again and don't see it? I checked out the sourceforge link and see two files to lownload - one zip and another with a strange suffix and also very large. Do I need both files or just the zip file? Hopefully just the zip :smile:

The patcher sounds just like what I was asking. Maybe put in the download section so newby's to this forum can find it without asking dumb questions. :grin:
QuasarDonkey
Code Analyst
Code Analyst

Post by QuasarDonkey »

Jourin wrote:Question: why is the patcher not in the standard download section?
I dunno. It's just not :grin:
Jourin wrote: I checked out the sourceforge link and see two files to lownload - one zip and another with a strange suffix and also very large. Do I need both files or just the zip file?
Just the ZIP file. The other one is a tarball containing the source code.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Jourin wrote wrote::Question: why is the patcher not in the standard download section?
QuasarDonkey wrote:I dunno. It's just not
because I am lazy and never asked QD if he want us to host his files. And I do not normally host files without the owners permission. :smile:

thunderchero
Jourin
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Jourin »

Thanks for your help! I just think this site is awesome. I would never have expected this much on BOTF. Look forward to playing the game again. Glad I found the CD...even though I don't really need it now. Thanks again!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Welcome to AFC Jourin! Glad to see you've rediscovered the joys of this grand old game. :D

And since it was mentioned: I keep forgetting to say this, but a *huge* thanks to QuasarDonkey for your work on the BOTF patcher! It worked like a charm on the Balance of Power mod, and I love seeing all the fixes work now. :cool:
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Return to “Error Correction Mod”