New BOTF 1.0.3 installer ready for testing

Error Correction Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

It's an exploit (that fits with cardassian's character) and can be abused like upgrade&scrap, not a bug or error. But this is your baby and your choise. :)

I've already posted all fixable bugs/errors I know. E.g. Insta-terraforming is an unfixable bug. You can tweak it, but not realy fix.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Some additional bugs that maybe can be solved?

- cost of upgrading larger than 65,536 bug (or maybe 65,535?)

It would be really great if there is a way to add a byte to the probably 2byte max value causing this annoying bug

- A large 85pop desert(+50energy) and a smal 25pop vulcan (+25energy) planet have wrong displayed graphics (swapped grapic size and type):

I've tried to look into it, but this isn't my turf. As far as I understand planet.pst contains the wrong setting:
http://www.members.aon.at/zelli/planets.htm

For someone who is familiar with planet modding it shouldn't be much work to find the wrong settings.

Here is a zip file with three vanilla savegames showing the bug (ingame save-name is the sector of the bug):
http://www.file-upload.net/download-120 ... g.ZIP.html

- crash if click on deleted intel reports

The bug is they’re still on the report list.

As to the palette reduction (a good idea) perhaps someone who wants to play vanilla, will miss the explosions (especialy the funny klingon one; or federation Warp core breaches)?
Would be interesting what people think about this.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote:- A large 85pop desert(+50energy) and a smal 25pop vulcan (+25energy) planet have wrong displayed graphics (swapped grapic size and type):

I've tried to look into it, but this isn't my turf. As far as I understand planet.pst contains the wrong setting:
http://www.members.aon.at/zelli/planets.htm
The explanation in the last link is wrong about the second planet size setting, it's not size it's atmosphere.

One of the planets with wrong size is afaik Pluto. The solution is either to fix the size or fix the image. If fix the size - maximum population of Sol changes.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

DCER wrote:The explanation in the last link is wrong about the second planet size setting, it's not size it's atmosphere.
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately here's insufficient basic information on the subject. :(
DCER wrote:One of the planets with wrong size is afaik Pluto. The solution is either to fix the size or fix the image. If fix the size - maximum population of Sol changes.
No, this issue has nothing to do with the sol planets or ani-files.

For some reason the large 85pop desert (+50energy) displays vtos.ani and the smal 25pop vulcan (+25energy) displays dtol.ani. In fact quite the reverse should happen. :?
DCER
Code Master
Code Master

Post by DCER »

This should fix the bug that prevents upgrading buildings when the cost of upgrading is too high:

viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6293
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Thanks DCER Great job.

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

I have first release (1.0.3) ready for testing. If anyone would like links to the files PM me.

New game Installer;

The exe has no cd dependences at all.
available in german and english
Has hades 1.1 preinstalled (1.1 in more compatable than 2.2 for video cards)
and these bug fixes;
Cardassian range bug
AI fleet buildup bug
Cardassian territory-pic bug
512x512 gifs replaced with 256x256 gifs
Explosion textures replaced so all races use same files to lower palette count (102)
Torpedo and phaser mod files added
German taskforce description bug
German inhabitant display bug (German exe only)
Starvation rounding bug
Bandi advancement bug
Resized cun_b.tga, fun_a.tga, antedean.tga to proper size
Enraged Antedean bug
Ultimate Editor added to startmenu
ship stats pop-up bug
card/kling buttons on object database (German only)
Building upgrade cost bug
downgrade bug
Galaxy II 640points beam bug
klingon starbase distance bug
Terraform graphic bug
all 1.0.2 patch files

new mod installers;
NOTE; if modder did not fix these bugs than mod will not have fixes.
new installers will still work with vanilla cd installations but when mod is removed nocd will be left.
here is list of mods completed so far;
BOP1.1 english and german
UDMIII3.0.i
and for testing UM4beta2.0

And thanks for everyones input and bug fixes.

thunderchero
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

thunderchero wrote:AI fleet buildup bug
This means they'll actually build their best ships now, yes?

If so, I think we'll all be playing 1.03 from now on and calling it Vanilla.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

The_Nighthawk wrote:
thunderchero wrote:AI fleet buildup bug
This means they'll actually build their best ships now, yes?

If so, I think we'll all be playing 1.03 from now on and calling it Vanilla.
Yes it does. :wink:
I even setup ship list a little differant here is new order.

starbase
outpost
command
strike cruiser
cruiser
destroyer
scout
colony
troop

This order did produce a few more starbases when an outpost had been "destroyed in battle" in my testing. And special ships were reset to same ships as before.

I also forget some of the changes and uploading new versions of exe's
Added build and scrap fix by gowron 50% round up.

I also made a patch for 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2 cd version installs with or without jokers patch.

will install on english or german

will update all files same as 1.0.3 installer and set reg to 1.0.3

will install nocd and hades 1.1

but no uninstaller (same as joker patch) so if game is uninstalled it will leave files that need to be deleted manully. (botf folder)

thunderchero
Army40
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Army40 »

thunderchero wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have first release (1.0.3) ready for testing. If anyone would like links to the files PM me.

New game Installer;

The exe has no cd dependences at all.
available in german and english
Has hades 1.1 preinstalled (1.1 in more compatable than 2.2 for video cards)
and these bug fixes;
Cardassian range bug
AI fleet buildup bug
Cardassian territory-pic bug
512x512 gifs replaced with 256x256 gifs
Explosion textures replaced so all races use same files to lower palette count (102)
Torpedo and phaser mod files added
German taskforce description bug
German inhabitant display bug (German exe only)
Starvation rounding bug
Bandi advancement bug
Resized cun_b.tga, fun_a.tga, antedean.tga to proper size
Enraged Antedean bug
Ultimate Editor added to startmenu
ship stats pop-up bug
card/kling buttons on object database (German only)
Building upgrade cost bug
downgrade bug
Galaxy II 640points beam bug
klingon starbase distance bug
Terraform graphic bug
all 1.0.2 patch files

new mod installers;
NOTE; if modder did not fix these bugs than mod will not have fixes.
new installers will still work with vanilla cd installations but when mod is removed nocd will be left.
here is list of mods completed so far;
BOP1.1 english and german
UDMIII3.0.i
and for testing UM4beta2.0

And thanks for everyones input and bug fixes.

thunderchero
I've played the UM4beto2.0 as the Federation using the new installer.
Here is the major problem....I've tried to change the Klingon outpost ans starbase with the ones in the UDM 3 ship pack as well as the Vulcan ship and changed the klingon ships from UDM 3....I DID NOT add new ships or anything...just overwritten the existing models with the updated ones.
I used UE_0.6.7c to do that.

Well the game crashed when I used the new vulcan ships, it also crashed when I encountered the new klingon outposts, same thing with the colony and troop transports, same thing with the strike cruiser.

It seems the game is not compatible with any ship packs...(also tried to add the starbases from dr. breen ship pack - same results)

I made sure that I did not overwrite too many ships so that the palettes message does not appear.

as for the mod in itself it does work fine...did not make any changes to the romulans/cardassians or dominions and I didn't encounter any problems...just with the UE replaced ships.
Army40
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Army40 »

I just noticed something...while opening the BotF folder I noticed that there is a UE folder.
I tried to open UE.jar and take a look at the stbof.res file and click on it and it says: "file not found"
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Army40,

EDIT3; saved games or continues will not work with any mod once ships are added.

I just tried to do same setup you had "new english game installer" "newUMbeta4v2.0.exe" added klingon starbase and outpost, troop and colony, K'Vort, Negh'Var at this point ran out of palletes so corrected one and started playing. had no crashes in research screen and in battles with any ships.

not sure what kind of problem you are having.

EDIT; also how did you build a starbase I just found out dafedz has them setup wrong so at higher levels you can not build anything

as far as UE I just went to install path of game and selected stbof.res and it worked fine.

EDIT2; The new installers have finished uploading now. so you might want to try that too. same link

thunderchero
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Right, call me a bonehead here, but I've just spent the last few days with Vanilla 1.02 replacing all the ships with ones from the ship packs from UDM III in amongst others, as well as tweaking all the buiding stats and stuff.

Would i be right in assuming that in order to have all the changes i made to vanilla and utilise the features that 1.03 has corrected i'm going to have to start from scratch again?
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Army40
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Army40 »

thunderchero wrote:Army40,

EDIT3; saved games or continues will not work with any mod once ships are added.

I just tried to do same setup you had "new english game installer" "newUMbeta4v2.0.exe" added klingon starbase and outpost, troop and colony, K'Vort, Negh'Var at this point ran out of palletes so corrected one and started playing. had no crashes in research screen and in battles with any ships.

not sure what kind of problem you are having.

EDIT; also how did you build a starbase I just found out dafedz has them setup wrong so at higher levels you can not build anything

as far as UE I just went to install path of game and selected stbof.res and it worked fine.

EDIT2; The new installers have finished uploading now. so you might want to try that too. same link

thunderchero
Well ok what I did was to install the NX class as well as some Enterprise Era destroyer, I did change the vanilla Vulcan ship with the one in the Minor folder in the UDM 3 ship pack. As for the Klingon starbase and outposts, I remove the vanilla one to add the ones in the UDM3 klingon ship pack folder....and I...hmmm...put some borgs in the minors....well everything crash. As for the Federation Starbases, using UE, I put in the slot to automatically upgrade to outposts to starbases when it becomes available and it worked...altho I couldn't built outposts after that.

I reinstalled the whole thing today....still using the newUMbeta4v2.0 but playing the cardassians. I only added the new cardassian outpost and starbase from dr. breen ship pack. the outpost works fine but is rather very very small and doesn't shoot phasers only torpedoes. As for the ships, I just added 2 new models for the klingons as command ships 2 and strike cruiser 2. I did not have to chance to see if they worked fine.
I encountered a Klingon Starbase (vanilla one...did not touch it) and the game crashed....after that...I couldn't make it work again.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

stardust wrote:Right, call me a bonehead here, but I've just spent the last few days with Vanilla 1.02 replacing all the ships with ones from the ship packs from UDM III in amongst others, as well as tweaking all the buiding stats and stuff.

Would i be right in assuming that in order to have all the changes i made to vanilla and utilise the features that 1.03 has corrected i'm going to have to start from scratch again?
I hate to say you might have to start over or do some major hex editing by hand.

If you used UE to make ALL your changes it will make it easier

first open ue and go to EDIT\OTHER\ list of modifed files and extract all files to a folder
then go to botf folder and copy trek.exe to a new folder with other file you just extracted

then load 1.0.3 or 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 patch
add files you extracted from UE to stbof.res with winrar
next you will need to hex edit old and new trek.exe and tranfer all phaser info from old exe to new exe. if you need help here PM me and send me both exe's
Army40 wrote:Well ok what I did was to install the NX class.
not sure where you got NX class ship but ok

But you might want to try a differant mod UM4 might have other problems
Army40 wrote:I put in the slot to automatically upgrade to outposts to starbases.
all outpost and starbases must be set to outpost for them to upgrade
Army40 wrote:I only added the new cardassian outpost and starbase from dr. breen ship pack. the outpost works fine but is rather very very small and doesn't shoot phasers only torpedoes.
each mod uses differant scale, so scale would need to be reset. as fas a phasers I did very little testing on DR_Breens ships so would take sometime to test.
Army40 wrote:I just added 2 new models for the klingons as command ships 2 and strike cruiser 2.
from what I have found at this point your palette list should be over by 2 ships when using UM4

thunderchero

Return to “Error Correction Mod”