Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:36 pm Hi,
I suppose there is an uncertain situation of agents sent to a minor race, once that race is assimilated by the Borg. Simply I see my envoy listed, but nothing else happens. I assume that traveling agents should be redirected back to the capitol, but stationing ones should die - I do not expect the Borg to assimilate an agent, despite how interesting it sounds ;)
And some turns after that I got a message that the open borders treaty with that assimilated race expired.
These should be fixed in v9 which I just uploaded. Could you please check?

I have met again an error not allowing me to progress:
This one too.

I rolled back some of the changes to fleet merging to see if it improves things a bit.

How do you find the shipbuilding AI in this branch? Compared to the "regular" AI.
At some point we need to keep to a single branch, this is way too confusing and too much work.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

First I tried my Borg game with Experimental-9 patch and everything seems to work fine, no mixed ships, no crashes. I had some fights and assimilated some systems, but only minor races. I played about 30 turns and one thing is different - after pressing 'turn' nothing happens , at least on my screen, exactly by 60 seconds. After that some messages about turn processing start and the rest of the processing is really short. Is it a kind of test option or just a coincidence? It is quite new game, so processing of other empires usually did not last so long.

A correction - that break last about 80 seconds now.the problem disappeared after a restart. Sorry for too fast, not verified message.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Instead of that I found another endless loop, this time in a fight between Borg Transwarp Hub and a Dominion scout.
Screenshot (33).jpg
Screenshot (33).jpg (381.78 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
No error log generated, so I can only attach a save:
SP Borg Huge Irregular 84.zip
(475.92 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:09 pm First I tried my Borg game with Experimental-9 patch and everything seems to work fine, no mixed ships, no crashes. I had some fights and assimilated some systems, but only minor races.

Sorry for too fast, not verified message.
No prob.

- can you try that Klingon turn 275 game with EXP_9 and check how things go with morale? Subjugated colonies should get no global morale events at all (colonization, bombardment, eliminate empire, etc). I'd like your opinion on how your Romulan colonies do (with only the local morale for being subjugated).

- are space battles with 3 or more civs working ok?

Instead of that I found another endless loop, this time in a fight between Borg Transwarp Hub and a Dominion scout.
I think I know what's going on, thanks!
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I tried that envoy case and nothing change for me. I cannot recall the envoy and nothing else happens. I attached a save one turn before Mokra assimilation, so would be easier to test.
SP Cardassians Huge Irregular 408.zip
(669.48 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
I will try turn 275 again and let you know
- are space battles with 3 or more civs working ok?
As i remember I had no 3 civs in one battle recently, apart that fleet mixture in the Borg game. As I remember, in the past, the side of the third fleet (friend or enemy) was somehow accidental and I had to attack both fleets, even if I had a war only on one of them. A choice there would be appreciated.
How do you find the shipbuilding AI in this branch? Compared to the "regular" AI.
At some point we need to keep to a single branch, this is way too confusing and too much work.
The fleets are more 'heavy' and differentiated, for example Feds had recently more cruisers than destroyers in a fleet of 30 ships. I think a come back to one branch is necessary and I do not see any significant disadvantages or mistakes in the experimental approach. I fully support that. The AI is more aggressive, but in a good way. Maybe a willing to declare war is too easy, but it might be caused by my difficulty parameter.
BTW - the Dominion still prefers Attack Ships (but with some Battle Ships in the same fleet). Maybe to raise the attack ship class slightly. As I remember it is weaker than frigate, so maybe something about frigate class.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:19 pm I tried that envoy case and nothing change for me. I cannot recall the envoy and nothing else happens. I attached a save one turn before Mokra assimilation, so would be easier to test.
Thanks, it was very helpful! Fixed it. Also fixed the Transwarp Hub hang.

I will try turn 275 again and let you know
Ok, I'll try to check it too if I have the time.

As i remember I had no 3 civs in one battle recently, apart that fleet mixture in the Borg game.
Just noticed that the change I was thinking of wasn't ported to this branch, so nevermind.

As I remember, in the past, the side of the third fleet (friend or enemy) was somehow accidental and I had to attack both fleets, even if I had a war only on one of them. A choice there would be appreciated.
Yea, that's something we still need to address... there's some work already done on that, but hasn't been finished yet.
But you should engage civs you're at war with first, then neutral civs, and friendly civs are never engaged (they're on your side of the battle).

The fleets are more 'heavy' and differentiated, for example Feds had recently more cruisers than destroyers in a fleet of 30 ships.
Yes, each empire has its own fleet configuration, and the Feds do favor Cruisers over Destroyers/Frigates.

I think a come back to one branch is necessary and I do not see any significant disadvantages or mistakes in the experimental approach. I fully support that. The AI is more aggressive, but in a good way.
:up: Yes, in my tests I also reached that conclusion.

Maybe a willing to declare war is too easy, but it might be caused by my difficulty parameter.
That's still a WiP, but in this latest patch it should be less frequent.

BTW - the Dominion still prefers Attack Ships (but with some Battle Ships in the same fleet). Maybe to raise the attack ship class slightly. As I remember it is weaker than frigate, so maybe something about frigate class.
Yes, the Dominion do favor swarms of Attack Ships, complementing their heavier Battle Cruisers and Battleships. But there shouldn't be large discrepancies anymore, like 40:2.
Yesterday I tweaked a few ships, namely the Dominion Attack Ships (only increased their build cost so far). More tweaks to come.

Thanks for the feedback!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch. There won't be different version of patches anymore. From now on, only the experimental AI branch is supported.

Fixed a few things in the starmap fleet icons; there's still an issue in the tooltips.
The usual AI tweaks, some fixes here and there, some data tweaks.

The AI will now offer treaties when appropriate - both minor races and empires will. Those proposals will be sent to both AI and human empires - for now, the human-played empires will use the AI decision making code to accept/reject the proposal, which means the player will not have the ability to decide. Yet.
You probably won't be seeing much of a difference yet, maybe some minors signing an Open Borders treaty with an AI empire. The AI still doesn't offer credits in order to increase Regard, so the higher level treaties (Membership, Affiliation) won't be offered yet - except in a specific situation :grin:
But if the human player sends credits their way, they will offer the treaties eventually (if you don't first).
There's still a few issues that I couldn't figure out yet - when a minor offers to become a member, or an OB treaty, global morale drops a bit, and Regard also drops a bit... :???:
Please report any weird behaviors.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I forgot to undo some test conditions so in the patch the AI will be too eager to offer treaties... it should take more time in the future.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I had not too much time recently, so I used the newest patch to test my Romulans morale again:
Morale.png
Morale.png (28.91 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
No rebellion in any variant. There was no difference between straight subjugation or a subjugation preceded by bombarding.
I had to use one more turn to totally destroy the last Romulan colony, but it does not influence the morale level.

I also got a membership proposal from a minor race once Regard = 614 and Trust = 524, for me it was too early, with too low trust and regard levels.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:37 pm No rebellion in any variant. There was no difference between straight subjugation or a subjugation preceded by bombarding.
If you mean in the same turn (some rounds of bombardment and subjugation in the last round) - at least that's what your image seems to suggest - yes, you don't get both morale bonuses! You only ever get one.

I had to use one more turn to totally destroy the last Romulan colony, but it does not influence the morale level.
Yes, and it shouldn't (apart from the other morale modifiers that your colonies get each turn). As above, you only get one modifier per invasion, this time the EliminateEmpire bonus.

I'll have to check the code, but it seems your Romulan colonies are getting +~25 morale, which they shouldn't... I didn't get that in my limited test. Will have to check. Seems like you're still getting those +50 (on top of the -30).

I also got a membership proposal from a minor race once Regard = 614 and Trust = 524, for me it was too early, with too low trust and regard levels.
Yea, Pacifist and Peaceful minors are like that, they'll throw themselves in your arms right away. :wink: Actually, only if regard is above Neutral, and it should take some turns, but like mentioned above, I forgot to reset those values after testing, and it only hit me the next day...
But other minors and empires might also send proposals, if regard is favorable. With the help of envoys, it is possible for them (especially AI, since they don't offer credits yet) to propose any treaty. War Pacts and Cease-Fires still need to be implemented though.
Some fixes are needed.

We should probably create a new thread to discuss this. The details I mean.
Should it only apply to Pacifists? Should it be at higher regard? Should it depend on traits (Pacifists for Federation, Warlike for Klingons, Deceptive for Cardassians, ...)?
Etc.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Hi, what does exactly such message means?
Screenshot(37).png
Screenshot(37).png (73.25 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Nothing happened apart that message.

BTW - some unimportant details:
- Is it possible to add sector numbers to some messages, for example wormhole sector, once ship is destroyed?
- I would also propose other message then 'troop ship was destroyed' after an assault, for example disembarked or dismantled.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 am Hi, what does exactly such message means?
Nothing happened apart that message.
It means there's a bug somewhere :wink:
Those are factions (from subjugated colonies) that apparently offered membership treaties to their "parent" empires... I could swear that I had excluded factions from proposals... will have to check. Thanks!

BTW - some unimportant details:
- Is it possible to add sector numbers to some messages, for example wormhole sector, once ship is destroyed?
Yes, but is there a specific reason for that? If you double-click on the message itself, the screen will center on the relevant sector. Like with most SitRep messages.

- I would also propose other message then 'troop ship was destroyed' after an assault, for example disembarked or dismantled.
Yes, that's in the ToDo list, but it's not an easy fix.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Reverted the test conditions for AIs offering treaties.
Fixed factions offering treaties.
Fixed the morale in subjugated colonies - no global events now.
Improved the Borg AI code for building TWHs, and fixed an issue.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch available.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I played some turn of my old Borg game, it works - almost - fine. I had reported a loop error in that game, but now it is OK, due to the new patch or I simply broke my clumsiness, it's a chance that there was no error.
Anyway I found something else - in the screenshot below the system population is 265, but I get 135 counting up all planet population. It affect some systems, but not all of them.
Screenshot (38).jpg
Screenshot (38).jpg (563.77 KiB) Viewed 2766 times

Return to “Supremacy”