StarTrek Supremacy (mstrobel)

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

StarTrek Supremacy (mstrobel)

Post by pauluk »

hi, i tried running this after installing .net 3.5, on xp sp2, but had some errors. It made some logfiles but how do i send these to mike in case it helps him poinpoint some bugs?

regards,
paul
Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

head over to the botf2 forums and post those files as attachment into mike's Supremacy download thread.
Last edited by Malvoisin on Sat May 24, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Your link doesn't work, Mal. :lol:

Paul, post about your problems in This Thread.

The thread is currently on page 39 but please don't be daunted by that fact. The most important information is in the very first post of the thread (Which i've linked to) or in the most recent posts only. Simply open your error.txt file and copy-and-paste the info into a new post, or attach the file to a new post.

If you've only just downloaded the game though, please be aware that you also need to install the .Net 3.5 Beta update - which unfortunately weighs in at 229mb. This was a requirement that was added for the most recent update (Which is dated 18th May 2008) and will be required for all future releases, or at least until there is another update for .Net.

Mike updated his version of .Net without realising the impact it would have on the game. Some of his latest updates used programming that was only made available by this update, which is why the update is now required by all users of the game. He wouldn't have made it a requirement if he had known it would mean everyone else would have to download such a hefty update.
:(
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pauluk »

oh ok, thanks for the info.
the .net i installed is 197megs, dotnetfx35.exe (version 3.5.21022.8)

i didn thave an internet connection at the time, but i think the install of .net was trying to access the web?

It still installed and i rebooted, went to ms windows update and it found 1 small patch for .net so i installed it too, but still fails. i'll update the forum over there as this is for general chat :)
pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pauluk »

I dled the newer .net version and will try installing that first.
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

MOE, is there a cheat to speed up the research, I have played it, but with no AI, waiting for research, just to see the different ships gets a bit dull.

Do you know when the AI will be tested with it, as I would be up for testing.
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

AI is a few months down the line sorry. Mike has barely started working on it yet. We'll need all the testers we can get once it's been coded though. It'll take a lot of tweaking to get it working properly.

The only cheat in the game that I know of it F12 to reveal the map. There used to be a research cheat but Mike removed it a long time ago. :(
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Sorry for the double-post, but Mike has posted an update for Supremacy. This new update includes an auto-updater that will download only the updated files, so in future you won't need to download the entire game. You can find this new update in the first post of the Supremacy Pre-release Download Thread Here.

Enjoy. :)

sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

MOE, do you have screen shots of all the new ships?

I have returned
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Yes and no. It depends whether the modellers themselves have made any. Kenneth_of_Borg has been taking care of the models, so if any are below the expected quality he has been fixing them up for us, but I don't believe that many of them actually need to be fixed - we've got some damn good modellers working for us, such as Fireball and Trashman.

Every ship will include as a minimum, a glow map, a normal/bump map, and a specular map. We'll add to that if anyone knows better ways of improving the ships. Obviously it will also be down to what the final combat system will be capable of supporting, but the more the better. :P

Here's some before and after shots of the work so far:

Before:

After

I'll speak to Kenneth and see exactly what images we have available. I *used* to maintain a gallery with all the images but that's fallen out of use now sorry. You can find this gallery Here but I have no idea whether any of the images are still working or have moved. The shiplist itself is also completely out of date. :(

Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

those pics are severely underlighted on my monitor somehow, moe. They weren't when I first saw them posted on the botf2 forums some time ago..
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

I went to the link you gave me, and some of them look fantastic. I can't wait for this to come out.

I have returned
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Those are the EXACT same images as you saw previously Mal - I got the image links from the properties of the images on the forums, so it must be your monitor or something.

I'm pleased if the image links are still working, Sean, but like I said they are old. Some of the models may have changed since the images were made, even if the images are still working.

Malvoisin
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Malvoisin »

Probably my monitor. Had to switch back to my 4 year-old one and it's getting darker on-screen there.. ;)

anyway, brighting it up a little via irfanview auto-correction does make details a bit more prominent as I've tested right now..
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Malvoisin wrote:those pics are severely underlighted on my monitor somehow, moe.
I'm inconsolable, but he seems to have quite. Just tested with two different monitors.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.

Return to “Supremacy”