Star Trek Supremacy...

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

ElimGarak
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Star Trek Supremacy...

Post by ElimGarak »

It's been a long time since I played BotF (3+years), but I had saved my mods to the mods and started up the game again....UDML is awesome, and UM5 seemed all right, even though it crashed on my first fight.

I was wondering what happened to the Supremacy project...I checked the site (http://www.startreksupremacy.com/) and saw no updates after 17May10.

Any news?

I'd like to help, but have no coding experience or any sort of testing knowledge...
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Star Trek Supremacy...

Post by Flocke »

as for Supremacy, latest update you find over here: http://botf2.star-trek-games.com/viewto ... =13&t=4797

help is always welcome, both on Supremacy and BotF modding :)
there are alot things one can do, you just need to take a closer look and watch out for something that meets your interest and skill

welcome back
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Supremacy is still alive, and we're still working on it. Flocke's link is the correct link - just scroll all the way down the page and click the last link in that thread for the latest game version.

If the last version of the game you played is three years old, then there's been several important updates that you've not seen, including animated planetary invasions, working multiplayer, scan ranges, animated popup windows, a turn summary screen, a working intel screen (which basically just functions as an empire overview screen), all empires are now playable, and a lot of new content - building images, ship images, map images, etc. Note that there is still no AI or ship-to-ship combat though, so single-player games are a bit pointless, and multiplayer games can't be "won" since there is no actual combat (but the planetary invasions are cool).
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

The project does look very interesting. I agree that based on the site progress seems to have stalled; no news. It is good to hear things are still being developed.

While I understand it takes time and I am not holding anyone to specific dates is there some sort of general idea when an AI and ship-to-ship combat might be available?
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
SonOfWorf
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SonOfWorf »

Is this dead now? Looks like forums are down.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Nope, Supremacy is not dead. The forums are down, and it's probably permanent, but as long as there is someone working on the game, it'll not die. BitBucket is still being updated somewhat regularly.

TC,can this forum be used to discuss Supremacy development? At least until another solution is implemented. Probably startreksupremacy.com.
SonOfWorf
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SonOfWorf »

Amazing news!!! So glad this is still going strong.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

TC is probably going to create a forum here for Supremacy. Or keep this one. Not sure what's the best approach? In terms of visibility I mean. What would everyone prefer?

Some eye candy for the next release. :grin: No functionality yet though.
Attachments
Wormhole.png
Wormhole.png (239.44 KiB) Viewed 20307 times
SonOfWorf
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by SonOfWorf »

Supremacy should have it's own forum ideally. Just been playing the latest version and it's so much better than BoTF already, it needs as much exposure as possible.

Is there any kind of document or any website that has a fairly comprehensive and detailed list of exactly how it differs from BoTF, improvements, new additions etc? Also, is there any rough idea in terms of when the game will be finalised? Even if this is an incredibly broad estimate.

Thank you
Reginald
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Reginald »

just began a comparison at my own wiki site http://bote2.square7.ch/regwiki/index.p ... Comparison

for Supremacy there's a place to collect info, for write access just contact me wiki-supremacy(at)gmx-topmail.de

@Iceman: Any news from Mike about a new forum at startreksupremacy.com?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

SonOfWorf wrote:Supremacy should have it's own forum ideally.
as long the activity doesn't become too high, I think a shared forum is best so ppl don't need to switch forums to keep updated but immidiately see there's something new for Supremacy (or for BotF). when ppl search via web I'm not so sure they even visit main site of afc so right here is the best place to gain publicity and we all profit from a little more activity on the forums!
ofc some direct link and some info on main site would do well though :)
SonOfWorf wrote:Is there any kind of document or any website that has a fairly comprehensive and detailed list of exactly how it differs from BoTF, improvements, new additions etc?
hmm, not really, best check it out
although reg has a small list for the BotF2 fork of Supremacy in the wiki over here (with main difference of expanding minors for now):
http://botf2.square7.ch/wiki/index.php? ... BOTF_II.29
but I think there's more to it, further it doesn't list all the deficits there are plus some features still require work and bugfixing
SonOfWorf wrote:Also, is there any rough idea in terms of when the game will be finalised? Even if this is an incredibly broad estimate.
No. There can't as it's an ongoing project that has no final set of features nor a publisher demanding a final shipping release.
It's done by fans and they work on it as they find time and mood for it.
The only rough estimate you can do is check the features implemented, check what's missing, check what time already has been invested and how commitment evolved over time.
Now this still depends on what you consider missing and what the developers consider missing and choose to work on.
You simply can't give a true estiamate and so I won't try. I already keep failing with estimates on my own projects.
Take the game as is for now, in MP you already can have alot of fun.
For feature completeness compared to BotF (including diplomacy, espionage, AI,...) at current speed I'd at least expect a few more years but doubt it's going to ever reassamble BotF but rather evolves in it's own direction. :wink:

@reg just had a look at above comparison, adding botf-mpr++ in there makes no sense, it's just a graphical patch ;)
there will come more but that's going to be seperate plugins and patches not bound to mpr++
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

FWIW, AFAICT a good chunk of the framework for diplomacy is already in place, it just isn't hooked into the rest of the game yet - mostly due to missing/incomplete features.
RedAlertChilli
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by RedAlertChilli »

I have been following this project for years and never involved myself with the community. I want to get stuck in and help where i can.

I have decided to build my own website to help promote Star Trek Supremacy. The work done so far is fantastic. I intend to have a phpbb forum installed. If you are looking for a dedicated forum for supremacy i would be delighted to help.

Great to see these forums alive. :grin:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's great!
I have asked Mike about using www.startreksupremacy.com but he hasn't answered yet. The site really needs to be updated, and I'm not sure it'll be any time soon.
I guess that if Thunderchero and cleverwise decide to keep this subforum as part of the BotF forum (and not create a forum for Supremacy), your idea is a good alternative. We'd keep this subforum for progress reports and such.
Any of the options sounds good to me.
Thanks!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Iceman wrote:I have asked Mike about using www.startreksupremacy.com but he hasn't answered yet.
I would like to wait to see what mike has to say, :wink: I don't want to start any thing if he has other plans.

thunderchero

Return to “Supremacy”