Star Trek Supremacy...

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

nightman1701
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Star Trek Supremacy...

Post by nightman1701 »

Thanks Flocke. I always like to learn new things especially when it comes to computers. I was just thinking when I get better at using Unity that perhaps I could work on a combat engine but I see what you are saying. I'm just trying to see how everything works together. How does it work in BOTF? I guess what I mean is it another game engine within BOTF or is it all one thing? I hope that makes sense...LOL.

You guys actually are giving me a reason to start a new hobby and learn programming has I would love to help out on this anyway I can. It would just be cool to help support the Next Generation of a game I spent all my free time playing back in the day. I do love how the game is Progressing though and it would be awesome to get a working combat engine within the game.

Iceman, I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the game I started that a lot of the minor races are all relatively close to one another. They all seem to be running diagonally from each other. I have my Galaxy set has a Large Eliptical. Just wondering if this is normal for all them to be so close to one another.

Thanks again guys
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

In BotF it's just one single engine but with several subcomponents all attached together. So you have a subpart for sound, for videos, for input, for rendering, for combat and I dunno what else components there are. But together it makes one unit and not a complete seperate engine for just the combat.
That's how it's usually done with every game, have it one engine that works for the full game with special subcomponents where needed.

I wish you great success and alot fun in learning to program Unity! I never touched it myself but when you have some general programming questions I'm happy to help.
I'd also happily read on your progress from time to time, doesn't matter on what rate as I know pretty well how time consuming it is to learn all that funky programming stuff. ;)
cian1701
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Star Trek Supremacy... AI NOT WORKING

Post by cian1701 »

Hey Guys,

Big fan of Birth of the Federation and always thought there needs to be sequels to both this game and bridge commander (my two favourite star trek games). Anyways, i downloaded supremacy today, and i was wandering if anyone could help me out. I found the game incredibly easy. I soon discovered that this was because the artificial intelligence controlling the two major species i had met (Klingons and the Cardassians) did not seem to have a working artificial intelligence. They seemed to have no extra buildings over than the ones they had started off with and therefore their populations were rising beyond their ability to provide food and then falling to well below the foods abilities to maintain the population. There were no military vessels other than mine to be seen, and the main policy for all the races i had met seemed to be appeasement.

Anyway, what i am trying to say is i either have an outdated version of the game, or the AI in the game is broke, which is a real bummer for me as i was really looking forward to it. I was wandering if there was a fix for this such as a patch or a line of code i had to change. I'd be willing to download/re-type the fix needed so i can get back to this amazing game you people have created. THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO THE DEVELOPERS AND EVERYONE WHO HAS MADE THIS POSSIBLE, AND THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO HELP!

The Butler, cian1701
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi cian
You probably don't have the latest release, as the AI does build food and industry PFs, and a few ships.
It does not build any Buildings yet, nor does it upgrade PFs.
The latest release is dated 20150106. Check the Downloads section of BitBucket.
Sorry to be so telegraphic, I'm on the tablet. :neutral:
cian1701
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by cian1701 »

Thank you very much. However, i am not quite sure how to do that, nor get the latest update. Perhaps if i could get a set of instructions on how to download it?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

There's a specific thread for the annoucement of new releases, here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3068&start=45

Whenever there's a new release, I post the annoucement there with the link.

Here's the link to the download section of Supremacy on BitBucket:
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy/downloads
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

nightman1701 wrote:You guys actually are giving me a reason to start a new hobby and learn programming has I would love to help out on this anyway I can. It would just be cool to help support the Next Generation of a game I spent all my free time playing back in the day. I do love how the game is Progressing though and it would be awesome to get a working combat engine within the game.
That's great! The more people helping, the faster we'll get the game done.
Iceman, I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the game I started that a lot of the minor races are all relatively close to one another. They all seem to be running diagonally from each other. I have my Galaxy set has a Large Eliptical. Just wondering if this is normal for all them to be so close to one another.
Yep, minors do get spawned too close. I think there's an issue in the tracker already for that (or is it for homesystems in the vicinity of each other?), but can't recall. Sometimes you get 3 or 4 in a small area of space, which is lame.
Stars are generated randomly in the galaxy, and then homesystems are placed on some of those stars. The diagonal placement, although weird, is totally random AFAICT. Some galaxy types might be more prone to this than others, I guess.
c_frei
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by c_frei »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote:Here's an idea: Use Star Trek Armada II or something ;)

A game (RTS) within a game (Turn-based 4X)...
Funny, I've been thiking about how awesome it would be if there was a way to combine BotF and Armada, having the classic turn based empire management component in one hand and the real time strategy combat from Armada in the other.

Anyway, just stopped by to say I've been waiting for this game since around 2005 (created a new account because I forgot my login info from my previous one :razz: ), and I'm still excited with the progress I've seen so far. Please keep it up guys!

Return to “Supremacy”