Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Intelligence screen

Post by Iceman »

What do you guys think ?
- only insignia and tooltip (no empire name)
- only insignia and empire name (no tooltip)
- all 3 (though kind of redundant)
Attachments
intel.png
intel.png (382.49 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Martok »

I'd say that if you have both the insignia and empire name, then the tool-tips are unnecessary.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Martok wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm I'd say that if you have both the insignia and empire name, then the tool-tips are unnecessary.
Hey Martok!
Thanks for the input. But what do you think it's best? Just the tooltip OR just the name below the insignia?
The insignia will be kept regardless.
I think I'd lean towards the insignia and the tooltip, as players will most likely recognize the insignias (even players not familiar with Star Trek should recognize them shortly), making the names redundant.
But we can keep the names too if it's found to be the best.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Some tweaks, example from geordie's game.
Still need to hook in those missing values.

This can be handy to spot weaknesses in the AI (incomplete as it currently is) - it seems it is not handling Morale very well/efficiently.
Attachments
intel.png
intel.png (374.04 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Martok wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm I'd say that if you have both the insignia and empire name, then the tool-tips are unnecessary.
I agree, tool-tips are kinda trash to me, with insignia and name it looks more stable and clean.
Impress the Empress.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

The last question - I would say: the insignia and the tooltip (for so many new players in the near future), just like in the main screen.Please add a line about number of minor race members.

A science level comparison is important to me, because I assume that an imperium the most advanced in science should win. But I would not reveal too much information, so maybe only a place in this ranking among empires would be sufficient.

I think the empire name takes unnecessary place on the screen.

I would be happy having a way to sort or filter data on the colonies screen, like showing only Romulan subjugated systems etc.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The last question - I would say: the insignia and the tooltip (for so many new players in the near future), just like in the main screen.Please add a line about number of minor race members.
Yes, consistency with the main screen is nice.
And yes, I'm going to include number of minor races like in BotF.
Not sure if science makes much sense / is very useful though.

This is not the final version of this screen, it's just a temporary "cheat" (for now) to keep track of the AIs' progress.

Forgot to mention, but the empire name was there for a reason, it was a hyperlink to the homesystem's sector. Instead of the empire name, it now shows the homesystem's name - problem solved! :cool:
Added the relationship status (color-coded), and a tooltip with the average morale value.
Tweaked the total score formula, science score was almost irrelevant.
Attachments
intel.png
intel.png (404.88 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Iceman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pmthe empire name was there for a reason, it was a hyperlink to the homesystem's sector. Instead of the empire name, it now shows the homesystem's name
You give away far more confidential details on first contact than BotF. Not sure the dominion, romulan and cardassian internal security will approve. You might even risk re-education or labor camp....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

LOL

Like I said before, this is just a temporary implementation. We should discuss if we want to have this screen show the same stuff as in BotF and in the same way, or if there is stuff that can be improved / is more useful.
The data you're seeing will be filtered out - in this game I haven't yet met the Romulans, and only have indirect knowledge of the Cardassians (through my NAP with the Klingons, which have already met them).

Some of those parameters should probably also be filtered according to things like relationship status, intel level, espionage and sabotage events, etc.

Is there a thread that explains exactly (operative word) how Intelligence works in BotF? I think I have a link somewhere to a thread about Intel, but I'm not sure it is completely thorough (enough to be used to implement it in Supremacy).

edit:
this is the one I mentioned
viewtopic.php?f=225&t=2311
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

No, the different department events (and random selection thereof) were never analysed/listed in detail.

And the empire status intel screen percentage is somewhat bugged (IIRC). After first contact (and some espionage events) some data is marked as updated for three turns (IIRC) then the colour changes indicating it's old data. But e.g. number of enemy systems & dil systems is always updated. (rumors tell the responsible programmer had a fatal accident in labor camp...)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:cry:

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:39 pm
Iceman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:33 pmthe empire name was there for a reason, it was a hyperlink to the homesystem's sector. Instead of the empire name, it now shows the homesystem's name
You give away far more confidential details on first contact than BotF. Not sure the dominion, romulan and cardassian internal security will approve. You might even risk re-education or labor camp....
The hyperlink should only work when that homesystem has been explored by the civ.

(split these posts into a new thread, to keep the discussion focused)

Return to “Supremacy”