Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Hebrewhammer
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Hebrewhammer »

It was the newest patch as of a couple days ago and I saw the note about the non map editor saves wouldn't work. I merely deleted my old saves and started new games with the most recent patch installed and after I saved them I could not see them on the list to load them. Perhaps I missed something when patching the game and should try to repatch it.
Hebrewhammer
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Quick update, saw that there was an April 6 patch released, I updated to that patch and can now save and load my games. However it still wont see the games from the map editor update, it just means I'll start another campaign.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

IMPORTANT:

There are 2 different "branches" of the patches. Saved games are NOT compatible among them, hence the different names!
If you have saved games started with an older patch which you want to finish, do not use the Map Editor version. If not, use the Map Editor version, which will be the standard version in the future (non-ME patches are only for supporting current games).

patch_20220327.zip and patch_20220330_MapEditor.zip are the same patch
patch_20220406.zip and patch_20220405_MapEditor.zip are the same patch, more recent versions

I'm about to upload a new patch for the Map Editor branch, with some fixes and improvements.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Warp Core Breach wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 pm Weird. Looks like all VC are selected by default. However, it explains why I never got to see that screen.
I'll look into that soon. Tomorrow I'll have more free time, work has been ectic this week.

As for the text, how about:
Thanks! :up:

I assume if the player chooses "No", they're brought to the Main Menu.
Yep. I think that's what makes sense, correct?

Nice image for this screen!
:grin: If there's a better one, it can be changed though. I couldn't find one without any characters/people.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Two conclusions from my last games:
- In an advance game / huge galaxy a war means quite often for fleets to operate deep in subjugated territory. It also means that new constructed troop ships have to be delivered to next enemy systems in 15 or more turns (directly from native systems). So I would propose to increase troop ship mark III speed to 3 sectors per turn or to consider that all military minor races could construct troop ships.
- it looks that recently other empires are more willing to declare war, but they behave like not prepared for that. I would propose that a war declared by AI would be supported by a direct attack on 2-3 systems.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch, non-MapEditor version.
A testbed for some changes to how Elliptical and Cluster galaxies are generated. And fix/improvement to the Bajoran Wormhole generation, in non-canon homequadrants maps.
Ellipticals should be more canon homequadrants - friendly, and Clusters should have less of a chance of shafting some empires by generating more clusters.
If feedback is positive, I'll port these changes to the ME version.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:25 am Two conclusions from my last games:
- In an advance game / huge galaxy a war means quite often for fleets to operate deep in subjugated territory. It also means that new constructed troop ships have to be delivered to next enemy systems in 15 or more turns (directly from native systems). So I would propose to increase troop ship mark III speed to 3 sectors per turn or to consider that all military minor races could construct troop ships.
Can that speed increase have a negative impact on Sophisticated+ games?
Having more minors with TTs is something that can be looked into.

- it looks that recently other empires are more willing to declare war, but they behave like not prepared for that. I would propose that a war declared by AI would be supported by a direct attack on 2-3 systems.
Yes, the AI needs at least to have a decent navy in order to declare war. And empires need to behave more like Warlike minors in that they only declare when ready to strike.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

A testbed for some changes to how Elliptical and Cluster galaxies are generated. And fix/improvement to the Bajoran Wormhole generation, in non-canon homequadrants maps.
Ellipticals should be more canon homequadrants - friendly, and Clusters should have less of a chance of shafting some empires by generating more clusters.
If feedback is positive, I'll port these changes to the ME version.
As my games in huge galaxies last quite long I only generated some Elliptical and Cluster maps and used F12 and for me the map generation looks good, but with one exception - for me the stars in elliptical galaxies are placed too dense - could you extend the maps as much as possible to the right/left and up/down sides, of course keeping the elliptical shape?
Definitely canon elliptical galaxies are more canonical, but I got once the Sol system just in the edge of the galaxy.

I generated 6 elliptical and 6 cluster galaxies, both canon and random and... I got no singel Bajor system near any wormhole in the 12 galaxies - could you check that, please? I assume it should be hardly possible. The Barzan system was placed near a wormhole in about 1/3 of the maps.

BTW - game icon was lost in the last patch :(.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:50 am As my games in huge galaxies last quite long I only generated some Elliptical and Cluster maps and used F12 and for me the map generation looks good, but with one exception - for me the stars in elliptical galaxies are placed too dense - could you extend the maps as much as possible to the right/left and up/down sides, of course keeping the elliptical shape?
The density might be due to the game trying to place the same amount of stars in a smaller area (the corners being empty). Did you notice something similar in Ring and Spiral galaxies? I haven't touched those, but they also have smaller areas - will have to check how they're generated.
I did extend the area a bit more, not sure I can extend it more without turning them into Spherical galaxies :wink: I'll check that again. I'll try to look into decreasing the number of stars.
In the attached pic, Huge elliptical, there are 6~8 empty sectors in the top/bottom, and 1~2 on the left/right. There isn't much room to extend it much more.

Definitely canon elliptical galaxies are more canonical, but I got once the Sol system just in the edge of the galaxy.
Homesystem placement is completely random, the only canon factor is the quadrant where they're spawned. If placement is too specific, it reduces replayability / increases predictability.

The issue with Ellipticals was that they were created with a randomized tilt angle, which would create large imbalances in quadrant (effective) sizes - a rather small AQ (for 2 empires) and a much larger BQ and GQ, which [with canon HQs] would give an enormous advantage to the Dominion, and shaft the Feds and Cards. So I just removed the tilt, and made them always "horizontal" ellipses (at some point I considered randomizing it between horizontal and vertical only).

I generated 6 elliptical and 6 cluster galaxies, both canon and random and... I got no singel Bajor system near any wormhole in the 12 galaxies - could you check that, please? I assume it should be hardly possible.
You mean you never got Bajor, period, or you got Bajor but no WH in the vicinity? The former is highly unlikely but possible, the latter would definitely mean something is wrong. It is also important to note how the Homequadrants option is set.
If not playing with Canon homequadrants, an unstable WH will be picked as the endpoint for the Bajor WH; if none is available, then the Bajoran WH will become an unstable WH (no endpoint). That's how it should anyways.
With Canon homequadrants, the endpoint is always in the Gamma quadrant.

The Barzan system was placed near a wormhole in about 1/3 of the maps.
But every time Barzan was spawned, it got an adjacent WH, correct?

BTW - game icon was lost in the last patch :(.
Do you mean the icon for the exe? It seems to be ok for me.
Attachments
elliptical.png
elliptical.png (662.33 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

There isn't much room to extend it much more.
I meant to have exactly only corners empty
You mean you never got Bajor, period, or you got Bajor but no WH in the vicinity?
I was not able to check all the stars, but definitely i have been checking all wormhole entries on 12 maps and there was no Bajor in the close vicinity of wormholes. Barzan system was always in a correct place, one sector from a wormhole.
Do you mean the icon for the exe? It seems to be ok for me.
I meant an icon for exe shortcuts.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:25 am I meant to have exactly only corners empty
But that's a circle. :wink: Which technically is an ellipse, yes. But it wouldn't "feel" right I think.

I was not able to check all the stars, but definitely i have been checking all wormhole entries on 12 maps and there was no Bajor in the close vicinity of wormholes.
I managed to test this and Bajor had a stable WH. I fixed a potential crash related to this.

I meant an icon for exe shortcuts.
I can't reproduce this. :???:

New patch.
Reduced number of star systems in Elliptical, Spiral and Ring galaxies to 60% their previous values. Feedback is welcome, to see if further tweaking is needed. I only tested with Huge galaxies and all 3 System Density settings, testing it for all galaxy sizes would be great.
Thanks!
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I can't reproduce this. :???:
Maybe it was something with my patch download. The yesterday one is OK.

I have created another 15 games. Huge maps, all type of galaxies and Bajor appeared only two times, but properly placed near a wormhole.
Satan82645
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Satan82645 »

Good day gentlemen,

I return to this game after a looooong time but i was worried when i am in game i am unable to see the planets inside the system. I am only able to see them once they are colonized and/or taken by other means.

This might be due to two reasons:
1;i am indeed a giant returning noob and i cant see it for... reasons
2; there is some kind of a glitch or error.

Which it might be, please kind gentlemen?

Thanks,

Stanislav
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Satan82645 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:46 am Good day gentlemen,

I return to this game after a looooong time but i was worried when i am in game i am unable to see the planets inside the system. I am only able to see them once they are colonized and/or taken by other means.

This might be due to two reasons:
1;i am indeed a giant returning noob and i cant see it for... reasons
2; there is some kind of a glitch or error.

Which it might be, please kind gentlemen?

Thanks,

Stanislav
Hi Stanislav,
Generally, you have to visit given system to see its planets. If it is not the case, could you maybe post a screenshot to show your problem?
Satan82645
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Satan82645 »

Good day,

Thank you for your quick repply. Unfortunatelly i wasnt able to see even the home system.

When i restarted the game, problem.fixed itself so maybe it was a glitch when i was opening other windows whilenthe program was running.

Therefore,

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Stanislav.

Return to “Supremacy”