Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

mooshuo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm Suggestions:

- The UI sounds are extremely loud compared to the sound effects/music and there is no way to adjust its volume. In fact I have to turn my sound to literally 1 on the desktop to avoid getting my ears blasted by "Aye, sir!" Can you lower the volume please or provide a volume adjust for UI sounds?
Yep, we still need to get the SoundFX volume control to work... it´s in the todo list.
If there´s someone willing to help with going through all those sound files and adjust their volumes, that would be awesome. I tried to have them all more or less leveled, but it´s too time consuming, and there is still alot to do in other fronts :sad:
- On the topic of UI sounds, is it possible to add some of the clicking sounds for selecting ships/scrapping/etc from the original BoTF?
If you can make me a list of those sounds with their file name / number in BotF, yes, sure. There are just too many sounds, and it would take too much time for me to go through them all.
- On the technology screen, would it be possible to show all possible structures/ships regardless if you have unlocked it or not in the Encyclopedia? Even at "Supreme" tech level 10, you need to actually play the game to see the final ships for level 11-12. BoTF had all structures/ships shown and those that are unavailable are marked red and says "Unavailable". Can you do something similar?
The research matrix does show you which items are unlocked for each research area, but yeah, you cannot see the actual item or its stats. I will see what I can do.
- The "Credits Per Turn" adjusting for one-time purchases is confusing. It's hard to tell how much credits I am making per turn. I have to not buy anything a turn for it to show the true "credits per turn". Would it be possible to adjust it so that purchases on a turn do not affect the "Credits Per Turn" actual income.
Yes, I know what you mean. Bloodwurm implemented it that way for some reason, which I can´t recall. I will look into it.
In the previous BoTF I used this knowledge to find out if I am losing money through ship maintenance costs. The Empire's total population is used to defray the cost; if ship maintenance exceeds an empire's total population, then the cost is removed from your income (speaking of which, is the ship maintenance cost function the same in Supremacy?"). I keep fleet levels just under max population for max income + military strength.
Yep, Supremacy handles it the exact same way. Even the modifiers (which you can mod) are the same. :up:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

mooshuo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm
Finally, these final notes is more trivial and canon-related:

- The diplomacy messages (war, membership, etc.) are kind of oddly worded, very short and clunky. The original BoTF had pretty well worded diplomacy messages with three tones even. You can straight hijack the words for the major empires (except the Dominion). Minor races messages from BoTF are generic and exactly the same for every race (except for a few exceptions). If you really want to get a canon-feel, I suggest watching all the episodes related to a minor race (i.e the Edo - TNG Coming of Age", etc.) for how they talk and greet Starfleet personnel. Actually I can do it for you if you like! I'm sort of an amateur writer.
That would be awesome!! The project is always in need of good writers. Many of those texts are placeholders, waiting for you to come along :lol:
All the texts are editable, you can find them here:
Resources\Data
Resources\Strings
Resources\Text
You can make any changes you deem appropriate, and then send them to me.
BTW, there is a Tone setting for diplo texts, it´s just not implemented yet. We only have the Calm version right now. Feel free to write all the other versions.
If you need help with the files, LMK please.

I just checked the code, and Supremacy has the following Tones:
Calm,
Meek,
Condescending,
Indignant,
Impatient,
Annoyed,
Enraged,
Receptive,
Enthusiastic
Obviously, this is nuts! 3 as in BotF should be enough. I will let you decide :wink:
- The Cruiser I for the Cardassians is listed as a "Kraxxon"-(class) ship. From what I remember and searched, there is no Kraxon-class ship except a named ship called CDS Kraxon and that ship was a Galor-class (in Deep Space Nine episode "Defiant").
Yep. Some of the ship lists were lacking canon designs for some of the classes, so some creativity was used I guess to fill those slots. :wink:
The Cardassians and the Dominion in particular kind of had to have some of that creativity in other places too, like Agents.
- The Klingon Empire racial leader portrait on the Empire selection screen I think would best represented by Gowron instead of the Kahless emperor clone. He's just a figurehead and does not have actual government power whereas Gowron holds the real power (as stated in the TNG episode "Rightful Heir"). Also Gowron appeared in several TNG/DS9 episodes compared to the Kahless clone who only appeared in one. As for the Dominion, while the Founders/Changlings are the true leaders, most of the day-to-day business of managing the Dominion is handled by the Vorta. Also the Founders are not sent often by members of the Dominion and outside of it even less so. Vortas are more "public" and often times give out speeches on behalf of the Founders. I feel Weyoun would be perfect. All the other leaders are spot on though (maybe switch out the random no-name Fed President with Jonathan Archer as he is more well known and shown in more episodes).
The racial leader portrait is meant to be exactly that, the figurehead for the civilization.
The portrait of Kahless also looks more like a statesperson than Gowron's, and Gowron is just cooler as an Agent than as the "representative" of the empire. I want him commanding one of my fleets! :twisted:
As for the Dominion, the Vorta are used as Agents, which include diplomatic envoys, and eventually spies and saboteurs and whatnot.
Weyoun and Archer are Agents, it would just not feel right, like with Gowron.
Thanks again for reading this. I hope you continue to work towards completing this project.

Once again, awesome game.

Cheers,
Mooshuo
Thank you for providing feedback and wanting to help!
That is extremely important for the project to move along, albeit at a slower than desirable rate.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

BTW, trade routes can now only be set if the target colony's sector has been explored. And envoys can also be assigned if the other civ's homesystem has been explored.
Also thinking of adding another restriction to both of these related to max distance, something like max range of current ships plus Propulasion tech level, or something.
What do you guys think?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey mooshuo, the encyclopedia issue is done. :up:
The Credits issue, I'm not sure it's possible/easy... :sad:
Attachments
encyclopedia.jpg
encyclopedia.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I'm wondering if it makes sense to have the Description of civs in the Encyclopedia - being that the Encyclopedia is in the *Science* Screen...
And now we have *all* tech items be shown in the Encyclopedia, but only the civs you have contact with...
We already have the DiplomacyReport text in the Diplomacy Screen, which should have about the same function as the Description. And thre will be a new greeting text.

Just wondering if it's not too many texts per civ... ?!

The only truly distinguishing thing I see for the Description text in the Encyclopedia is the Vorta and the Jem'Hadar as part of the Dominion.

Thoughts?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

mooshuo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:24 pm - The UI sounds are extremely loud compared to the sound effects/music and there is no way to adjust its volume. In fact I have to turn my sound to literally 1 on the desktop to avoid getting my ears blasted by "Aye, sir!" Can you lower the volume please or provide a volume adjust for UI sounds?
BTW, you can rename the soundfx files if you do not wish them to be played, until the issue is addressed. The game will not crash.
- On the topic of UI sounds, is it possible to add some of the clicking sounds for selecting ships/scrapping/etc from the original BoTF?
There are already some sound files in the build that are not yet being used (scrap, upgrade, terraform, ...).
I'm thinking of uploading a new build on friday, if possible I'll try to code some of those in.
- The Cruiser I for the Cardassians is listed as a "Kraxxon"-(class) ship. From what I remember and searched, there is no Kraxon-class ship except a named ship called CDS Kraxon and that ship was a Galor-class (in Deep Space Nine episode "Defiant").
Danijel is working on improving the current models (the ones that will be in the friday release). If this release will be great, the next one will be awesome!
There will likely be some changes to the shiplists. This issue is surely one that will be addressed. Danijel is already on top of it ;) Right now he is working on some fabulous Dominion models!
:up:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

A new release has been uploaded to BB. Go get it!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

There might be a bug with setting up trade routes from native colonies, probably caused by the first of the 2 following changes to how TRs work:

- Non-native colonies (member, subjugated) will now not create any trade routes by default (based on population). Only Buildings with the +TradeRoutes bonus will allow creating trade routes originating from those colonies.

- Trade routes can now only be set if the target colony's sector has been explored.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

In this new build, the game might hang at some point. This issue is related to the AI upgrading their orbital batteries.
I have uploaded a fix. The fix disabled AI envoys (which I'll enable asap) and AI OB construction (which I'll try to fix).
I'll upload a new fix when these issues have been fixed.

This fix also introduces an expanded SitRep for system assaults, stating number of destroyed ships, batteries and structures.
Eventually I'll improve this SitRep, splitting the individual reports and filtering them out when not applicable. And adding more info.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

A new fix is up.
It fixes the AI OB upgrade hang, re-introduces AI envoys, fixes a combat bug with the previous fixes, and adds a limitation to trade routes in that you now can only create *one* TR to a given colony from your own colonies (ie, you cannot have several of your colonies trading with the same minor race homesystem for example).

I'll probably re-upload the entire thing if the fix is working.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fixed the game hanging during combat when a station is involved; found and fixed a bug with stations targeting ships (they'd always miss).

Started working on making unmanned Production Facilities have a maintenance cost (instead of having all PFs have reduced efficiency when total > manned ; that was planned, but not implemented yet).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fixed an issue with fleet names when cloaked.
Unmanned PFs now cost 1 credit each in upkeep.

Uploaded a new build, with all the changes.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Had to take down the previous build (20180605), and upload a new one (20180607), because I had only updated the Resources, and forgotten to copy the code... duh!

To those who had already downloaded it, sorry! There's been a lot going on at work...
Anyway, I hope this time is for real :D
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

In the current build, stations cannot be destroyed due to a bug I introduced when trying to streamline combat. I've fixed that bug.
I also fixed the bug where shields do not regenerate in combat.
And split the system assault results sitrep, and filtered out the results that are not applicable.
Also fixed a possible crash when assigning trade routes.
Removed Entrenchment.
few minor tweaks.

Currently working on morale from combat, and wormhole improvements.
theshens
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by theshens »

Thanks for all of the updates, Iceman!

Return to “Supremacy”