Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Experiences...

Post by USS Defiant »

Hello! :)

Just found this game after searching for a BOTF part 2. Downloaded the last two versions ( 20190726 and 20190909 ). 0726 doesn't start at all on my laptop. But I was able to start 0909.
First thing is: The error log does not work. When starting the game I get the message: "The error log could not be created. You may still run the game. but error details connot be logged."
Second thing is: Played the game for about 70 turns until it crashed. I sent 2 ambassadors to other species during that turn and the turn before. That was the only thing I did different comparing to all other turns before. Don't know if this information helps...
After crashing I tried to get back into the game and to load the auto-save. But unfortunately the game crashes again when I use the "load savegame button". The same happens when I try to use the "save game button". I get the message "An unhandied exception has occured. Detailed error information is available in the "Error.txt" file." for 15 times or something before the game finally crashes.
Unfortunately the error.txt is empty due to the first thing I mentioned.
My OS is Windows 10 64-bit. Is there anybody who has an idea how to fix that savegame problem? I can't play or test the game when I can't save games or load them.
And sorry for my English. Not my native language. :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

Hi USS Defiant, welcome to the forums!
Glad you found the game, shame you bumped into some problems when trying it for the first time...

Not that it matters much but I'm curious as to why you couldn't start 20190726. Could it be that you don't have some of the pre-reqs?
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3366
I disabled the .NET3.5 SP1 check between those 2 versions, that's the only thing I recall having changed that could have something to do with your problem.

As for your first issue, could it be some kind of permissions problem? Related to where you "installed" (are running) the game on your PC.
The 2nd issue, can you post a savegame here? So I can check what is the cause of the crash? Thx.

Notice that Win10 causes a few issues in the game
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613

Can you try CTL+S in the galaxy screen to bring up the save game menu and see if you can save it from there? Try the workarounds in the link above, the ones related to saving the game, and see how it goes.

LMK how it goes please.
USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant »

Hi Iceman!

Regarding 20190726: I checked the pre-reqs.

My desktop resolution: 1920 * 1080
DirectX version: DirectX 12
graphics: Intel(R) HD graphics ( driver version: 20. 19. 15. 5070 / 2018.12.27 ) That's all I know. Don't really know if it supports Pixel Shader 2.0+ and Vertex Shader 1.1+. But I guess so cause my laptop isn't very old.
Microsoft DirectX Runtime, Microsoft XNA Framework 3.1 Redistributable and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1+ are installed.
Additional information:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3710 @ 1.60 GHz ( 4 CPUs ) 1.6 GHz; memory 8192MB RAM

I did not check Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 because the forum says they are no longer needed for versions after 20190517.
What happens when I start 0726: The picture "Supremacy - Birth of the federation 2" shows up for about 2 seconds. After that it disappears and nothing further happens. The game just does not start.

Regarding 20190909 installtion and missing error log:
I had some problems to "install" the game because there is no installer and also no instruction what to do. ( Or I just did not find the instructions... ). What I have done was:
- Downloading 0909 from the link in this topic.
- Creating a folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Supremacy\SupremacyTest_20190909"
- Copying ZIP archive to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Supremacy" and extracting it to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Supremacy\SupremacyTest_20190909"
- Starting the game
I used WinRar and did it the same way with 0726. 0909 works and 0726 doesn't as mentioned above.
You mentioned a possible kind of permission problem related to where I have installed the game on my PC. Is this folder not okay? Could it be the reason why no error log can be created? Is there a folder you can recommend me to use?

Regarding 20190909 save game and load game crashes:
Unfortunately I can't post a savegame here. First reason is: I do not know the folder the game uses to save the games. But I am pretty sure you can tell me. :) Second reason is: I just did not save a single time while playing and relied on the auto-save function. But if I had tried to save the game it wouldn't have worked for me anyways. I was thinking over of sending you the auto-save savegame but as far as I know the game saves every turn. So the savegame must already have been gone because I started a new game and made a turn to figure out what happens when I use ctrl+s as suggested in the "Known Win10 problems" topic. But none of the suggestions work for me or deal with my problem. Ctrl+s also crashes the game in the same way like using the button in the menu does. All I can give you are three screenshots I made to show you what it exactly looks like. I'll attach them here.

So long! Have a good one!
Attachments
Error using save button in menu.jpg
Error using save button in menu.jpg (142.49 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Error using load button in menu.jpg
Error using load button in menu.jpg (145.9 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Error using ctrl+s on galaxy map.jpg
Error using ctrl+s on galaxy map.jpg (209.57 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The game is still in alpha, there is no installer yet. The releases are simple zip files, all you have to do is unzip them - like you did :wink:

I have the game in my Documents folder, and have had no such problems, ever. You could try unzipping the game to another drive, or to your Documents folder, and see what happens.

The savegames are now in an easily accessible folder, called Saved Games right on the game's main folder :wink: it is only created once you run the game for the first time though.
There is another folder called Logs, where you should have some text files. Those logs can be useful to determine the source of the crash.

Relying on the autosave is not a very good move right now, as it does not store diplomatic proposals you have already sent - not sure why, needs to be fixed. Unless you have not sent any diplo proposals ofc.
USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant »

Hi Iceman!

Good news! Using the documents folder works. None of the errors I mentioned in my postings occures. The game also created a Saved Games folder. Seems I am ready to go now and it was all about the folder I used.
And of course relying on the autosave is never a smart move. You're completely right! Will try to save more often.

Thanks for your help man! And let me say to everybody who is working on this project: You guys are awesome. BOTF deserves a part 2 so much! It was so much fun playing it. But it was sad not to be able to finish longer games due to the memory problems that game has. You know when turns start to take minutes and scrolling the map started beeing impossible.

If there will be any further crashes or issues I'll let you know. So long!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:up:

Great, hope you have a lot of fun playing the game! That's all we want.
Notice that the AI is still a WiP, it won't put up much of a fight. But building up your empire is fun.

The autosave issue needs to be fixed, and when it is, using it should be safe.

Glad I could help. I should probably do something to warn people about the Documents folder thing. Creating a thread just for that seems kind of silly though? Installation instruction maybe - then again, it's just unzipping the file...

Yes, please, report any problems you have. And any other feedback you might have. Right now we're trying to make research speed more interesting in another thread, in response to player feedback.

Take care, and thanks!
USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant »

Game crashed after ending a turn...
Attachments
Error.txt
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Björn 3.sav
(636.4 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's a known crash, that hasn't been addressed yet. :sad:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fortunately, that crash will not persist if you load the savegame, so you can continue your game.

BTW, how did you find the current pace / research speed in the game? We're trying to get it to be more interesting, a discussion is ongoing here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3835&start=60

Your input would be helpful.
With the stock 20190909 you're at TL8 @turn 220. Agent spawn rate seemed ok'ish, I guess?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Uploaded a new patch. Reinstated the AI building and upgrading OBs, and made another attempt at fixing the indexing issue. Feedback appreciated.

All tech levels now increased, survey generates random RPs.
USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant »

Iceman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm Fortunately, that crash will not persist if you load the savegame, so you can continue your game.
Right! I am at turn 270 or something now.

Iceman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm BTW, how did you find the current pace / research speed in the game? We're trying to get it to be more interesting, a discussion is ongoing here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3835&start=60
Red some of the postings. I don't think I can add a lot at this point. I do not really focus on research atm. I also never focused on research in BOTF. Never changed settings there. Instead I worked with what the game gave me.
What I can say is: I really like the surveyors. You have talked about them in the other thread. My first thoughts are that they are not "overpowered" during the early turns or tech levels. It is just logical that a race that just started travelling through space will learn a lot by surveying what ever they find in space. But I also agree that it is illogical that a surveyor gives you the same knowledge every turn for as many turns as they survey the same nebula or wormhole. Making it random RP's does change how a surveyor works but it still is illogical.
My idea of a solution: Let's imagine one surveys a wormhole. Isn't it possible to set a limit of RP one can get from that specific wormhole? Let's say the wormhole gives you 100 RP overall. First turn brings you 20 RP. Second turn brings you 10 RP. Third turn brings you 5 RP. And so on until one reached 100 RP from that spcific wormhole. After that one knows everything about this wormhole and can't get any new information from it. That means he has to search for another wormhole and can't "park" a surveyor for 100+ rounds at the same wormhole. I would also suggest that the second wormhole doesn't give you 100 RP. It should give less. Imagine you are surveying a butterfly. You learn that they have 6 legs. This is an information you only get ONCE. Surveying other kinds of butterflies will also give you that inforamtion but it is useless for you cause you already know this from the first butterfly you have surveyed. You know what I mean? Same with wormholes... After surveying for example 10 of them you should know everything about wormholes and shouldn't get any new RP from surveying 'em. But instead you should get a kind of permanent tech bonus or a new building ( e.g. transwarp center? ) as an award for surveying 10 wormholes.
Pls don't quote me on the numbers. They are just to show my idea and not a real suggestion. I am not deep enough into the game to say which numbers really make sense and are ballenced. What are your thoughts about it?

Iceman wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:39 pm Your input would be helpful.
With the stock 20190909 you're at TL8 @turn 220. Agent spawn rate seemed ok'ish, I guess?
Agent spawn rate: I am not really sure what you mean by agents? But I guess you mean the characters that spawn and can be sent to other races to serve as an ambassador. If so I think the spawn rate is okay. Just the moment they spawn seems a bit random. It happened to me that I had more agents available than options to use them. Then they retire I meet three new races and have no agent available. I also wonder why some of them have skills like "combat" or why Tasha Yar should be able to serve as an ambassador. Or Worf... Or Cpt. Jericho... Can I also use them in combat? I mean can I make Cpt. Picard the captain of one of my fleets? Otherwise this combat skill doesn't make sense to me.

Two general things that might allready are known:
- When sending a diplomatic message to another race the "send" button usually is greyed out. Workaround: Set up message, click on "inbox", click back to "outbox" and the "send" button is no longer greyed out.
- I do not find a possibility to release single ships from a fleet. I can combine single ships to a fleet by using drag and drop. But how do I release a ship from a fleet?

So long! Take care everyone!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

USS Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:23 pm What I can say is: I really like the surveyors. You have talked about them in the other thread. My first thoughts are that they are not "overpowered" during the early turns or tech levels. It is just logical that a race that just started travelling through space will learn a lot by surveying what ever they find in space. But I also agree that it is illogical that a surveyor gives you the same knowledge every turn for as many turns as they survey the same nebula or wormhole. Making it random RP's does change how a surveyor works but it still is illogical.
Yes, they are supposed to give you a powerful boost. It is not supposed to be a persistent thing though, I just haven't properly addressed it yet, as it is some sensitive code, and with a drawback.
The random RPs solution is a temporary one, until the issue is dealt with properly. I'm considering a couple of ideas about how to implement this without being too cumbersome code-wise. One of them involves you only being able to survey each anomaly once - simpler, but not the most interesting one.
My idea of a solution: Let's imagine one surveys a wormhole. Isn't it possible to set a limit of RP one can get from that specific wormhole? Let's say the wormhole gives you 100 RP overall. First turn brings you 20 RP. Second turn brings you 10 RP. Third turn brings you 5 RP. And so on until one reached 100 RP from that spcific wormhole. After that one knows everything about this wormhole and can't get any new information from it. That means he has to search for another wormhole and can't "park" a surveyor for 100+ rounds at the same wormhole. I would also suggest that the second wormhole doesn't give you 100 RP. It should give less. Imagine you are surveying a butterfly. You learn that they have 6 legs. This is an information you only get ONCE. Surveying other kinds of butterflies will also give you that inforamtion but it is useless for you cause you already know this from the first butterfly you have surveyed. You know what I mean? Same with wormholes... After surveying for example 10 of them you should know everything about wormholes and shouldn't get any new RP from surveying 'em. But instead you should get a kind of permanent tech bonus or a new building ( e.g. transwarp center? ) as an award for surveying 10 wormholes.
Pls don't quote me on the numbers. They are just to show my idea and not a real suggestion. I am not deep enough into the game to say which numbers really make sense and are ballenced. What are your thoughts about it?
Actually, that's the original design for it. Each anomaly type is worth a certain number of RPs, and you can "collect" those RPs until it is exhausted. The decreasing collection rate is interesting, and the "diminishing returns" too.
It's a more interesting solution, no doubt about it.
Agent spawn rate: I am not really sure what you mean by agents? But I guess you mean the characters that spawn and can be sent to other races to serve as an ambassador. If so I think the spawn rate is okay. Just the moment they spawn seems a bit random. It happened to me that I had more agents available than options to use them. Then they retire I meet three new races and have no agent available. I also wonder why some of them have skills like "combat" or why Tasha Yar should be able to serve as an ambassador. Or Worf... Or Cpt. Jericho... Can I also use them in combat? I mean can I make Cpt. Picard the captain of one of my fleets? Otherwise this combat skill doesn't make sense to me.
It is random :wink:
Right now you can only assign them as envoys, but eventually you'll be able to attach them to fleets as officers, providing bonuses, or place them in colonies where you want them to conduct sabotage or espionage missions. I'm working a bit on the Intel screen.
Tasha and Worf will probably not have any (or much) of an effect when assigned as envoys - as officers though, they sure will. Combat for instance will influence the role of officer, but not envoy, and only marginally operative. The skills of the agents are tailored for a specific role, though they have a 3rd skill that is entirely random - which might make them actually have a marginal usefulness in an out-of-character role.
Picard will be very useful in combat, yes, and you might also use him as an envoy to some effect. He won't be much of a spy though :wink:
Two general things that might allready are known:
- When sending a diplomatic message to another race the "send" button usually is greyed out. Workaround: Set up message, click on "inbox", click back to "outbox" and the "send" button is no longer greyed out.
- I do not find a possibility to release single ships from a fleet. I can combine single ships to a fleet by using drag and drop. But how do I release a ship from a fleet?
The first issue is Win10 related - there are a few of those. There's a whole thread dedicated to that matter.
The second one, use the Redeploy Fleet button, and then drag the ship you want to remove from a fleet to the purple box on top of the screen, and it'll create a new fleet.

Thanks for the input!
Centurion
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Centurion »

USS Defiant, in order to remove a ship from a fleet you have to drag the desired ship to the bar at the top. It says "drag starships here to create new taskforce". A new taskforce/fleet should be "created" consisting of that ship you moved. Hope that helps.
USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant »

Thanks both of you! Have understood now how fleet management works. :up:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Making it random RP's does change how a surveyor works but it still is illogical.
You could rationalize this as different scientific experiments being performed in that (hostile) environment, and some being successful (and you get like 50 RPs) and others not (and you get 5).
But like I said, this should be temporary, a kind of a speedbump fix for the fact that research might be a bit too fast - like discussed in the other thread, Intel is still not working, so it is not yet absorbing population from research facilities.
Just the moment they spawn seems a bit random. It happened to me that I had more agents available than options to use them. Then they retire I meet three new races and have no agent available.
Re-reading this, I'm not sure I understood you correctly. I mean, you might have been trying to tell me something other than what I understood. If so, I apologize, and will try to clarify.
Each "age" (ENT, TOS, TNG, VOY) has a finite number of agents available per civ. While at a certain age (actually, it is dependent on tech level), you will recruit agents from that age, one at a time, with a certain random interval between them, and up to the maximum number of active agents allowed (default 8 ). Each agent will be active for a certain number of turns, which is calculated using a base value modified by race, and a random number. When their career ends, they retire, and have no further use. If there are more elligible agents for that era, a new one will eventually be recruited, again up to the maximum allowed.
Notice some civs have few agents in some eras, so it's possible that you might be in a situation that you won't recruit more agents until you reach the next era.

If what you were saying is not explained by the above - that is, if something is not working the way it should - please do tell me, so I can investigate!
When sending a diplomatic message to another race the "send" button usually is greyed out. Workaround: Set up message, click on "inbox", click back to "outbox" and the "send" button is no longer greyed out.
See this if you're playing on Win10. There's some workarounds.
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613

Return to “Supremacy”