Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Starbucking »

Just downloaded this. Do I need to download all the Patches or only the most recent?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Starbucking wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:35 pm Just downloaded this. Do I need to download all the Patches or only the most recent?
Hi, Starbucking.
You only need the most recent patch.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Starbucking »

Thanks. Stayed up till 4 am playing and spent most of my afternoon. Some quick thoughts.

A) The audio doesnt seem to be affected by the settings. I turned Master, Music and SFX down to minimum and its still loud as horn.
B) Major fan of the new shipyard/Resource system. I like how ship build speed is determined by shipyard level not industry now.
C) The gameplay seems a bit slow. And the ranges are a tad bit small on the largest maps. By the time I hit 20-30 systems controlling a small sliver of the map I discover the AI has conquered the ENTIRE map.
D) If a player and an AI attempt to colonize the same system, the game will kick back my colony ship and give it to the AI.
E) Terrorist attacks are annoying but cool
F) I LOVE how you can actually Hail the AI now instead of them just opening fire on first contact.
G) The combat system is a bit wonky. I know how hard it is to code and set up a combat Viewer even BOTF had so Im happy with what youve put together.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for your feedback Starbucking!
It's great that you were liking the game so much that made you stay up that late!

I'll try to address your points:

A) The SFX controls are not working yet! Master and Music are, though. I've tried to keep all of the sfx (and themes) with a similar level, but if you find any that need adjusting, please report.

B) :up:

C) Can you elaborate on exactly what you include in "gameplay" ? There is a setting that allows you to set research speed (to Fast and Slow). Re ranges, I guess you know you have to build shipyards and stations to extend it? The AI does it, and is not exactly shy about it (shipyards mostly, as those don't have an upkeep). Expansion is the name of the game :grin:

D) Whoever gets to colonize the systems is determined by a number of factors. We actually discussed that recently. Factors include firepower (Klingons and Dominion get an edge if lone colony ships are involved), number of colonists (Feds get an edge), distance to own territory. There's no (intended) cheating involved :wink: If you find something fishy, please report!

E) You can reduce their likelyhood / stop them by activating Intelligence production facilities in the colony.
► Show Spoiler
F) :lol: Notice that depending on the other civ's trait, they may actually fire first and hail next (or not). :wink:

G) Just wait until Misfire finishes the tactical combat viewer, he already released a couple of samples and it looks really good.
Do you have any specific gripes/issues with the current combat system? Something that you feel need to be addressed? Please report if so.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Starbucking »

Iceman wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 pm Thanks for your feedback Starbucking!
It's great that you were liking the game so much that made you stay up that late!

I'll try to address your points:

A) The SFX controls are not working yet! Master and Music are, though. I've tried to keep all of the sfx (and themes) with a similar level, but if you find any that need adjusting, please report.

B) :up:

C) Can you elaborate on exactly what you include in "gameplay" ? There is a setting that allows you to set research speed (to Fast and Slow). Re ranges, I guess you know you have to build shipyards and stations to extend it? The AI does it, and is not exactly shy about it (shipyards mostly, as those don't have an upkeep). Expansion is the name of the game :grin:

D) Whoever gets to colonize the systems is determined by a number of factors. We actually discussed that recently. Factors include firepower (Klingons and Dominion get an edge if lone colony ships are involved), number of colonists (Feds get an edge), distance to own territory. There's no (intended) cheating involved :wink: If you find something fishy, please report!

E) You can reduce their likelyhood / stop them by activating Intelligence production facilities in the colony.
► Show Spoiler
F) :lol: Notice that depending on the other civ's trait, they may actually fire first and hail next (or not). :wink:

G) Just wait until Misfire finishes the tactical combat viewer, he already released a couple of samples and it looks really good.
Do you have any specific gripes/issues with the current combat system? Something that you feel need to be addressed? Please report if so.
So responding to your response.

I had the game set on Massive, Fast, Highest tech. I also did some meddling in the .xml files and even indreased the feds starting ships and stats to give me an edge. SO by game speed being too slow, I meant in my game its turn 180? And I have only about 60-70 war ships to defend the feds. Im used to UM5 so around turn 180 I have 2-300 starships depending on if I went into an early war. And I've been pumping as fast as I can. The number of throwaway systems with pops less than 100 is kinda wild and seems to make up about 30% of my empire. I did some playing with the most recent test version before installing the patch and noticed that you significantly decreased the number of systems with Deuterium, Duranium and Dilithium. Ive been afraid to go to war or be instigated into one as I doubt I have the fuel to support full time combat operations against an AI that seems significantly smarter than the BOTF one. From a tactics standpoint its an interesting dilemma but from a gameplay perspective with even larger and smarter fleets they're wiping the floor with me.
Subnote while I understand expansions is the name of the game, the expansion is too slow. Distance between clusters, time to terraform, time for that colony to get up to snuff.

About the colony ship issue. It was a single Fed ship (Mine) against a Cardassian ship, we were straddling the klingon border nowhere near either empire.

Upon first contact with all the majors none fired first. There were times I had to open fire on ships trying to colonize near my border but the AI always opted to hail first even when backed up by warships.

No issues with the current combat system as I havent used it enough. Altough it would be nice to have the ability to build a wider selection of ships. Example, the highest starting tech level is the closest to the Dominion war, during that time the feds pumped out large numbers of Centaur,Miranda Refits, Excelsior Refits, Intrepids, Nebula and Akira class all at the same time. I understand that would be hard to implement as there are so very few Non Fed ships that have been shown and most use the same model (Excluding STO beacuse it took alot of liberties with the Romulans and Cardassians)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Starbucking wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:23 pm I had the game set on Massive, Fast, Highest tech. I also did some meddling in the .xml files and even indreased the feds starting ships and stats to give me an edge. SO by game speed being too slow, I meant in my game its turn 180? And I have only about 60-70 war ships to defend the feds. Im used to UM5 so around turn 180 I have 2-300 starships depending on if I went into an early war. And I've been pumping as fast as I can.
At some point we will make the empires have more starting systems for the higher civ level starts.

I did some playing with the most recent test version before installing the patch and noticed that you significantly decreased the number of systems with Deuterium, Duranium and Dilithium.
Those haven't been touched in years, so I'm not sure how you got this impression.
Take deuterium for instance. It can be harvested from Gas Giants, Nebulae and Oceanic planets. None of those has changed. Neither have the rolls for duranium and dilithium.
The outputs of deuterium buildings have been decreased some time ago, but that was because fuel was a non-issue mid to late game. You would just have boatloads of it.

Ive been afraid to go to war or be instigated into one as I doubt I have the fuel to support full time combat operations against an AI that seems significantly smarter than the BOTF one.
:lol: And the AI in Supremacy is still very lacking in strategic awareness and shipbuilding optimization!

From a tactics standpoint its an interesting dilemma but from a gameplay perspective with even larger and smarter fleets they're wiping the floor with me.
As a side note, if you're playing with AIMode set to Hard or Impossible, AI ships will start at higher XP levels, which makes them tougher.

About the colony ship issue. It was a single Fed ship (Mine) against a Cardassian ship, we were straddling the klingon border nowhere near either empire.
Do you have a savegame from before the colonization? I'd like to take a look at that.

Upon first contact with all the majors none fired first. There were times I had to open fire on ships trying to colonize near my border but the AI always opted to hail first even when backed up by warships.
The Borg always fire first :twisted:
I think that Warlike minors might also sometimes engage instead of hail, but I'll have to check.
► Show Spoiler
No issues with the current combat system as I havent used it enough.
So what did you mean by it being a bit wonky?
_FED_
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by _FED_ »

Starbucking wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:24 pm B) Major fan of the new shipyard/Resource system. I like how ship build speed is determined by shipyard level not industry now.
C) The gameplay seems a bit slow. And the ranges are a tad bit small on the largest maps. By the time I hit 20-30 systems controlling a small sliver of the map I discover the AI has conquered the ENTIRE map.
D) If a player and an AI attempt to colonize the same system, the game will kick back my colony ship and give it to the AI.
B) Yeah its great. Building buildings AND (multiple) ships at the same time is what i love the most.
C) yeah i am in turn 200 now with the klingons (staring in advanced), on a tiny map. ok could have done more by now, though.
D) nice to see there are many factors involved, @Icemans post. Nice to see that features are well thought throught.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Starbucking »

By wonky I mean for example. A fed Scout 3 engaged a Cardassian scout 3 (I can only assume it was a 3 as we it was early in the "late" start game) I fired first as the AI opted to hail. I dropped his shields in the first round. In the second round It returned fire and dropped my shields while I did no noticeable damage. Round 3 we both did significant hull damage to each other. Round 4 I destroyed the Cardy with maybe a third of my hp left. Round two is where my issue emanates as I was confused as to why I seemingly didnt fire a shot after instigating the conflict.

Unfortunately, I don't have a save game of that specific incident but if it happens again ill be sure to record or something similar.

As for the Deuterium, I was unaware that nebula gave fuel. Theres no tool tip or info to suggest this, the only thing I saw on the Nebula was Shields and cloaks dont work.
Starbucking
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Starbucking »

I did some playing with the most recent test version before installing the patch and noticed that you significantly decreased the number of systems with Deuterium, Duranium and Dilithium.
Those haven't been touched in years, so I'm not sure how you got this impression.
Take deuterium for instance. It can be harvested from Gas Giants, Nebulae and Oceanic planets. None of those has changed. Neither have the rolls for duranium and dilithium.
The outputs of deuterium buildings have been decreased some time ago, but that was because fuel was a non-issue mid to late game. You would just have boatloads of it.
https://gyazo.com/0c1724e343ff565075d611c0bb601372

This is the version I started with. Out of the 10 starting systems near me maybe 3-4 had dilithuim. The rest had high amounts of Deut and Duranium. Maybe I just had an insanely lucky seed :cool:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Starbucking wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:20 am Round two is where my issue emanates as I was confused as to why I seemingly didnt fire a shot after instigating the conflict.
You probably just missed all your shots. Seems unlikely, but it can happen.

As for the Deuterium, I was unaware that nebula gave fuel. Theres no tool tip or info to suggest this, the only thing I saw on the Nebula was Shields and cloaks dont work.
There is a building that you can construct in Rogue planets (found in Nebulae) that produces deuterium.

This is the version I started with. Out of the 10 starting systems near me maybe 3-4 had dilithuim. The rest had high amounts of Deut and Duranium. Maybe I just had an insanely lucky seed
Most likely, yes. :wink:
_FED_
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by _FED_ »

How to synthesis red matter in supremacy?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

_FED_ wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:33 pm How to synthesis red matter in supremacy?
Build a science station in a star system with a Demon planet - those are found in green stars.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Iceman wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:55 am
Build a science station in a star system with a Demon planet - those are found in green stars.
.... and then prepare for unexpected :grin:
_FED_
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by _FED_ »

geordie wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:50 am
Iceman wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:55 am
.... and then prepare for unexpected :grin:
And now i am motivated to start another game :mrgreen:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hehe, good! :cool:

Re the game being a bit slow, I'll reduce the terraforming multipliers a bit (though they're actually lower than BotF's) to see if it helps.
I'll probably release a new patch so that you guys can test it. But it'll have to be after lunch! :smile:

Return to “Supremacy”