Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

Some weird results...
The Dominion terraformed and colonized the Tarantula Nebula, creating a second (Founder) Link, and building a Starbase there after building one in The Great Link. Nice.
The Federation built an Outpost on a zero pop system - while it was a nice range extender, it was weird... they had other colonies where they could (should) have built it.
The Romulans built a Starbase on an awesome 560 pop system, which they at some point began terraforming but left unfinished (maybe the colony ship was destroyed?); they didn't colonize it, but they claimed it!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Made trade routes work both ways - both in terms of gained credits and bonus to relations. Seemed kind of odd that only the civ that initiated the TR would benefit from it.

More work on the diplomatic AI, namely more bonuses to Allegiant minors and penalty for Give Resources (which isn't implemented yet) when you don't have the amount you're offering.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 am Well, some work has been done on the AI lately. We've been kind of quiet lately, but progress is being made.
The AI now terraforms a planet in a system before colonizing it (making it on equal standing with the human players).
It should now terraform all Ideal planets in the system before colonizing, if any. If not, it'll terraform one and then colonize.
It will also use any idle construction ships to build more stations in colonies other than the homesystem, and it might build science stations in anomalies or green stars - don't know if this works though, the code is still sub-optimal, was working on it yesterday all day but performed only limited testing.
Yep, it's working. The code still needs major overhauling, as it is leading (or contributing to) the AI to bankrupcy or duranium depletion early on. Need to get some checks in there to prevent that.
I'm going to have another look at AI OB upgrades again, try to figure out what's wrong with it.
Fixed.
Weyoun2986
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Weyoun2986 »

Hey there!

I'm playing the latest version and, as always, I'm super impressed with the ongoing progress! Thanks for keeping this going.

Out of curiosity, where is the modifier for agent lifespan based on race? The one that makes Vulcan agents live twice as long as Humans, I mean. I went poking around the XMLs and didn't see anything that was obviously that in the Personnel Constants, Agents, or Races files.

Also out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to add some kind of "ancient structures" element to the game? I'm just stealing this idea from the Armada 3 Sins of a Solar Empire mod, but it would be cool to be able to discover structures (perhaps as pre-existing, not-scrap-able buildings) on new colonies leftover from ancient civilizations.... an Iconian Gateway that reduces Agent travel time to one turn, for example.

Cheers!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Weyoun, glad to see you're still around! And thanks for your continued support!

The agent lifespan modifiers are currently hard-coded, so you can't change them. Do you want something to be changed there, or you would simply wish them to be moddable? There isn't a place (file) where they can be added efficiently, the best would probably be one of the tables, but none of them seem adequate.

Hehe, that's actually something I have in mind to implement "some day", something like you suggested. The Iconian Gateway is like (pardon the pun) an iconic one, yep.
Some time ago I had started thinking about how to add archeological-type colonization events - on a first approach, granting credits or research points. I guess it's a good time to get back to that idea :wink:
Weyoun2986
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Weyoun2986 »

Happy to be able to keep playing and lend my support!

I don't have any programming skills at all (I'm limited to editing XMLs), but if you ever setup a Patreon for this I'd be happy to subscribe.

For me, I'd just like to be able to mod the lifespans. I'm currently trying a version of the game in which I've tripled the required research points for each tech level, increased default agent lifespan to 100 turns, increased max number of active agents, and spaced-out their minimum recruitment times a bit (also pulled early Fed Vulcan agents - Soval, etc. - into TL1), all while playing with the slow research progress setting. My goal was to create an extreme long-play game where I can play a satisfying amount of time in each era (ENT, TOS, NexGen, etc.) instead of feeling like I'm constantly upgrading my PFs and ending up with fleets of obsolete ships. I'm working out a plan to edit higher TL ships and stations, too, so that, for example, a single Intrepid class could take on an entire fleet of NX class ships. Call me crazy!

And yes, archeological-type events would be awesome! For my money, though, I'd prefer the intel component up and running (The Dominion is my favorite galactic power - in case that wasn't obvious from my account name ;-) - and I'd love to be able to send Changeling Agents out to wreck havoc everywhere.... but I digress....), but finding cool ancient structures would be an excellent cherry on top of a finished game someday. :-)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Tech progression will be a bit slower now that terraforming is delaying colonization. I've just uploaded a new exe with a few improvements to AI terraforming and some other stuff.
also pulled early Fed Vulcan agents - Soval, etc. - into TL1
That'll make them always be recruited, and be recruited first. Limits the random factor some.
For my money, though, I'd prefer the intel component up and running (The Dominion is my favorite galactic power - in case that wasn't obvious from my account name ;-) - and I'd love to be able to send Changeling Agents out to wreck havoc everywhere....
Hehe. Yep, we do need to get Intel working, at least some basic stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Weyoun2986 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm For me, I'd just like to be able to mod the lifespans. I'm currently trying a version of the game in which I've tripled the required research points for each tech level, increased default agent lifespan to 100 turns, increased max number of active agents, and spaced-out their minimum recruitment times a bit (also pulled early Fed Vulcan agents - Soval, etc. - into TL1), all while playing with the slow research progress setting. My goal was to create an extreme long-play game where I can play a satisfying amount of time in each era (ENT, TOS, NexGen, etc.) instead of feeling like I'm constantly upgrading my PFs and ending up with fleets of obsolete ships. I'm working out a plan to edit higher TL ships and stations, too, so that, for example, a single Intrepid class could take on an entire fleet of NX class ships. Call me crazy!
The game does support mods, or at least it seems to have some basic infrastructure for it, so if you want to post your mod here, I can try to check how to add it to the game.
Which reminds me, we will need to implement an in-game way to load mods at some point.
RedTiger
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by RedTiger »

There is a new bug with the 28th june update. While processing a turn it often (nearly every secound round) stay hanging at "waiting on AI players".
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi RedTiger, welcome to the forums!
Thanks for your feedback. Do you have a savegame with which I can reproduce this?
RedTiger
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by RedTiger »

I found the reason for the error.
I've done a new installation now it works. I think the error was done by a mix of the three part-updates from may and june.

Update: after some rounds the same problem was back. How can i send you a savegame?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ugh, while finishing implementing the command ability in combat (retargeting only if civ has Command ship or combat station in battle) I found a bug; fixed it - hopefully, it was the one responsible for the game sometimes hanging.
Uploaded test version to BB.

AI should be a bit better too.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The game should now warn if XNA is not installed before starting, instead of crashing.

Fixed a few things related to terraforming, mostly related to the Dominion (J'H vs Founders).

Added some code to try to minimize issues with simultaneous attempts to colonize systems (which might hang the game).

Uploaded test version to BB.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

RedTiger wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm There is a new bug with the 28th june update. While processing a turn it often (nearly every secound round) stay hanging at "waiting on AI players".
Can you reproduce this with the updates I uploaded to BB?
Just wondering if it got fixed.
mastericeman
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mastericeman »

I am still getting the "Waiting or AI players" with the latest update (11Jul).
The error presents around turn 50 in new games, but there's an unusual workaround. If I retire and reload the autosave I can play one more turn before it shows up again. In this tedious manner it is possible to play for quite a long time, until a win condition is met or another error crops up.

I hope that helps.
BTW, I've been watching for a while, but decided to join the conversation to answer your question. Nice work on the game. As a lifelong ST fan and an avid BOTF player since it was originally released, I'm very pleased with the progress made, be it ever so gradual.

Return to “Supremacy”