Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by geordie »

Thanks for the patch. I will have to wait for testing it, because in my two regular games I have safer galaxies :wink: after the Borg having been already eliminated.

I met strange problems in my CE game. Apart that error recently the game was quite smooth. After last patch it is hardly playable. It hangs for several second, even sending a ship somewhere is difficult because I have to wait several seconds for displaying possible path for the ship. Especially pressing LMB is tricky, with no action for some time. I would like to underline that I am not getting any formal error. In the same time I have no such issues in regular Supremacy games.
Any advise?
Misfire
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Misfire »

I'll try putting together a new complete build. Patching individual files like I did may be to blame.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I don't have that problem, but my CE game is only on turn ~100.
afc
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by afc »

Turn 142 got a error Cannon Map Huge last save was 3 turns before crash

Clean install with patch_20230319
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvoke(Object[] args)
at Supremacy.Utility.AsyncHelper.AsyncInvokeCallback(Object state) in C:\Projects\Supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Utility\AsyncHelper.cs:line 54
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

----------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Supremacy.Combat.CombatAssets.get_Owner() in C:\Projects\Supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Combat\CombatAssets.cs:line 61
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.<>c__DisplayClass74_0.<SendCombatUpdateCallback>b__0(CombatAssets fa) in C:\Projects\Supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 1125
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.SendCombatUpdateCallback(CombatEngine engine, CombatUpdate update) in C:\Projects\Supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 1125

----------------------------------------
Attachments
SP Klingons CanonMapHuge 139 hard.sav
(935.73 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

This is not actually a crash, but the game hanging, correct?
In fact, the game didn't actually hang, it just got into an endless loop due to a battle between 2 behemoths - a Borg Tactical Cube sent to assimilate the Ocampa, but bumping into the Caretaker's Array :shock:
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:39 pm This is not actually a crash, but the game hanging, correct?
In fact, the game didn't actually hang, it just got into an endless loop due to a battle between 2 behemoths - a Borg Tactical Cube sent to assimilate the Ocampa, but bumping into the Caretaker's Array :shock:
I think Caretaker should win :lol:
afc
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by afc »

Iceman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:39 pm This is not actually a crash, but the game hanging, correct?
yes after 15 minute of battle i had to shut it down, is there a way to delete the cube so i can get past the loop?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

afc wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:42 am
yes after 15 minute of battle i had to shut it down, is there a way to delete the cube so i can get past the loop?
I have it fixed already.
The main problem was that neither side could actually penetrate the other's shields, because of the high recharge rates. So I limited space combat to 10 rounds (still need to test the result in battles involving the human player though), which was in the ToDo list for a long time anyway. The Borg were also a bit too "bold" (or arrogant, take your pick) in their assessement of defenses (though this was a special case, a really tough station). There was also a bug with the logic, which is now fixed.

Thanks for the save, it was really helpful/useful. When I get the time I'll add a few more star systems to the canon map, there are some areas (/empires) that are somewhat in deficit.
Comments on how it can be improved are welcome!
Maybe I should remove the Ocampa :?: I'll have to improve the code to have the Borg select a better fleet to attack such targets - again, when I have the time.

I'll try to upload a new patch later today so that you can keep playing this game.
:up:

Danijel wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:24 pm I think Caretaker should win :lol:
Hehe. Should we increase its stats :?:
Firepower, Shields, hull, :?:
What do you guys think :?:
afc
Site Founder
Site Founder

Post by afc »

Dont remove the Ocampa, i would make Caretaker stronger to beat the borg
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Iceman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:28 amThe main problem was that neither side could actually penetrate the other's shields, because of the high recharge rates.
This repeated shields recharge issue in Supremacy sounds strange. A poorly armed support ship vs an unarmed hub/station is the only understandable special case for the issue, but even in this case I'd expect some sort of emergency defense weapons able to chase the 'glob flies' away.

As a rule of a thumb, if one side's weapons can't damage the opponents shields (due to recharge rate), said opponent also should have the firepower to deal with said 'glob flies'. Otherwise the general firepower vs shield recharge rates appears too low in Supremacy?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
nightman1701
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nightman1701 »

Misfire wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 am You could try running it in compatibility mode, not sure it will help though.
I tried running in compatibility mode and it still is given me the exception error.

The only time it happens is when I go to build a ship after a couple turns. If I load up the save game and click the shipyard to build I have no problems. I play a little bit and I get the error when I build a new ship.

I've tried looking online for a solution and the only reference I get is to Dispatcher Processing and WPF errors.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

So I limited space combat to 10 rounds
As I remember, a scout taking a TWH down in the Borg game needed up to 20 rounds. So if we want to keep ot, please make 20 rounds as a limit.
Hehe. Should we increase its stats :?:
Firepower, Shields, hull, :?:
What do you guys think :?:
The Caretaker Array with strength similar to a SB is somehow ridiculous. I would propose 2 x SB stats with a proper recharge rate..
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:23 pm As I remember, a scout taking a TWH down in the Borg game needed up to 20 rounds. So if we want to keep ot, please make 20 rounds as a limit.
Ok.
The Caretaker Array with strength similar to a SB is somehow ridiculous. I would propose 2 x SB stats with a proper recharge rate..
Hmm?! A SB2 has ~1500/400 defenses, the Array has 6000/1000 :!: It's a bit below a Borg Cube (6750/1250), but can take out 2 of them.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Sorry that I didn't check the parameters, but I support the idea that the Caretaker should be unique.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

afc wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 am Dont remove the Ocampa, i would make Caretaker stronger to beat the borg
It can beat 2 Cubes, but a Tac Cube is really tough; maybe it needs to be toned down.

In this map, the Ocampa will always be assimilated by the Borg, so unless you're playing as the Borg, the Array might actually be a bad idea as it'll weaken the Borg's fleet.

I'm trying to fix a bug in target selection by stations, they switch targets when they take down the shields...

Return to “Supremacy”