Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Hebrewhammer
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Hebrewhammer »

I came across something odd during one of my campaigns. I am at war with the romulans and allied with the feds and dominions. My allies have grabbed a few planets in romulan territory since they too have gone to war against them, however i came across something that I believe to be a bug. In one instance the feds had some planets occupied around a romulan system.

If I bombarded it and killed the population it would fall under control of the feds and I would be unable to take it, however if I invaded it and captured it then the planet would go to my control. The issue arised where I sent just troop transports over to the planet with no other warships since there defense was so weak there was no need for orbital bombardment. When the turn processed it counted it as a victory for me and I lost 1 or 2 transports in the assault, however when I looked at the planet the population was wiped out and that meant it had fallen to federation control.

I thought it might be something to do with being in federation territory so I tried the same thing on another romulan system that was isolated. With just troop transports I invaded the system and won however after that the system was neutral with no one alive in system and again I lost 2 troop transports in the process.

Both systems had a pop below 100, did my invasions somehow wipe out everyone during the assault. I do not recall the enemy population taking such extreme casualties during an assault and figured most of the population would stay intact giving me immediate control of the system. I should still have some game saves before the invasions if you would like to check for yourself.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:29 pm I came across something odd during one of my campaigns. I am at war with the romulans and allied with the feds and dominions. My allies have grabbed a few planets in romulan territory since they too have gone to war against them, however i came across something that I believe to be a bug. In one instance the feds had some planets occupied around a romulan system.

If I bombarded it and killed the population it would fall under control of the feds and I would be unable to take it, however if I invaded it and captured it then the planet would go to my control.
No issues up to this point, right?

Or do you think that a civ should be able to colonize systems inside an ally's territory :?:

The issue arised where I sent just troop transports over to the planet with no other warships since there defense was so weak there was no need for orbital bombardment. When the turn processed it counted it as a victory for me and I lost 1 or 2 transports in the assault, however when I looked at the planet the population was wiped out and that meant it had fallen to federation control.

I thought it might be something to do with being in federation territory so I tried the same thing on another romulan system that was isolated. With just troop transports I invaded the system and won however after that the system was neutral with no one alive in system and again I lost 2 troop transports in the process.

Both systems had a pop below 100, did my invasions somehow wipe out everyone during the assault. I do not recall the enemy population taking such extreme casualties during an assault and figured most of the population would stay intact giving me immediate control of the system. I should still have some game saves before the invasions if you would like to check for yourself.
Yes, please, I'd like to take a look at those. Ground combat does produce collateral damage to civilians. Maybe you're committing a lot of TTs to the assault?
Hebrewhammer
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Hebrewhammer »

So looking at my saves I have one close to before the invasions. I did have a high amount of TTs and one of the invasions I had a 12 to 1 advantage. I did not know that would effect the amount of civilian casualties only that it would increase my chance of victory.

The TTs in the save are at Delta Aquilae (with 16 TTs) and the system in fed territory is directly to the left only a few grid squares away which is Kornephoros. The other system is to the south of Kornephoros and close to the bottom of the map next to a dominion system and it is Minor's Star. As you said it could be the mere fact that I used so many TTs on a small pop system.
SP Klingons Huge Irregular 795.zip
(771.19 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yes, it is, just confirmed it.
While I could limit the civilian casualties to a % of the current pop, the current system has 2 advantages:
- you can "destroy" a colony through invasion too (not just through bombardment)
- a subjugated colony with very low population might be more of a headache than a benefit

In this save, you can subjugate Kornephoros with only a couple of TTs, and your garrison will be almost maxed with acceptable civilian casualties.
There is no advantage in deploying more than 2 or 3 TTs.

But this can be discussed, of course.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch.
This version has the map editor, and you can load older saves (pre ME) - but not xxx_MapEditor saves.

The canon map provided with the patch is not yet the final version, it needs more work and testing.
You can play it now, since the bug with minors has been fixed.

The Tachyon Detection Grid (Subspace Jammer renamed) now works, increasing scan strength (but not range) by 2 - should be enough to make the Isolinear Scanner detect any cloaked ship.
The description needs to be improved, I just adapted it from MA... any takers?

Changes to cloaked ships in combat (retreat, targeting) need to be tested.

Feedback is most welcome as usual.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

New patch, new challenges! :)
But first I met an error while attempting troops landing. Old game, but no problems before the patch.
Error 20220520.txt
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
SP Cardassians Huge Irregular 353.zip
(785.31 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ah, caused by a fix to eliminated OBs. I've fixed it for the next patch, thanks!
If you need to destroy OBs, please use the previous patch for those turns. I need to look into a few more things before releasing a new patch.
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

I'm unsure - why are my saved games just disappearing in the saved game list, in game?

if I copy the saved game files over to a new installation why aren't the saves showing up in the list?
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

toffeeblue wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:29 pm I'm unsure - why are my saved games just disappearing in the saved game list, in game?

if I copy the saved game files over to a new installation why aren't the saves showing up in the list?
Just seen there is a new patch - from 20-05-2022, so will try that. But yeah having a weird thing with my saved games just disappearing.

The files are in the directory, but in game nothing being shown to load or save (so e.g. cannot load a previous save game)
toffeeblue
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by toffeeblue »

toffeeblue wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm
toffeeblue wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:29 pm I'm unsure - why are my saved games just disappearing in the saved game list, in game?

Just seen there is a new patch - from 20-05-2022, so will try that. But yeah having a weird thing with my saved games just disappearing.

The files are in the directory, but in game nothing being shown to load or save (so e.g. cannot load a previous save game)
Have just seem that it seems to have been corrupting my save games - gradually.

They're only 1 KB in size and they should be much larger 482 KB in size so this might to blame!>!
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Iceman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 pm New patch.
This version has the map editor, and you can load older saves (pre ME) - but not xxx_MapEditor saves.

The canon map provided with the patch is not yet the final version, it needs more work and testing.
You can play it now, since the bug with minors has been fixed.

The Tachyon Detection Grid (Subspace Jammer renamed) now works, increasing scan strength (but not range) by 2 - should be enough to make the Isolinear Scanner detect any cloaked ship.
The description needs to be improved, I just adapted it from MA... any takers?

Changes to cloaked ships in combat (retreat, targeting) need to be tested.

Feedback is most welcome as usual.
After terraforming a system completely and then attempting to colonise, if another GalPower has a colony ship in the system, the player will always lose out.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

TempestWales wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:40 pm After terraforming a system completely and then attempting to colonise, if another GalPower has a colony ship in the system, the player will always lose out.
The way it is coded is that the fleet with the highest firepower will colonize; the Klingons and the Dominion have armed colony ships, so they have an edge there.

What you're describing though is an uncommon situation; the AI just happened to arrive at the system that you have just finished terraforming, and you both tried to colonize it at the same time - the AI doesn't "steal" the system on purpose.
There needs to be a better way to do this, I agree.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch.

Fixed an issue with destroyed OBs.
Made a potentially confusing change: you will not be able to start building more colony ships / troop transports than the colony's population / garrison allows.

Reverted some previous cloak strength changes.

Tweaks to the canon map.
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

Iceman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:16 pm
TempestWales wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:40 pm After terraforming a system completely and then attempting to colonise, if another GalPower has a colony ship in the system, the player will always lose out.
The way it is coded is that the fleet with the highest firepower will colonize; the Klingons and the Dominion have armed colony ships, so they have an edge there.

What you're describing though is an uncommon situation; the AI just happened to arrive at the system that you have just finished terraforming, and you both tried to colonize it at the same time - the AI doesn't "steal" the system on purpose.
There needs to be a better way to do this, I agree.
I don't think its uncommon as the AI is quite aggressive on Colony Expansion, and in turn so does the player need to be. I've had quite a few border systems where the AI will just camp Colony ships while you terraform. Previously I believe the system couldn't be colonised if it was terraformed by another power. I certainly have had it in previous versions where I couldn't colonise a system terraformed by another power that then left.

Maybe a two turn prohibition to the power that wasn't the last power to be terraforming.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

TempestWales wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:02 pm I don't think its uncommon as the AI is quite aggressive on Colony Expansion, and in turn so does the player need to be.
Do you find it to be too aggressive on Normal?

I've had quite a few border systems where the AI will just camp Colony ships while you terraform.
The AI should not camp on systems being terraformed. Are you sure they don't leave?

Previously I believe the system couldn't be colonised if it was terraformed by another power. I certainly have had it in previous versions where I couldn't colonise a system terraformed by another power that then left.
Hmm? Unless such system was inside another civ's territory, the game never worked like that.

Maybe a two turn prohibition to the power that wasn't the last power to be terraforming.
This issue is partly due to the way it is coded. I've had it in the back of my mind for a long time to add a "partial claim" to terraforming.

Return to “Supremacy”