Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:27 pm

USS Defiant wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:23 pm
What I can say is: I really like the surveyors. You have talked about them in the other thread. My first thoughts are that they are not "overpowered" during the early turns or tech levels. It is just logical that a race that just started travelling through space will learn a lot by surveying what ever they find in space. But I also agree that it is illogical that a surveyor gives you the same knowledge every turn for as many turns as they survey the same nebula or wormhole. Making it random RP's does change how a surveyor works but it still is illogical.
Yes, they are supposed to give you a powerful boost. It is not supposed to be a persistent thing though, I just haven't properly addressed it yet, as it is some sensitive code, and with a drawback.
The random RPs solution is a temporary one, until the issue is dealt with properly. I'm considering a couple of ideas about how to implement this without being too cumbersome code-wise. One of them involves you only being able to survey each anomaly once - simpler, but not the most interesting one.
My idea of a solution: Let's imagine one surveys a wormhole. Isn't it possible to set a limit of RP one can get from that specific wormhole? Let's say the wormhole gives you 100 RP overall. First turn brings you 20 RP. Second turn brings you 10 RP. Third turn brings you 5 RP. And so on until one reached 100 RP from that spcific wormhole. After that one knows everything about this wormhole and can't get any new information from it. That means he has to search for another wormhole and can't "park" a surveyor for 100+ rounds at the same wormhole. I would also suggest that the second wormhole doesn't give you 100 RP. It should give less. Imagine you are surveying a butterfly. You learn that they have 6 legs. This is an information you only get ONCE. Surveying other kinds of butterflies will also give you that inforamtion but it is useless for you cause you already know this from the first butterfly you have surveyed. You know what I mean? Same with wormholes... After surveying for example 10 of them you should know everything about wormholes and shouldn't get any new RP from surveying 'em. But instead you should get a kind of permanent tech bonus or a new building ( e.g. transwarp center? ) as an award for surveying 10 wormholes.
Pls don't quote me on the numbers. They are just to show my idea and not a real suggestion. I am not deep enough into the game to say which numbers really make sense and are ballenced. What are your thoughts about it?
Actually, that's the original design for it. Each anomaly type is worth a certain number of RPs, and you can "collect" those RPs until it is exhausted. The decreasing collection rate is interesting, and the "diminishing returns" too.
It's a more interesting solution, no doubt about it.
Agent spawn rate: I am not really sure what you mean by agents? But I guess you mean the characters that spawn and can be sent to other races to serve as an ambassador. If so I think the spawn rate is okay. Just the moment they spawn seems a bit random. It happened to me that I had more agents available than options to use them. Then they retire I meet three new races and have no agent available. I also wonder why some of them have skills like "combat" or why Tasha Yar should be able to serve as an ambassador. Or Worf... Or Cpt. Jericho... Can I also use them in combat? I mean can I make Cpt. Picard the captain of one of my fleets? Otherwise this combat skill doesn't make sense to me.
It is random :wink:
Right now you can only assign them as envoys, but eventually you'll be able to attach them to fleets as officers, providing bonuses, or place them in colonies where you want them to conduct sabotage or espionage missions. I'm working a bit on the Intel screen.
Tasha and Worf will probably not have any (or much) of an effect when assigned as envoys - as officers though, they sure will. Combat for instance will influence the role of officer, but not envoy, and only marginally operative. The skills of the agents are tailored for a specific role, though they have a 3rd skill that is entirely random - which might make them actually have a marginal usefulness in an out-of-character role.
Picard will be very useful in combat, yes, and you might also use him as an envoy to some effect. He won't be much of a spy though :wink:
Two general things that might allready are known:
- When sending a diplomatic message to another race the "send" button usually is greyed out. Workaround: Set up message, click on "inbox", click back to "outbox" and the "send" button is no longer greyed out.
- I do not find a possibility to release single ships from a fleet. I can combine single ships to a fleet by using drag and drop. But how do I release a ship from a fleet?
The first issue is Win10 related - there are a few of those. There's a whole thread dedicated to that matter.
The second one, use the Redeploy Fleet button, and then drag the ship you want to remove from a fleet to the purple box on top of the screen, and it'll create a new fleet.

Thanks for the input!

Centurion
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Centurion » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:39 pm

USS Defiant, in order to remove a ship from a fleet you have to drag the desired ship to the bar at the top. It says "drag starships here to create new taskforce". A new taskforce/fleet should be "created" consisting of that ship you moved. Hope that helps.

USS Defiant
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by USS Defiant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Thanks both of you! Have understood now how fleet management works. :up:

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am

Making it random RP's does change how a surveyor works but it still is illogical.
You could rationalize this as different scientific experiments being performed in that (hostile) environment, and some being successful (and you get like 50 RPs) and others not (and you get 5).
But like I said, this should be temporary, a kind of a speedbump fix for the fact that research might be a bit too fast - like discussed in the other thread, Intel is still not working, so it is not yet absorbing population from research facilities.
Just the moment they spawn seems a bit random. It happened to me that I had more agents available than options to use them. Then they retire I meet three new races and have no agent available.
Re-reading this, I'm not sure I understood you correctly. I mean, you might have been trying to tell me something other than what I understood. If so, I apologize, and will try to clarify.
Each "age" (ENT, TOS, TNG, VOY) has a finite number of agents available per civ. While at a certain age (actually, it is dependent on tech level), you will recruit agents from that age, one at a time, with a certain random interval between them, and up to the maximum number of active agents allowed (default 8 ). Each agent will be active for a certain number of turns, which is calculated using a base value modified by race, and a random number. When their career ends, they retire, and have no further use. If there are more elligible agents for that era, a new one will eventually be recruited, again up to the maximum allowed.
Notice some civs have few agents in some eras, so it's possible that you might be in a situation that you won't recruit more agents until you reach the next era.

If what you were saying is not explained by the above - that is, if something is not working the way it should - please do tell me, so I can investigate!
When sending a diplomatic message to another race the "send" button usually is greyed out. Workaround: Set up message, click on "inbox", click back to "outbox" and the "send" button is no longer greyed out.
See this if you're playing on Win10. There's some workarounds.
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Iceman,
My last version is 20190914. Should I copy the 0915 files before 0927?

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Hey geordie
No need, both 0914 and 0915 are just code patches, they have the exact same files. This time I uploaded both the code and the data files.

In 0915 I disabled the AI building and upgrading OBs, to check if that was what was causing one of the crashes. It was.
In 0927 I re-enabled it, with an attempt at fixing it - not sure if it'll work, so feedback on that is most welcome.

I also have another attempt at fixing the other crash, but haven't released that one yet. I'm waiting to see if the fix mentioned above works.

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks.
I try to find some time next week for Supremacy :smile:

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:40 pm

The Empire Intel Info expander (on the left) is mostly working now.
Not the rest though. Yet.
Attachments
intel.png
intel.png (946.05 KiB) Viewed 197 times

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi,
An error log just after a planet assault by troops. No autosave available.
BR geordie
Attachments
Error 20191002.txt
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Hmmm, that's an OoM exception... we haven't had one of those in a long time.
Doesn't seem to be related to assaults, crashed when ending turn, when serializing game data.

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Is there a war penalization now?
Romulans declared war on my Cards and after taking a planet from them (even without any bombardment) my relations with all races dropped significantly....

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 pm

There is a penalty for being at war, yes, which affects your own morale, but what you're experiencing is a relations penalty from - most likely - killing civilians. Even without bombardment, your troops will cause some measure of collateral damage, which is higher the more troops you land.
It might need to be toned down? Or even removed?

Did you manage to continue with the game that crashed?
What turn are you in? Have you had any other crashes in that game?

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:32 am

I played about 240 turns and only with two crashes I had reported. No problems to continue after the second one.

Iceman
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Iceman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:47 pm

So the first one was this
I have just clicked empty slot to chose a ship to build.
And the second one was this
An error log just after a planet assault by troops. No autosave available.
Correct?

Are you playing the release version, or any of the patches?
What I really need to know is if the last patch has fixed one of the crashes.

---

BTW,
Is there a war penalization now?
Romulans declared war on my Cards and after taking a planet from them (even without any bombardment) my relations with all races dropped significantly....
IIRC the relations penalty for invasions is temporary - that is, it will only last for a few turns, and then relations get back to what they were. The more civilians that get killed, the longer it will last. I will check the code.

geordie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by geordie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:09 pm

I was playing Sep09 + Sep27
After an arrogant declaration about only two crashes I was punished and got immediately the third one....
Error.zip
(725 Bytes) Downloaded 2 times

Return to “Supremacy”