Known problems

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Known problems

Post by Iceman »

There are a few known problems that might result in crashes or hangs. They will eventually be addressed. I'm starting a thread where we can post these issues so that people know what to expect when performing certain actions.

Some laptops with NVidia GPUs crash the game when rendering XNA stuff (3D ship models in the shipyard, stars in the star system panel, planet animations in the system assault screen).
This thread might help fix it (has links to other threads with similar problems).

Other issues that do not result in crashes or hangs:

- ignoring a proposal has no effect when the recipient of the proposal is a human player

- the Diplomacy screen is still using the Federation theme for all empires.

- the Intelligence screen is not working yet.

- the Empire Status tab in the Intelligence screen does not filter information yet, and some data is kind of a cheat (which can be used to track the development of AI empires, for testing purposes).

- Personnel can only be assigned as envoys for now; fleet officers and covert operatives are not yet implemented.

- Victory Conditions are not working properly yet.

- the SoundFX volume control is not working yet.

- the Game Context Menu for the Dominion and the Romulans, and an updated version for the Federation, still need to be done.

- some 3D models are still missing.

- some 3D models need to be improved.

- some soundfx are still missing.

- some soundfx need to be improved.
Last edited by Iceman on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Known problems

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: #350 - When a civilization joins an empire, their ships and stations will count as friendly units but still trigger the space combat window, resulting in the game hanging.
Got this one fixed, it was a very annoying one... It's safe to have minors join your empire now, finally! :grin:
Iceman wrote: #189 - Assigning an agent to a minor that is already a member of your empire crashes the game.
Agents have been improved a lot. AFAICT there's only one very rare crash still lurking, but I'm moving on to other stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Re #350:
Minors ships will not engage other fleets on their own (they're just "allied", not actually owned by the empire). Having them join a fleet with your own ships will hang the game on combat resolution (trying to determine if there's combat or not)! So, don't. :wink: I'll try to fix that for the next release.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: #350 - When a civilization joins an empire, their ships and stations will count as friendly units but still trigger the space combat window, resulting in the game hanging.
This will also happen if you have treaties with them.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Any news when an AI may be added for solo play?
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

There is an AI already, though it only builds ships and PFs currently, and builds a station in the homesystem and colonizes a few systems if it's an empire. There will be a few fixes and improvements in the next release. I'll try to make expanding the AI a priority, if noone else gets back to working on it.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well that's good to know. :-)

I am more of a single player person myself so I prefer AI's even though they aren't as smart as human players.

How is the ship combat engine coming along?
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote:
This will also happen if you have treaties with them.
I have fixed this for the next release.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

the game seems to hang up in large fleet combat.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Can you specify how large please?
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

I seem to get it 50+ ships in combat, I was in a fight with the Borg. the last time sent in 68 ships and it went into a freeze.

system specs:

System Type x64-based PC
System SKU
Processor AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 11/25/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Platform Role Desktop
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Oh, so you've bumped into the Borg? :mrgreen:
They're pretty much in an incomplete state right now, we need to make them more interesting. We also need images for their buildings, any takers? :wink:

--

Does the freeze only happen when attacking the Borg, or in any large scale battle?
Does it produce an error log with useful information? I'm guessing not, but if it does, could you attach it here please?
Any additional info about the battle might also be useful, like when exactly does the freeze happen, like when you press Engage, after the first round, after any casualties, anything really.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Its pretty much any large fleet encounter. I will get the battle screen pop-up as the fleet moves into the sector, and it will just hang there with the windows timer cursor. I looked for a crash log but none are being generated.
Roldom
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Roldom »

Hi team,

First of all I've only just came in contact with this and have to say I'm loving it so far!
I dont know if im just missing something or if its a bug, but every time i create a treaty with a minor race and they accept; it lasts for the turn its accepted on but then vanishes the next turn.
Also I found a PDF manual for the game from a few years ago, is there an up to date one? I'm trying to figure out how to use the auto build on the star systems, and if the personnel can be used for other things apart from as envoys.

Once again, Fantastic job!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Roldom, welcome to the forums!
Glad you like the game so far.

Yes, this build has a problem with the duration of treaties. I introduced it when I implemented fixed durations for NAPs and recurring payments... I'll either try to fix or revert these changes, and produce a new build tomorrow.

Funny that you mention a manual update, we talked about it a couple weeks ago or so, and we plan to start working on it :up:
There isn't an auto-build (yet), but it is planned for star systems to have governors. It's just not very high in the priority list right now.
As for personnel, at this point they can only be used as envoys, but eventually they'll also be used as officers in fleets and agents in espionage/sabotage actions.

Thanks for the support!

Return to “Supremacy”