Status of AI and single playability

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Status of AI and single playability

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

So over the last decade (if I remember correctly Supremacy has been in developement since 04/05 I believe) I've been tracking the progress of Supremacy. I've Been speaking to Mike off and on over the years, trying to help anyway I can. I built the startreksupremacy.com website years ago. I check in on the forums every few weeks hoping for - the game has a Ai and can be played well in single player mode.

I was hoping by now we would have a BOTF sequel. But the idiots over at CBS / Paromount are well idiots and choose not to make a hit game that pretty much everyone on this forum would buy, not to mention the thousands of casual gamers. Last time I spoke to the head of Star Trek for CBS she told me she has no plans for a BOTF style game. That their focusing all their efforts on The Rebooted universe.

Last year I tried to get people on board to donate money to any company/group willing to complete the game, unfortunately many didn't like that thinking CBS would get involved. So that fell through.

I wish there was something I can do to push this game to be finished. I guess the reason I'm so gung ho for it is because I've had a horrid horrid year. Wife cheated on me, left me for another man, which is by far the worst pain life has to offer. I keep hoping something would pop up to make me :). The two things that would ( it may sound corny but these mean a lot to me ) would either be a BOTF 2 game (supremacy or similar title) or a new Star Trek The Experience.

Heck if I knew it would finish the game I would donate 5 thousand (all I have saved) to anyone willing to finish it.

It may be just a game but I can't begin to tell you how much happiness and joy BOTF 1 gave me. I wish I can get to play BOTF 2 so I can at least get some happiness again out of life.

Anyway thanks to all those keeping the project alive, anything I can do let me know.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Status of AI and single playability

Post by Iceman »

Please don't talk to CBS again about anything related to Supremacy. You almost got us into big trouble the last time you did. I think Mike or one of the old forum staff talked to you about that? If you kill the game by being impatient, neither you nor all the other people waiting for it to be finished will actually play it...
And please refrain from using that type of language about the people at CBS, we don't want to draw any attention. I'd ask a forum admin to edit your post and remove such wording.
There will never be any money involved in the making of Supremacy, not unless Mike changes his mind. Which is doubtful.
I'd suggest you use the Money to get C# courses and actually help complete the game. Or work on the art assets we still need. Or whatever else you might want to do.
I understand your predicament, but please be patient and don't get us into trouble.
Thanks.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

JeanNYGUARD wrote: I built the startreksupremacy.com website years ago.

Anyway thanks to all those keeping the project alive, anything I can do let me know.
Suggestion, can you get the site up to date? That'd be a great way of helping! It'd give the game more visibility.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hey comeon Iceman, I already was harsh enough last time, and I see nothing bad on above post.
despite there is absolutely no point in talking to CBS at current state, I'm sure they don't care the slightest as long you stick to the rule of not making money and it's not attracting massive people. It's just a meaningless non-blockbuster fan project to them and they tolerate other fan projects as well for good reason as they'd do bad in fighting their own fan communities which easily would drop popularity and risk profit

I actually feel with you JeanNYGUARD and I would want a sequel badly as well. A big issue with that however is everyone including the developer has a different vision of what a sequel should be. And that's been my main point already on your attempt last time. You didn't even care to hear for other peoples minds but simply set as given what you'd want a sequel to be. And it is not the game I nor the other developers would want for sure. Realize this.

I find it great you are so encouraged to support development of a new sequel. Guess how much encouragement it did and does cost the fan developers and modders to spend all their time for free. It is not about money at current state. Sure money is great and helps but (beside the license issues) with money you get responsibility and it's a huge endeavour to get such a project done so all are happy. Talking about money if all the time ppl spent into programming and arts would have been getting paid, I bet there'd already been a million invested or more to current Supremacy.
In this sense none of the fan projects is very productive but rather a journey with side steps where people spend time on things they are interested in and improve their skill. You are pretty welcome to participate on this. One start would be like Iceman suggested to buy a book on programming cause whatever game is getting realized, in the end to get your personal best BotF sequel ever, you will have to touch the code yourself. ;)

cheers and nice to hear from you
hope you withstand all the troubles there were, I had a pretty troublesome life as well slowly getting better
and what people often forget, Mike has a life as well like every other programmer has :)

edit: typo...
Last edited by Flocke on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I guess you wouldn't mind being called an idiot by someone who disagrees with some option you made, then? :wink:
I'm not defending the CBS folks, nor do I have any reason to attack them. They're doing their job.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Iceman wrote:I guess you wouldn't mind being called an idiot by someone who disagrees with some option you made, then? :wink:
I'm not defending the CBS folks, nor do I have any reason to attack them. They're doing their job.
jep that's just fine, happens to me all the time ;)
would be surprised if anyone of the cbs folks feels attacked by this harmless little curse
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Flocke wrote:hey comeon Iceman, I already was harsh enough last time, and I see nothing bad on above post.
despite there is absolutely no point in talking to CBS at current state, I'm sure they don't care the slightest as long you stick to the rule of not making money and it's not attracting massive people. It's just a meaningless non-blockbuster fan project to them and they tolerate other fan projects as well for good reason as they'd do bad in fighting their own fan communities which easily would drop popularity and risk profit
Yeah... MGM failed on that point, with stargate. Loads of fans were making stargate maps and mods for Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, Star Wars Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy and even the previous one, Jedi Outcast, along with one for Counterstrike, Half Life, and so on... then they announced an SG-1 Game, and started red-lettering all the fan developers of those mods. Of course, some time later the developer of the official game went "we need approval-type input from MGM for some stuff and they're being silent... IO dont think they want this game", of course, they didn't, they decided to do an MMO instead... which also went through development hell and didn't get released. And the mobile game they did as a stop-gap-slash-money-maker for the devs (all that dragging heels meant the budget kept getting eaten into more than was being put in...) was totally rubbish.

And we still dont have stargate maps anymore. Not even the ones some fans already downloaded for other games - quite often, we have to remove them to make space.

so yeah, you dont need to be making waves to be getting that sort of attention. Consider yourselves lucky that they didn't shut you down the second they heard of you, never mind when people asked them to support this.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

yep all too often companies don't behave rational
but there are far bigger massively funded star trek fan projects and supremacy/botf2 has no financial relevance to cbs
they act just blanket for all the fan projects and intervene when their interests get harmed
lately with all the fan movies cbs turned out to be pretty tolerant to fan projects
far more critical is talk to the gaming industry with hands on the licenses as there's more potential for an interest conflict
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

I agree that in the current state CBS doesn't need to be contacted. However that doesn't mean at some point CBS wouldn't be interested in licensing. I still firmly believe that something like a well funded Kickstarter project could work given the right group of people (developers and visionaries).

At the end of the day CBS only cares about profit and money. If they were approached with you'll get x dollars from every title sold and have no financial risk many companies will dance as long as you don't harm their brand. [Side note: I am NOT bashing their interests in money as they have a company to run and that is their language. I, for one, believe in capitalism.]

After all look at Star Trek Axanar (that is totally third party). However, I will repeat this, BotF 2 type games are no where near ready for that but nothing is impossible with the right vision and leadership period. So who knows what the future holds.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

Iceman wrote:Please don't talk to CBS again about anything related to Supremacy. You almost got us into big trouble the last time you did. I think Mike or one of the old forum staff talked to you about that? If you kill the game by being impatient, neither you nor all the other people waiting for it to be finished will actually play it...
And please refrain from using that type of language about the people at CBS, we don't want to draw any attention. I'd ask a forum admin to edit your post and remove such wording.
There will never be any money involved in the making of Supremacy, not unless Mike changes his mind. Which is doubtful.
I'd suggest you use the Money to get C# courses and actually help complete the game. Or work on the art assets we still need. Or whatever else you might want to do.
I understand your predicament, but please be patient and don't get us into trouble.
Thanks.
Don't tell me who I can or cannot talk to. I deal with CBS, NBC, etc. and many other major companies with my 9-5 job. I know how to deal with these people.

Big trouble really. Per se how did I get you in big trouble? See one thing you fail to realize is that BOTF 2 isn't important to CBS/Paromount. They don't know you even exist. And when I brought it up to the head of CBS they didn't give a shit what the fans do as long as it doesn't infringe on copyright (ie. you making money off the intellectual property).

And btw you cannot kill this game. Its open source and lives on the internet. Imagine trying to get piss out of a pool.

Now the smart thing to do is to get together. Start a kickstarter project like HUNDREDS of Star Trek fan projects have. Get some money, and hire a temp staff to finish the game. If you think CBS/Paromount would care then you obviously have no experience dealing with them. I even offered last year to run the projects cause I have contacts in these companies.

And BTW if

Star Trek Continues
Star Trek: Phase II
Star Trek: Renegades
Star Trek: Of Gods and Men
Star Trek: Hidden Frontier
Star Trek: Dark Armada
Star Trek: Anaxar

did kick starters and successfully finished the project without CBS/Paromount getting involved Im sure Supremacy / BOTF 2 would be fine.

And no I don't have the time to do programming / art for BOTF 2. My company has to release a new mobile and a new desktop OS next year. That take 110% of my time.
Last edited by JeanNYGUARD on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

Iceman wrote:
JeanNYGUARD wrote: I built the startreksupremacy.com website years ago.

Suggestion, can you get the site up to date? That'd be a great way of helping! It'd give the game more visibility.
When I get some free time I will.

Between my 9-5, 2nd job, and training for a boxing match... Im busy. Ill try to get to it by end of January.
JeanNYGUARD
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by JeanNYGUARD »

cleverwise wrote:I agree that in the current state CBS doesn't need to be contacted. However that doesn't mean at some point CBS wouldn't be interested in licensing. I still firmly believe that something like a well funded Kickstarter project could work given the right group of people (developers and visionaries).

At the end of the day CBS only cares about profit and money. If they were approached with you'll get x dollars from every title sold and have no financial risk many companies will dance as long as you don't harm their brand. [Side note: I am NOT bashing their interests in money as they have a company to run and that is their language. I, for one, believe in capitalism.]

After all look at Star Trek Axanar (that is totally third party). However, I will repeat this, BotF 2 type games are no where near ready for that but nothing is impossible with the right vision and leadership period. So who knows what the future holds.
They have no interest. Trust me I have spoken to them numerous times. They don't want to devote any resources into fan developed projects. They are only concerned with the current JJ universe and projects that will bring in a great deal of money.

Return to “Supremacy”