What can I do to help

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: What can I do to help

Post by Danijel »

Iceman wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:18 pm So I'm working on the next patch and I've been improving some SitReps.
Anyone wants to help with a Borg version for this one :?:

Code: Select all

[SITREP_NEGATIVE_TREASURY]
Insufficient funds to pay for the fleet's maintenance.  All production has been suspended.
Well, all jokes aside, but putting "..." is more on her side of statement than anything we will come up with,...
She will never ,...ever say that she lacks anything,....
► Show Spoiler
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

This is the best I could come up with last night. It's crap, so hopefully someone that can actually write will chime in :oops:

[SITREP_NEGATIVE_TREASURY_BORG]
Unable to link any more drones to the collective consciousness.  All production has been suspended.
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Unable to comply, resource allocation in progress, production delayed!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

We could use "Unable to comply" as a dialogue when you order a ship to be built in a shipyard and credits are <=0 (and not allow that ship to be queued :?: ).
But in this SitRep (which is triggered during shipbuilding when credits are negative [because more ships means more maintenance costs]), we should probably explain what it means :?:
Getting a Summary entry saying "Unable to comply, resource allocation in progress, production delayed!" doesn't tell you much.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Is this sitrep in regards to credits, or resources (D,D,D)?
Since in canon Borg don't use credits, it doesn't really matter what the sitrep is, it matters only to get the message across to the player. The tone is irrelevant in my book.
If it is resources, then something along the lines of "Additional resources are needed to continue construction of Borg vessels" would be fine.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the6the wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:10 am Is this sitrep in regards to credits, or resources (D,D,D)?
Since in canon Borg don't use credits, it doesn't really matter what the sitrep is, it matters only to get the message across to the player. The tone is irrelevant in my book.
This one is related to credits; which for the Borg gameplay is not actually related to credits but to maintenance of their fleet. If for any reason the Borg will end up with more ships than they can support, they get this sitrep. This should only happen if they lose colonies and their support goes down; their support should probably be independent of population, to avoid such situations.

The point of this message was to to convey that shipbuilding is suspended because no more central plexuses can be interconnected ("Unable to link any more drones to the collective consciousness").

If it is resources, then something along the lines of "Additional resources are needed to continue construction of Borg vessels" would be fine.
Added. :up:
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Iceman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:18 pm
The point of this message was to to convey that shipbuilding is suspended because no more central plexuses can be interconnected ("Unable to link any more drones to the collective consciousness").

Added. :up:
I kinda like the whole "drones" lingo. Call me crazy, but..

What do you think about replacing the word "credits" for "drones" across the whole gameplay for the Borg?
I.e: main screen would show the term "drones" instead of "credits", all sitreps to use the term "drones", upkeep in "drones", etc..
It's not like the Borg will be accepting or giving any credit-related treaties to or from other civs, where the credits would be the only possible solution.
We could really use phrasing like "Unable to link any more drones to the collective consciousness", or "more drones needed to.." in sitreps and in audio.
Plus, in canon it makes more sense, since the Borg don't use credits at all.
Just a thought..
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the6the wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:10 am I kinda like the whole "drones" lingo. Call me crazy, but..

What do you think about replacing the word "credits" for "drones" across the whole gameplay for the Borg?
I.e: main screen would show the term "drones" instead of "credits", all sitreps to use the term "drones", upkeep in "drones", etc..
Sounds good to me. I'll look into this.
There's still a lot of SitReps that need to be adapted for the Borg - I did that for the Earthquake event in the latest patch, but my writing sucks... :neutral:

It's not like the Borg will be accepting or giving any credit-related treaties to or from other civs, where the credits would be the only possible solution.
The Borg csnnot engage in diplomacy, so this is not really an issue :wink:

We could really use phrasing like "Unable to link any more drones to the collective consciousness", or "more drones needed to.." in sitreps and in audio.
Plus, in canon it makes more sense, since the Borg don't use credits at all.
Just a thought..
Anyone willing to take a shot at writing/rewriting Borg SitReps (or any other SitRep/text for that matter), and recording audio files, is very much welcome!
Better texts provide a better playing experience / immersion. Volunteers, step forward! :mrgreen:

BTW, I added a (missing) diplomacy report for the (rebel) factions of empires.
This was the best I could come up with, we really need smeone that can actually write :wink:

"A discontent faction within the <empire> formed an independent government."
The Founder picture there should be the Jem'Hadar pic.

I'll remove that faction from the list in the next patch, as it apparently doesn't have any colonies left (was probably subjugated).
Attachments
rebels.png
rebels.png (226.78 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the6the wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:10 am What do you think about replacing the word "credits" for "drones" across the whole gameplay for the Borg?
Something like this?
Are there any other places where it reads Credits ?
I'll remove Available Credits from the diplo screen for the Borg.
Attachments
drones.png
drones.png (48.98 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thinking about this a bit more, does this actually make sense :?:
I mean, it should read Drones 0/0 most (or all) of the time. Might be (more) confusing :?:
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Yeah you're right.. probably better off keeping with the word credits..
I just noticed that the descriptions for Borg vessels (some of them anyway) mention how many drones there are on board. New players might think if they scrap them, they can get those drones..
TempestWales
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TempestWales »

With regards to the
'Unable to like any more drones to the collective consciousness', what do you change in order for production to resume? Its not intuitive at all.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 220707.png
Screenshot 2023-09-10 220707.png (338.68 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

TempestWales wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:08 pm With regards to the
'Unable to like any more drones to the collective consciousness', what do you change in order for production to resume? Its not intuitive at all.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 220707.png
Danijel wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:52 pm Unable to comply, resource allocation in progress, production delayed!

:lol:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

TempestWales wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:08 pm With regards to the
Your treasury has gone negative. This message was meant to convey the fact that you cannot build any more ships (but you cannot build anything else either), because you cannot control any more drones (crew). Like I mentioned above, it's crap, and suggestions are welcome.
This only happens (for the Borg) if you have more ships than you can support. To fix this you can either scrap ships until you're in the green again, or wait for your population to grow (if possible) and thus increase support (though this might take a while).

@Danijel, this is not about resources, it's about credits :razz:
I do have your suggestion saved for some other situation though, it's cool.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:43 am Your treasury has gone negative. This message was meant to convey the fact that you cannot build any more ships (but you cannot build anything else either), because you cannot control any more drones (crew).
Should a negative treasury be different for the Borg and only not allow them to build ships :?: Since "credits" are only used for fleet support.
(that is, they would be allowed to build planetary structures [like the Maturation Chambers], perform research, and collect intelligence)
Would it make it too easy for/on them :?:

Return to “Supremacy”