What can I do to help

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

What can I do to help

Post by Iceman »

Here's a few things still needed in the game that people with the appropriate skills (or willing to learn them) can help with:

-= CODE =-

- implementing a 3D tactical combat engine --- Misfire ---

- implementing intelligence --- akido ---

- implementing missing Personnel (Fleet Officers, Covert Operatives)

- expanding the AI, diplomacy, ...

- fixing bugs and issues

-= MAP EDITOR =-

- creating a new / improving the current canon map

- creating more maps

-= COMBAT ENGINE =-

- 3D models for: minor race ships, Echo Papa 607, and special stations (Borg Transwarp Hub, Ferengi Outpost, Edo Guardian and Ocampa Caretaker's Array)

- sound fx --- the6the ---

-= ART =-

- making the missing Game Context Menu images: Dominion, Romulans, updated Federation, [Ferengi]
Resources\UI\(civ)\ContextMenu

- making planet selection images (for terraforming selection) for all the empires based on the Federation one
Resources\UI\(civ)\GalaxyScreen\PlanetSelectionBorder.png

- improving some of the current 3D ship models (Borg, etc)
- creating the missing 3D ship models for the shipyard viewer
DOM_SCIENCE_SHIP_III
DOM_CONSTRUCTION_SHIP_I
CARD_ , KLING_ , ROM_ CONSTRUCTION_SHIP_II
CARD_ , DOM_ , FED_ , KLING_ , ROM_ CONSTRUCTION_SHIP_III
DOM_ , KLING_COLONY_SHIP_III
minor race ships
Resources\Models

- creating image for the Pirate Ship (pirate_ship 3D model)
- improving images of ships, especially minors
- improving images of shipyards (DOM_, ROM_) and space stations
Resources\Images\TechObjects\...

- replacing the low rez insignia of the Karemma (to 300x300)
Resources\Images\Insignias

- improving misc icons
Resources\Images\ScreenIcons\trade_route, morale, industry, etc
Resources\Images\TechObjects\Buildings\trade_goods

- improving random events images

- creating/improving the background image for the Borg [, Ferengi]
\Resources\UI\Borg\Shared\Borg.png
\Resources\UI\Ferengi\Shared\Ferengi.png

-= SOUND =-

- creating the remaining themes for each screen (6~8 for each civ):
Galaxy, Colony, Diplomacy, Science, Intelligence, Assets + System Assault, Space Combat

- creating/improving sound effects for scripted events
Resources\SoundFX\ScriptedEvents

- creating sound effects for colonization events
Resources\SoundFX\General

- creating/improving sound effects in general
Resources\SoundFX\...

-= TEXT =-

- improving any texts that might need it

- renaming either the Coridan Dilithium Cracking Station or the Halkan Dilithium Cracking Station

- writing descriptions for Borg production facilities (Construction Unit, Species Database)
- improving/adapting descriptions of Borg buildings (rename and rework where necessary)
- improving/adapting descriptions of new Dominion buildings
- choosing Class names and writing descriptions for the following ships:
CARD_ , KLING_ , ROM_ CONSTRUCTION_SHIP_II
CARD_ , FED_ , KLING_ , ROM_ CONSTRUCTION_SHIP_III
KLING_COLONY_SHIP_III
Resources\Data\TextDatabase.xml

- writing Race Info texts for rebel factions in the Diplomacy screen, for all empires (including the Ferengi?)

- creating civ-specific diplomacy messages, and different ones according to Tone used
Resources\Data\CivStringDatabase.xml
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What can I do to help

Post by Iceman »

We could use some personalized War Declaration texts for some of the empires. Currently there's the Federation text, which is used as default, and the Klingon text.
We need 2 versions, one for the empire declaring war (aggressor), and one for the empire being declared on (victim).
Here are the current texts, for reference, if anyone is willing to tackle this:

Klingons:
The <victim> is not worthy of our friendship! Instead, we will conquer them in war!
The honourless <aggressor> has declared war on us! Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!

Federation:
Aggressive posturing by the <victim> has left us no choice but to declare war!
Truly, the tyranny of the <aggressor> knows no limits. As of today, they have declared war on us.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Here you go Iceman! Probably not my best work, but maybe you can use at least a few of these...

Romulans:

The <victim> has become a threat such that we can ignore them no longer. We declare war!
The perfidious <aggressor> has at last shown their true colors and declared war on us. Let them feel the fire of our blood, and the heat of our disruptors!

Cardassians:

The <victim> has the resources we need to survive in this dangerous galaxy, but they will not simply give them to us; we will have to take them by force. We therefore declare war!
(Alternate): The <victim> stands in the way of our greatness; we must remove them if we are to take our rightful place in the galaxy. We therefore declare war!
The <aggressor> has declared war on us! Let all loyal sons and daughters of Cardassia join together so that we may defeat them!

Ferengi:

The <victim> doesn't have the lobes for business, and it's time for us to aggressively expand into new markets. We invoke the Thirty-fourth Rule and declare war!
The <aggressor> is attempting a hostile takeover against us! We'll show them that we can turn war to our profit as easily as peace!

Dominion:

The <victim> has become a grave threat, even more so than other Solids. They must be eliminated, and so we declare war!
The <aggressor> has declared war on us. We will teach them the error of challenging the Founders!
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks Martok!
I'll include these in the next release, which should probably be next week.
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

You're welcome Iceman!

Feel free to alter the wording (on any of them) as you see fit, by the way. I realize some of them are phrased a bit awkwardly (I was working under a time crunch that morning). :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Not being a native english speaker, they sound fine to me :wink:

Which of the alternatives that you provided for the Cardassians do you prefer?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Iceman wrote:Not being a native english speaker, they sound fine to me :wink:

Heh, fair enough. :cool:

Iceman wrote:Which of the alternatives that you provided for the Cardassians do you prefer?

Well the first one works better for declaring war on minor races, the second one for declaring war on major powers.

If I had to go with just one, however, I'd probably go with the second alternative -- mainly because it's less "wordy".
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, thanks!
I just noticed that there might be a slight "problem" though.
While these phrases work fine when used vs empires, which have a proper Long Name, they do not work so well vs minors, which do not.
Meaning, "The United Federation of Planets has declared war on us!" is semanthically (sp?) correct, "The Akritirians has declared war on us!" not so much... Not much of a problem currently, as minors don't declare war yet, but eventually this might need to be addressed.
It can fixed on the code side, but if we could fix it on the data side, it'd be better.

BTW, since you do have a way with words, if you would like to write the missing ship descriptions, that'd be great! :wink:
Reginald
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Reginald »

maybe change to "The [minor race] Akritirians has declared war on us!" - maybe this helps :-)

you're doing a great job, guys
Mr Sneek
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Mr Sneek »

Iceman wrote:Ok, thanks!
I just noticed that there might be a slight "problem" though.
While these phrases work fine when used vs empires, which have a proper Long Name, they do not work so well vs minors, which do not.
Meaning, "The United Federation of Planets has declared war on us!" is semanthically (sp?) correct, "The Akritirians has declared war on us!" not so much... Not much of a problem currently, as minors don't declare war yet, but eventually this might need to be addressed.
It can fixed on the code side, but if we could fix it on the data side, it'd be better.

BTW, since you do have a way with words, if you would like to write the missing ship descriptions, that'd be great! :wink:
Dunno if it's still necessary to help in this department. I'm not a native english-speaker either but I do think I have a sufficient grasp of the language to at least be of some assistance.. As for the sentences "The United Federation of Planets has declared war on us!" and "The Akritirians has declared war on us!" why not just omit 'has'? I believe "The United Federation of Planets declared war on us!" and "The Akritirians declared war on us!" could also be used and might solve the problem. The present tense could even be used I think: "The United Federation of Planets declare war on us!", "The Akritirians declare war on us!".
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Duh! Ofc,thanks! I guess I was trying to keep all sitreps with the style Mike used. But this works, I have fixed all the ones needing fixing (I think).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Next release will have descriptions for all Klingon and Dominion ships, and all minor races too. And a bunch of other improvements.
Thanks Kieran!
ratdog
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by ratdog »

No problem. I look forward to testing the new version out.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I've added the Borg buildings and the random event images to the list.

Next release should have some new stuff like some work on UI themes for the rest of the civs, new (starmap) tracks for the Klingons and Cardassians, and the Cardassian Game Context Menu.
We also have people working on the other Game Context Menus and new UI theme layouts. Stay tuned!
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Known problems

Post by Valcoren »

as for some artwork. can you provide me with a "list of incomplete(s)" to work from?

Return to “Supremacy”