What can I do to help

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: What can I do to help

Post by Iceman »

Ok, so we need help with the texts once again, this time for the intel SitReps.
A few more will be needed down the road, but for now, this is what we need.

The HEADER texts are short descriptions of the event, used in both the Summary screen (with all the SitReps for the turn) and the header (in white in the attached pic) of the details dialog.

Code: Select all

[SITREP_SABOTAGE_ATTACK_HEADER_VICTIM]
We suffered a sabotage attack in {0}.

[SITREP_ESPIONAGE_ATTACK_HEADER_VICTIM]
We suffered an espionage attack in {0}.

[SITREP_SABOTAGE_ATTACK_HEADER_AGGRESSOR]
Our sabotage mission in {0} was successful.

[SITREP_ESPIONAGE_ATTACK_HEADER_AGGRESSOR]
Our espionage mission in {0} was successful.

The DETAILS texts provide more information about the event, and are used in the details section (in yellow in the attached pic) of the detailed event dialog.
I was thinking of having 2 parts, a generic description/phrase (1st section below), and a specific description of the type of event (2nd section).

Currently, the HEADER and DETAILS (1st section below) texts are the same, but we want to change that ofc.

[SITREP_SABOTAGE_ATTACK_DETAILS_VICTIM]
We suffered a sabotage attack in {0}.

[SITREP_ESPIONAGE_ATTACK_DETAILS_VICTIM]
We suffered an espionage attack in {0}.

[SITREP_SABOTAGE_ATTACK_DETAILS_AGGRESSOR]
Our sabotage mission in {0} was successful.

[SITREP_ESPIONAGE_ATTACK_DETAILS_AGGRESSOR]
Our espionage mission in {0} was successful.

The 2nd section texts (or at least some of them) will need 2 versions at some point, one for the aggressor and one for the victim, with different information being provided ofc.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_SHIP]
A starship under construction was destroyed.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_SHIPYARD]
The shipyard was rendered inoperational.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_CREDITS]
{0} credits were diverted to a secret account operated by our intelligence.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_COLONY]
Information about a previously unknown colony has been revealed.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_COLONIES]
The location of all previously unknown colonies has been revealed.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_MORALE]
Propaganda spread by our operatives has sapped morale in the colony.

[SITREP_INTEL_ATTACK_DETAILS_FACILITIES]
The colony's {0} production infrastructure was affected.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :up:
Attachments
KlingonsSabotageRomulus.png
KlingonsSabotageRomulus.png (189.3 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

We need to change the Encyclopedia entry for the Borg. Doesn't/might not make much sense, especially if you're playing the Borg... :roll:
Something more descriptive (like the other civs) and less "dramatic".
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

And we need to rename either the Coridan Dilithium Cracking Station or the Halkan Dilithium Cracking Station. :roll:
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Post by redhat1968 »

Iceman,
I am an original player of BOTF and have followed along with you in the development of Supremacy. My kids are older and I am having back surgery (trust me, a good thing) so I will have more time on my hands and would like to help. I am best at writing and testing, but I am also intuitive and will pick up on the code and balancing equations as we go along. I will take on the Borg encyclopedia entry. Also, I will work on renaming one of the cracking station if no one else has offered. I have done quite a bit of oil and gas accounting so I can come up with a synonym for cracking.

I have a few questions as to how far certain features are implemented:
1. On the embassy screen, if I select a civ, click on "No Envoy", and choose an envoy, how do I "Make it So" to use Picard speak. There seems to be no selection button. Is my resolution off, cutting off the bottom of my screen?

2. How far has the implementation of Intel progressed. As the Feds, I have ran into both the Cardies and Doms by Turn 125 and it seems that a few level 2 Databanks has held off their prying eyes.

3. One Terrorist attack in 134 turns seems reasonable.

4. Surveyors can only study a particular phenomenon once, even though there might be multiple Nebulas or Ion Storms, etc.

5. Was it decided to significantly tone down the population size of the uninhabitable planets. In two games so far, the Feds have not come across any non Civ planets greater than 150 and no Class M planets. Is this just dumb luck?

6. The installation of the software is so easy that it is hard! Do you mind if I create a simple thread that spells out the steps of installation.

Thanks for allowing me to be a part if this process. Tell me the best way to submit material for your approval.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

redhat1968 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:58 pm Iceman,
I am an original player of BOTF and have followed along with you in the development of Supremacy.
Hey redhat, glad to see you back/still around!

My kids are older and I am having back surgery (trust me, a good thing) so I will have more time on my hands and would like to help.
Hope everything goes well with the surgery!
Your help will be very welcome, and if it helps you with the recovery process, great!

I am best at writing and testing, but I am also intuitive and will pick up on the code and balancing equations as we go along. I will take on the Borg encyclopedia entry. Also, I will work on renaming one of the cracking station if no one else has offered. I have done quite a bit of oil and gas accounting so I can come up with a synonym for cracking.
Awesome! There's a lot of writing/rewriting needed right now. The new Dominion buildings, the Borg buidings and production facilities (mostly taken off the net), the new(est) ships (colony ships and construction ships and others), it's all in the original post of this thread. The encyclopedia and the cracking station are all yours, thanks :wink:
Testing is also a good thing, there might a lot of balancing needed for all the different combos (galaxy type and size, starting tech level, research rate, etc).
There's a few threads with balancing questions and feedback, and explaining the game mechanics.

I have a few questions as to how far certain features are implemented:
1. On the embassy screen, if I select a civ, click on "No Envoy", and choose an envoy, how do I "Make it So" to use Picard speak. There seems to be no selection button. Is my resolution off, cutting off the bottom of my screen?
Is the Assign button active? If not (button is dimmed out), for some reason the envoy cannot be assigned - homesystem of the civ has not been revealed yet, the civ is at war with you, or something else.
If you cannot actually see the button, it could be a resolution problem. Which rez are you using?
But that would mean you would not be able to see other stuff in (the lower part of) other screens too... do you have that problem? I guess you would have reported it if you do.

2. How far has the implementation of Intel progressed. As the Feds, I have ran into both the Cardies and Doms by Turn 125 and it seems that a few level 2 Databanks has held off their prying eyes.
There's some intel code done, but it's disabled because it's still a bit punishing :twisted: Intel will be a lot of work...

3. One Terrorist attack in 134 turns seems reasonable.
As long as you keep the Intel PFs manned, with at least an output equal to 1/2 the colony's population (modified by some other stuff like Computers tech level and unemployment), you should be ok'ish - all you might lose is a turn of production. Full pop means total protection.

4. Surveyors can only study a particular phenomenon once, even though there might be multiple Nebulas or Ion Storms, etc.
Each surveyor *level*, yes. You can survey say a nebula with a surveyor I for example, and then survey it again with a surveyor II (but not the other way around), and then with a III (with some minor race surveyors in between). That is, you can survey again if the surveyor has a Science Ability higher than the current survey level of the phenomenon (shown in the lower panel info text). Once you build a Science Station in the phenomenon though, no more surveying is possible in that particular sector - but you get research points every turn!

5. Was it decided to significantly tone down the population size of the uninhabitable planets. In two games so far, the Feds have not come across any non Civ planets greater than 150 and no Class M planets. Is this just dumb luck?
That's luck, yes. Sometimes I get a bunch of 200+ pop systems around my starting location, and you can even get the odd 500+ if you're really lucky. I just had this start with a 300 and a 340 pop systems 1 turn away from my homesystem.

6. The installation of the software is so easy that it is hard! Do you mind if I create a simple thread that spells out the steps of installation.
:lol: No, I don't mind at all! Please do! We can then sticky it. :up:

Thanks for allowing me to be a part if this process. Tell me the best way to submit material for your approval.
Thank you for wanting to participate! The more people working on the game, the faster it will get done.
As for submitting material, whatever you prefer works for me. PM, email, here in the forums, in the Downloads section of the BitBucket repo, or any other option you may prefer.
Attachments
assign.png
assign.png (46.25 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by the6the »

Hey Iceman,

I've sent you the improved (I hope) Borg SFX

I'll take a look at the music levels now, hopefully that will be an easy fix
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:up:

I'll include them in the patch I'll release later today, with erazortt's fleet management AI - it is ready for testing, and we're counting on you guys to help with that :wink:
I'll just play a few more turns watching the AI play, but so far it seems to be doing well.
I recruited my first agent in turn 79, on a Medium galaxy, with the new formula, let's see how that goes.
The research rate also seems ok with the new thresholds.
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Post by redhat1968 »

Iceman,
I have been working offline, but making progress understanding each of the files in order to contribute.

I noticed the Dominion and Borg greetings have too much bass in the recordings. I have experience editing audio and can equalize the loudness of each file to ACX standards. This will help reduce the overall volume of the 2 clips.

"1. On the embassy screen, if I select a civ, click on "No Envoy", and choose an envoy, how do I "Make it So" to use Picard speak. There seems to be no selection button. Is my resolution off, cutting off the bottom of my screen?", I think this was a resolution issue. I was playing as the Feds and had Archer so I should have been able to select him.

More updates to come, but tonight is the Super Bowl...
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I have been working offline, but making progress understanding each of the files in order to contribute.
If you need any help, ask away!

I noticed the Dominion and Borg greetings have too much bass in the recordings. I have experience editing audio and can equalize the loudness of each file to ACX standards. This will help reduce the overall volume of the 2 clips.
Crap!
I forgot to include the6the's new soundFX for the Borg in the patch... will re-upload right away!

More updates to come, but tonight is the Super Bowl...
:grin: Have fun!
redhat1968
Ensign
Ensign

Post by redhat1968 »

Iceman,
I have reviewed relevant internet sites and re-watched some of the episodes. Below, is a prospective encyclopedia entry to go in the Race.xml file. It seems that some of the Empire entries in this file expanded on the history of the race while others talked about the Empire's effect on the game. If you would rather have me add more history I can and have plenty of notes to use. Also, feel free to correct any of my southern American, redneck, hillbilly verbiage that is not suitable for Her Majesty's English.

"
The Borg are cybernetic advanced beings from the Delta Quadrant that supplement biological processes with technological enhancements. They are the ultimate user of raw materials, knowledge, technologies, and sentient species consumed through assimilation.

Strength is irrelevant. Borg ships represent simple geometric shapes, but these ships use Transwarp Hubs to quickly travel to the far reaches of the galaxy and can decimate entire enemy fleets. During a planetary assault, the Borg inject nanaprobes into the bloodstream of enemy population to subdue, control, and convert them into assimilated drones to continue the fight. This effectively doubles their combat ability over the average race. Strong planetary shields protect Borg worlds from orbital bombardment and assault.

Freedom is irrelevant. Self-Determination is irrelevant. The Borg functions as a Collective. They are linked to a hive mind which allows information from every drone to be shared in order to adapt to threats, making enemy weapons and shields useless. The Borg are led by a queen who ensures absolute compliance of drones and destroys those that do not follow her in unison with the Collective.

Discussion is irrelevant. Borg diplomacy merely serves as an announcement to potential adversaries that assimilation is imminent. Occasionally, the Borg Queen herself, or other designated drones are used to convince adversaries that the Borg only wish to raise the quality of life for all species.

Internal security is irrelevant. The Borg do not perceive small scale espionage and sabotage attacks as a danger. Intelligence gathering efforts are geared towards seeking out new targets and adapting to existing threats. The quest for Borg 'perfection' directs research efforts towards the creation and stabilization of Particle 010, or the Omega Molecule. They hold it in godlike reverence and believe it to exist in a flawless state. This drives Borg expansion efforts in order to share the secrets of this volatile substance with species worthy of assimilation throughout the galaxy.
"
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

redhat1968 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:00 pm It seems that some of the Empire entries in this file expanded on the history of the race while others talked about the Empire's effect on the game.
Well, I guess the Encyclopedia entry should focus more on history, and the description in the start screen should focus more on game effects?

If you would rather have me add more history I can and have plenty of notes to use.
The text is really good! :up:
It sums up the Borg pretty well.

Also, feel free to correct any of my southern American, redneck, hillbilly verbiage that is not suitable for Her Majesty's English.
:mrgreen: The texts are written in HME because initially the person in charge of them was british. That approach was kept, though Mike (Strobel, the game's creator) is american and some ingame texts were US.
I guess most people would prefer US over UK english, it shouldn't be too hard to change.

Oh, and Tom Brady is da man, eh? :wink:
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Small BorgSFX pack sent.

Also, I did two of the three problematic music volumes. I'm not happy with the cardassianmusic.. you can hear the changes in volume I made.. It's a strange track with strange anomalies.
The cirrus march I'm actually happy with.
Romulandiplomacy track will have to wait.. its got serious issues..

I lowered the master volume on both of these tracks. Lemme know if this new max volume works better, I could do that to all the tracks if so.
Amplifying small sections of the tracks can be difficult to do without leaving a trace of sorts.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Ok, I'll check them tomorrow. Thanks!
I could do that to all the tracks if so.
There may be more that need to be checked, those 3 were the more obvious ones.
Not sure if the volume of the tracks is in line with the soundFX too.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Actually, I managed to check them today.
They look good.
It seems to me that the AlienCultureFound.wav sound if a bit too low?
Don't know if there are any others, will try to check.
Thanks!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:up:
Attachments
Borg.png
Borg.png (686.24 KiB) Viewed 5706 times

Return to “Supremacy”